Thessaloniki Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Thessaloniki Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
After about one hour of sleep I woke up, because I was surrounded by about 10 wild dogs which tried to bite my head off. -Christof
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Thessaloniki Airport.
What to Expect
- A busy three-story single-terminal international airport with a shopping center, restaurants and bars. 24-hour dining is available!
- Power outlets are difficult to find, but there is one over by the restroom opposite Entrance A.
- There are reports of homeless people seen overnight in the airport terminal.
Where to Sleep
- While no particular sleeping spot was mentioned, reviewers overall felt safe spending the night. The airport’s seat are hard and metal, but armrest-free so you can stretch. Have a sleeping bag or travel mat and blanket handy for added comfort and warmth.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Once you check-in, the agent does not take your luggage. You need to take it to another queue to weigh and drop-off.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Thessaloniki Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Thessaloniki airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Skyserv Manolis Andronikos Lounge - Location: Main Terminal, Airside, next to Gate A3. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£24.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- VIP Phillipos Lounge - Location: Airside, International Departures Hall.
WiFi is available at Thessaloniki Airport inside the lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ] At the time of this update, we did not have any information about WiFi availability elsewhere in the terminal.
If sleeping in Thessaloniki Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Life Hotel - (20 min walk or 3 min ride from the airport) A small 24-room hotel located near the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Iris Hotel - (20 min walk or 5 min ride from the airport) A small budget hotel near the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free hotel shuttle goes to/from the bus parking area at the airport.
- Avalon Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle, upon request.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Thessaloniki Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATM / Cash Machines - Yes. There are 3 banks that provide ATM’S within the Terminal.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Area - Yes, there is a children’s activity centre available called “the smile of the child”. Location and hours are not known.
- Currency Exchange - Yes, available.
- Food & Drinks - There are is restaurant that is open 24 hours. Additionally there are 5 smaller food and beverages concessions.
- Information Desk - Location: International Arrivals, ground floor.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - The left luggage office is open 24 hours.
- Medical Services - Yes, the Medical Centre is open 24/7. Location: Not known.
The airport is open 24 hours.
OASTH public bus route 78 travels between Macedonia Intercity Bus Station in western Thessaloniki and the airport, with departures every 30 minutes. Stops along the route include Platia Aristotelous, in the city center, and Neos Sidirodromikos Stathmos, Thessaloniki’s main railway station. Route 78N runs the same route in the evening and late night hours, and route 78A makes one single trip at 5:00AM in the direction of the airport. A complete one-way journey from the intercity bus station to the airport takes about 40 minutes and costs € 2.00 (students and senior citizens pay € 1.00). Tickets can be purchased on board from a ticket machine using exact change, as the machine does not make change. For more information on these routes and other public buses, go to the OASTH website.
Avis, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt have car rental kiosks inside the Arrivals Hall of the passenger terminal.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service:
- Athina Palace Hotel - available upon request
- Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki - available on request. Airport pick-up location: bus parking lot.
- Avalon Hotel Thessaloniki - Shuttle Hours: 24 hours, upon request. Travel time to the airport is approx. 5 minutes.
There is a taxi rank outside of the Arrivals Hall of the passenger terminal. A one-way trip between the airport and city center by taxi takes around 30 minutes and costs about € 20. During rush hour, it may be difficult to secure a taxi from city center to the airport, so allow plenty of time for this if attempting to hire a taxi from the street. If possible, pre-book your taxi ride to the airport.
Last Updated: 01 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.