Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Thessaloniki Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
After about one hour of sleep I woke up, because I was surrounded by about 10 wild dogs which tried to bite my head off. -Christof
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Thessaloniki Airport.
What to Expect
- A busy three-story single-terminal international airport with a shopping center, restaurants and bars. 24-hour dining is available!
- Power outlets are difficult to find, but there is one over by the restroom opposite Entrance A.
- There are reports of homeless people seen overnight in the airport terminal.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- While no particular sleeping spot was mentioned, reviewers overall felt safe spending the night. The airport’s seat are hard and metal, but armrest-free so you can stretch. Have a sleeping bag or travel mat and blanket handy for added comfort and warmth.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Once you check-in, the agent does not take your luggage. You need to take it to another queue to weigh and drop-off.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Thessaloniki Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Life Hotel – (20 minute walk or 3 minute drive from the airport) A small 24-room hotel located near the airport. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Iris Hotel – (20 minute walk or 5 minute drive from the airport) A small budget hotel near the airport. No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Free hotel shuttle goes to/from the bus parking area at the airport. » Check Rates
- Avalon Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle, upon request. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Thessaloniki Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Thessaloniki Airport inside the lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ] At the time of this update, we did not have any information about WiFi availability elsewhere in the terminal.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: unknown.
Children’s Play Area – There is a children’s activity centre available called “the smile of the child”. Location and hours are not known.
Currency Exchange – Available.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free shopping is available.
Food & Drinks – At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour food and beverage concessions available at this airport. There is restaurant that is open from 6:00AM to 11:00PM. Additionally there are 5 smaller food and beverages concessions.
Information Desk – Need help finding your way? An information desk can be found in the International Arrivals area, on the ground floor.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – The left luggage office is open 24 hours.
Luggage Wrapping – Protect your bags by having them covered with plastic wrap. Location: Arrival building, first floor.
Medical Services – If you require medical attention, the Medical Centre is open 24/7. Location: unknown.
Post Office – Available.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2018, Thessaloniki airport is served by the following airlines: Lufthansa • Turkish Airlines • Swiss • KLM • British Airways • SAS • Air Canada • Austrian Airlines • Aegean Airlines • Qatar Airways.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is served by bus no 78 which runs every half hour. As of this January 2018 update, no further information is available.
Avis, Hertz and Sixt have car rental kiosks inside the Arrivals Hall of the passenger terminal.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service:
There is a taxi rank outside of the Arrivals Hall of the passenger terminal.
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.