Doha Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Doha Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The family quiet room has lounge chairs for sleeping/resting and is secluded from the foot path of the gates and shopping center so it was very pleasant to spend the night there.
review by Gabriel Britto
May 2015 - I had the chance to test DOH in two nights during my trip: 9 hours in the first one (going to my destination) and 8 hours in the second one (coming back home). What I have to tell you after this experience is:
- Don't put a lot of expectations in the Quiet Rooms. They are not that quiet because a lot of people go in and out of it without much respect for the sleeping others. Also, the lights are always on, it's freezing cold and the chairs have a hump in the middle and non-reclinable backs, making it impossible to sleep in a comfortable position. My tips for those who have to use it are: don't forget to take ear plugs, sleeping mask and a very good, warm jacket (along with socks, hood and maybe gloves). If you have the chance, take a sleeping bag with you and sleep on the floor, in the darker corners of the Quiet Rooms. It will be much better than on the chairs.
- The Oryx Lounge is a good option if you are lucky enough to take a couch for you (there are only 3). If you don't have this luck, be prepared to sleep in chairs better that the ones in the Quiet Rooms, but far away from being comfortable enough. Also, if you want to take a shower before your flight, consider do it before sleeping, because the queue for the shower is long in the early morning (they have only one). The food is good, though.
As I said in the title of this review: you will survive. But I will try to get a good price for the airport hotel next time.
Have you been to Doha Hamad Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Doha Hamad airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Oryx Lounge - Location: Airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (QAR 140).
Free WiFi is available at Doha Airport. Connect to the "Free internet by HIA" network.
Additionally, there are free internet kiosks and desks located throughout the airport.
If sleeping in Doha Hamad Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel located inside the airport and other nearby hotel options.
- The Airport Hotel - Located inside the airport, just 2 minutes from Immigration and 5 minutes from Gates A10 or B10. Day rooms are available for as little as 5 hours.
- Doha Marriott - (8 min from the airport) Located on the beach a few minutes from the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Oryx Rotana Airport Hotel - (12 min from the airport) Located on the grounds of the old Doha Airport. Airport transfers can be arranged directly through the hotel ($). Day rooms are available for 6 hours until 6pm.
- Century Hotel - (15 min from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged directly through the hotel ($).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotel deals in Doha on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
As this is a new airport, not a lot of details are know yet.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are two ATMs. Location: Bus Pavillion outside the Arrivals Hall, Level 0.
- Baby Care Rooms - Parents travelling with small infants can use one of the Parent's Rooms located throughout the airport. Facilities are equipped with water/milk warmers and diaper changing stations.
- Children's Play Areas - The airport offers five activity zones with televisions, internet, toys, mini-rides and climbing frames. Locations: Airside, Concourse A • Airside, Concourse B • Airside, Concourse C.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has four currency exchange counters. Locations: Check-in Hall, Row 9 • Departures concourse, Concourse B, near Marche Restaurant • Arrivals, Baggage Claim, Belt 3 • Arrivals Hall, Meet & Greet Area, adjacent to Al Maha Lounge.
- Duty Free Shopping - In addition to airside duty free shopping, there is another duty free shopping located in the Arrivals area.
- Family Toilets - Yes
- Fitness Center - The Vitality Wellbeing & Fitness Centre offers a swimming pool, hydrotherapy tub, gym, showers and two squash courts. Location: The Airport Hotel ( see Airport Hotels above). Rate: 120 QAR. Massages and spa treatments are available at an additional charge. The squash court also has an additional fee which includes racquets, balls and shoes.
- Food & Drinks - The following concessions are open 24 hours:
»Landside: Jamocha Cafe
»Airside: Eat Street Food Court including Camden Food, Negroni, Azka Red Mango, Soho Coffee, and Burger King • Jamocha Cafe • Le Grand Comptoir • Marche • Qataf Cafe • Soprafino.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Medical Care - There are two 24-hour medical centres: Arrivals Hall, before Passport Control • Departures Hall, Check-in Area.
- Mobile Charging - Information not available
- Prayer Rooms - Locations: Arrivals, Level 2 • Departures Gates, Level 1
- Rest Zones - There is a free Quiet Lounge that offers comfortable seating and a place to rest in between flights. A reader tells us it is located near the MPG store.
- Shopping & Duty Free - The airport offers a variety of shopping from Books (WH Smith) and souvenirs to high-end fashion and jewellery (Burberry, Hugo Boss, Michael Kors, Bvlgari, Harrods, Swarovski, Tiffany)
- Showers - Showers are located in the Vitality Wellbeing & Fitness Center at the Airport Hotel. Follow the signs to the Airport Hotel.
- Smoking Rooms - Yes
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Buses depart from the bus pavilion to the right of arrivals at the terminal. Fare is paid with a Karwa Standard bus card that can be bought from the bus driver.
There are two types of cards: a limited card available at about $3 and valid for two trips in 24 hours, or an unlimited card option, costing $7 and valid for unlimited trips within 24 hours.
There are two bus routes serving the airport, route 109 terminating at the Mesaieed Industrial Area or route 747 ending at the Al Ghanim Bus Station.
Taxis are located just outside the passenger terminal, to the left of arrivals. All taxis are metered and the starting fare is $7, although taxi drivers will only accept local Qatari Riyals. Taxis range from sedans to vans for larger families.
Car rental companies are available at the airport. But you will need to present an international driving licence and a valid credit card is required. You can compare car rental rates on the Auto Europe web site.
If you want to travel in style, then you can book chauffeur-driven limousines from Hamad International Airport to anywhere in Qatar. Pre-booking is through Mowasalat Limousine. On-arrival bookings can be made through the Mowasalat Limousine kiosk in the Arrivals hall.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Doha Hamad Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 02 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.