Doha Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Doha Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The family quiet room has lounge chairs for sleeping/resting and is secluded from the foot path of the gates and shopping center so it was very pleasant to spend the night there.
Photo by Gabriel Britto
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here’s the low-down on what travellers have reported to us during their time at Doha Airport.
What to Expect
- This brand new airport, opened in April 2014, is a major transit hub for all continents. Expect lots of travellers and flights all night long.
- There is only 1 terminal, with 5 concourses: A, B, C, D, and E.
- If you’re flying Qatar Airways with a layover between 8-24 hours, you may be eligible for free accommodation, meals, and transfer to/from the airport.
- Airport feels like a mall, with many high-end and duty-free shops.
- Several eateries are open 24-hours (Airside), and only one Landside.
- WiFi is free and unlimited. See more WiFi information below.
Where to Sleep
- Try to grab the couches at the Family & TV areas located at Gates A3 and Concourses B, and C, with some in the central terminal.
- There are several Quiet/Prayer Rooms, some with reclining chairs. Unfortunately they are rarely quiet with so many people coming and going. Gender separation is common.
- Most chairs have armrests, but some carpeted areas are comfortable for floor-sleeping.
- It’s cold, loud, and bright, so come prepared with earplugs, eye masks, blanket and a sweater.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel. See our Airport Hotel section below for more info.
Good to Know
- Showers are located in the two airport lounges or the Vitality Wellbeing & Fitness Center at the Airport Hotel.
- All travellers can pay to use one of two airport lounges, though some travellers report even these are crowded and smell of smoke. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Doha Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Doha Hamad airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Al Maha Transit Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 2nd floor. Shower is available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£58 - up to 3 hours or £70 - up to 6 hours) • Priority Pass.
- Oryx Lounge - Location: Airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (QAR 200/US$ 55).
Free WiFi is available at Doha Airport. Connect to the "HIAQatar Complimentary WiFi" network.
Additionally, there are free internet kiosks and desks located throughout the airport.
If sleeping in Doha Hamad Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel located inside the airport and other nearby hotel options.
- The Airport Hotel - Located inside the airport, just 2 minutes from Immigration and 5 minutes from Gates A10 or B10. Day rooms are available for as little as 5 hours.
- Doha Marriott - (8 min from the airport) Located on the beach a few minutes from the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Oryx Rotana Airport Hotel - (12 min from the airport) Located on the grounds of the old Doha Airport. Airport transfers can be arranged directly through the hotel ($). Day rooms are available for 6 hours until 6:00PM.
- Century Hotel - (15 min from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged directly through the hotel ($).
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Doha Hamad Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art in the Airport - Go to an art museum without leaving the airport! Local and international works of art are on display throughout the terminal, courtesy of Qatar Museums. A museum gift shop and cafe are also available onsite.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATM’s can be found throughout the airport both landside and airside, several also dispense multiple currencies.
- Baby Care Rooms - Parents travelling with small infants can use one of the Parent's Rooms located throughout the airport. Facilities are equipped with water/milk warmers and diaper changing stations.
- Children's Play Areas - The airport offers five activity zones with televisions, internet, toys, mini-rides and climbing frames. Locations: Airside, Concourse A • Airside, Concourse B • Airside, Concourse C.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has four currency exchange counters. Locations: Check-in Hall, Row 9 • Departures concourse, Concourse B, near Marche Restaurant • Arrivals, Baggage Claim, Belt 3 • Arrivals Hall, Meet & Greet Area, adjacent to Al Maha Lounge.
- Duty Free Shopping - In addition to airside duty free shopping, there is another duty free shopping located in the Arrivals area.
- Family Toilets - Yes
- Fitness Center - The Vitality Wellbeing & Fitness Centre offers a swimming pool, hydrotherapy tub, gym, showers and two squash courts. Location: The Airport Hotel ( see Airport Hotels above). Rate: 150 QAR. Massages and spa treatments are available at an additional charge. The squash court also has an additional fee which includes racquets, balls and shoes.
- Food & Drinks - The following concessions are open 24 hours:
- Landside: Jamocha Cafe
- Airside: Eat Street Food Court including Camden Food, Negroni, Azka Red Mango, Soho Coffee, and Burger King • Jamocha Cafe • Le Grand Comptoir • Marche • Qataf Cafe • Soprafino.
- Information Desk - Information Booths are located both Landside and Airside on almost all levels.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Lockers are available airside. Locations and rates are unknown.
- Medical Care - There are two 24-hour medical centres: Arrivals Hall, before Passport Control • Departures Hall, Check-in Area.
- Pharmacy - A pharmacy is available in the retail area between Concourse A and B. Hours: unknown.
- Prayer Rooms - Locations: Arrivals, Level 2 • Departures Gates, Level 1
- Rest Zones - The airport’s Quiet Rooms offer comfortable recliners and a peaceful ambiance, with separates facilities for men and women. Quiet Rooms are located throughout the airport terminal, so consult an airport map or Information Desk to find the nearest location.
- Shopping & Duty Free - The airport offers a variety of shopping from Books (WH Smith) and souvenirs to high-end fashion and jewellery (Burberry, Hugo Boss, Michael Kors, Bvlgari, Harrods, Swarovski, Tiffany)
- Showers - Showers are located in the Vitality Wellbeing & Fitness Center at the Airport Hotel. Follow the signs to the Airport Hotel. Showers can also be found in the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking Rooms - Yes
- Spa - see Fitness Center above.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Exit Arrivals Hall and follow the signs to the Bus Pavilion, which is located outside and to the right of the airport terminal. Two bus lines serve the airport: Route 109 to Mesaieed Industrial Area and Route 747 to Al Ghanim Bus Station, both routes with multiple stops in between. Passengers will need a rechargeable Karwa Smartcard 24, available for purchase from the bus driver. The Karwa Smartcard 24 is available as Limited, valid for two trips within 24 hours of first use, and Unlimited, valid for unlimited trips within 24 hours of first use. For more information on fares, schedules and stops, visit the Mowasalat web site.
The Taxi Pavilion is located outside and to the left of the airport terminal. Follow the signs as you exit Arrivals Hall. For safety reasons, use only the taxis operating from the Taxi Pavilion. Sedans, vans and special group taxis are readily available, with Taxi Coordinators on hand to provide additional assistance. Passengers needing a PRM (Person of Reduced Mobility) taxi must make a request as far in advance as possible by calling Mowasalat directly at (+974) 4458 8888. Taxis are metered, with flag drop starting at QAR 25. Cash payments accepted in local currency only.
Car rental agency service desks can be found in the Ground Transportation Centre, located across the street from the terminal as you exit Arrivals Hall. The renter must possess an International Driver’s License, or one issued by a GCC country, and a major credit card. Upon return, the rental can be paid with credit card or cash (local currency only).
Limousines can be booked in advance by calling Mowasalat directly at (+974) 4458 8888, or by booking onsite at the Mowasalat Limousine desk in Arrivals Hall. All major credit cards and cash (local currency only) are accepted.
Last Updated: 05 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.