Calgary Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Calgary Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
A female security officer even directed me to a gate she said was quiet and safe because it was frequently patrolled by security. - snowshoecat
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Calgary Airport.
What to Expect
- The single terminal connects three concourses, A, B, and C.
- Airport staff and security are generally tolerant of travellers who need to stay overnight.
- Travellers report feeling safe.
- One recent reviewer experienced inefficient check-in procedures.
- Dining options are said to be lackluster and uninspired, even in the new terminal. Expect ordinary airport food court fare.
- WiFi is free and unlimited. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overall there’s plenty of chair and bench seating to spread out.
- Find the Starbucks on the 2nd floor - cushioned seats and benches in a secluded area (Jwjessup, September 2012).
- Look for Banff Hall for comfortable leather chairs (Iner211, September 2012).
- Bring an eye mask and earplugs.
- For uninterrupted sleep, several hotels are located at or near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available; see our guide for locations.
- Economy class travellers can buy entry to three airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Calgary Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Calgary airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge - Location: Airside, Domestic/International, Concourse C. Lounge Access: Maple Leaf Club Membership.
- Servisair Chinook Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£27.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Aspire Lounge International Departures - Location: International Terminal, Airside. Showers are available. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£27.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Aspire Lounge Transborder Departures - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Concourse E. Transborder departures only. Showers are available. Hours: 4:30AM - 7:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£24.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Calgary Airport. Connect to the "YYC-Free-WiFi" network.
If sleeping in Calgary Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels at and near the airport with a free airport shuttle:
- Marriott In-Terminal Hotel Calgary Airport - The only hotel located on-site in the airport, connected to the terminal via indoor walkway. Day use rooms available from 8:00AM to 6:00PM. Rates start at $99 for 3-hr block, $129 for 5-hr block, and $179 for 8-hr block maximum.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Calgary Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 9 minutes, and picks up at Pillar 24 at the airport.
- Acclaim Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available. Shuttle runs to the airport every 30 minutes on the hour (seat reservation suggested). For airport pick-up, claim your luggage and use the courtesy phone by Pillar 17 to call the hotel. Airport pick-up is available every 30 minutes at quarter past and quarter to the hour.
- Best Western Premier Freeport Inn & Suites - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available every hour on the ½ hour from 4:00AM to Noon and on demand from Noon to 4:00AM. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone to call the hotel directly.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Calgary Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, Bank of Montreal, Royal Bank, Toronto Dominion Bank, Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce. An USD currency ATM available in Concourse B - other ATM's available throughout the Airport.
- Baby Care Facilities - You can feed and change your baby in comfort and privacy at Nursing Rooms in these locations: Arrivals Level, landside, opposite Baggage Carousel 9 • Arrivals Level, landside, behind Jugo Juice • Departures Level, landside, next to Flippers Arcade and Travelex • Concourse A, airside, near Starbucks • Concourse A, airside, opposite Chili’s Texas Grill • Concourse C, airside, Molson Brewhouse. Changing facilities are also available in Family Rooms, located next to every restroom in the International Terminal. Out of baby wipes? Baby items can be purchased at Sandstone Pharmacy in Banff Hall.
- Barber Shop - Haircuts, hot towel shaves, manscaping and other upscale services are offered at Taylor & Colt. Location: Canada Departures, landside, Rundle Blvd. Hours: 9:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM - 4:00PM (Sat & Sun).
- Business Services - The UPS Store offers a host of business services, office supplies for purchase, shipping and courier services, mailbox rentals, and more. Location: Canada Departures, landside, Rundle Blvd. Hours: 8:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Sat) 9:00AM - 4:00PM (Sun).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - The airport’s interfaith chapel offers a peaceful and spiritual place for prayer and meditation. Location: Mezzanine Level, landside, Canada Departures. Hours: Open 24 hours, but the chapel office is open 10:00AM - 4:00PM (Mon-Fri).
- Children’s Play Area - Fun Zones, mini play structures are available near departure gates throughout the airport. Additionally, soft and colorful YYC Fun Zone play areas are available in these locations:
- Domestic Terminal, landside, Arrivals Level (Door 3) - Suitable for children ages 3 - 5.
- Domestic Terminal, landside, Departures Level (Door 1) - Suitable for children ages 5 - 12.
- International Terminal, landside, Arrivals Level (Door 16)
- International Terminal, airside, International Departures Hall (by Door 3, Gate D72) - Aviation-themed for children ages 3 - 5.
- International Terminal, airside, International Departures (Gate D80) - Calgary Stampede-themed for children ages 5 - 12.
- International Terminal, airside, US Departures Hall (Gate E82) - Aviation-themed for children ages 3 - 5.
- International Terminal, airside, US Departures Hall (Gate E70 - E75) - Alberta Wildlife-themed for children ages 3 - 5.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex. Location: Concourse D, airside, International Departures. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM. • Concourse E, airside, US Departures. Hours: 4:30AM - 7:30PM. • International Plaza, landside, Arrivals. Hours: 8:00AM - 1:00AM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available to departing passengers in the International Departures Hall (Departures Hall D) and US Departures Hall (Departures Hall E). In addition, a wide variety of retail shops are available, with 24-hour shopping available at Mac’s Convenience Stores. Location: Concourses A and C, landside, Arrivals Level.
- Entertainment - Score some points on the latest video games and pinball machines at Flippers Arcade. Four locations are available: Canada Departures, landside, Rundle Blvd. • Canada Departures, airside, Concourse A. Hours: Open 24 hours (both locations).
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: A&W (Concourse D, airside, International Departures) • Tim Horton’s (US Departures, landside).
- Information Desk - General airport information, flight information, and passenger paging are available at the InfoCentre. Location: Departures, airside, International Departures. Hours: Open 24 hours. • Arrivals, landside, International Arrivals Hall. Hours: 8:00AM - 1:00PM • Arrivals, landside, Domestic Arrivals Hall. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers -Coat and luggage storage is available at a rate of CA$ 2- 15 per 24-hour period, depending on the size of the item / luggage. Valid photo ID, boarding pass, and travel itinerary are required in order to use this service. Payment is by credit or debit only. Location: Arrivals Level, landside, Information Booth. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Luggage Wrapping - Protect your luggage, car seats, and more with protective film wrap at YYC Luggage Wrap Express. Fee unknown. Location: International Departures, landside. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:30PM.
- Massage - Self-service Shiatsu Plus massage chairs are available throughout the airport. Fee unknown.
- Medical Services - A full range of comprehensive medical care is available, including preventative medicine, massage therapy, travel clinic, urgent care and more. Walk-ins welcome! Location: Canada Departures, landside, Rundle Blvd. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon-Fri). Closed Saturdays and Sundays.
- Parking - If you need to pick-up a friend or family member, you can park 30 minutes for free in the short term parking, located on the ground level of each parking structure.
- Pet Relief Area - Designated pet relief spots are available on the Arrivals Level, outside of Doors 1, 9, and 17. Waste disposal bags are available onsite.
- Pharmacy - IDA is located on Departures Level East, Concourse D. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Shoe Shine - Franklin’s Shoeshine. Location: Rundle Blvd, landside. • Concourse C, airside, Canada Departures. Hours: 9:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Showers - Showers are available at a few of the lounges [ see Airport Lounges above ] and the OraOxygen Wellness Spa. Rate: $10 for 15 minutes. Location: Departures Level East.(landside). Hours: 9:00AM - 8:00PM (Mon - Fri) and 9:00AM - 6:00PM (Sat - Sun).
- Spa - The OraOxygen Wellness Spa offers oxygen therapy & spa treatments. Locations: Departures Level East (landside) and Departures Level West (landside). Hours: 8:00AM - 9:00AM.
- Spaceport - Learn about space and aeronautics through interactive exhibits and informative displays at the Calgary International SpacePort. Try a flight or motion simulator, see a scale model of the original space shuttle, touch a real moon rock, and more. Admission is always free! Location: Destinations Food Court, 3rd Floor. Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Sat&Sun).
- White Hat Welcome - If you have questions about airport amenities and services, or need help finding your way, seek the assistance of a friendly White Hat Volunteer. Their white cowboy hats and red vests make White Hat Volunteers easy to spot as they roam the airport. One of the services offered at Calgary Airport is the White Hat Ceremony. Started in the ‘50’s by Alderman Don Mackay, staffers in white cowboy hats greeted dignitaries in a ceremony that demonstrates Calgary’s warm western hospitality. Today you can order this service for arriving friends and family, or even yourself!
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport - Downtown Shuttle
Allied Downtown Shuttle Service provides scheduled, on-demand shuttle service between the airport and designated stops within Calgary city limits. Buses depart from the airport Bay 19 for the city every 30 minutes. Passengers can pick up the shuttle from one of thirty designated pick-up points, but must reserve service ahead of time, as the shuttle will only stop at the points where pick-up has been requested. Tickets can be purchased online or at the Allied Shuttle counter from 8:00AM - 12:00AM, located on the airport’s Arrivals Level near Gate C.
Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty operate onsite at the airport’s Rental Car Centre, located across the street from the main terminal on the Departures Level. Discount and Routes Car & Truck Rentals are located offsite, but reachable via courtesy shuttle from Bay 6 outside of the terminal on the Arrivals Level.
Several area hotels provide free airport shuttle service. Some of these hotels can be reached using the phones in the airport Bus Bay. Hotel shuttle airport pick up is available at Bus Bays 16 and 17, located outside of the terminal on the Arrivals Level. Contact your hotel for shuttle service availability and details. Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Port O’ Call Hotel • Best Western Premier Freeport Inn & Suites • Comfort Inn & Suites Airport • Comfort Inn & Suites Calgary Airport North • Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Calgary Airport AB • Courtyard Calgary Airport • Days Inn Calgary Airport • Hampton Inn by Hilton Calgary Airport North • Hilton Garden Inn Calgary Airport • Holiday Inn Express & Suites Airport Calgary • Homewood Suites by Hilton Calgary Airport • Lakeview Signature Inn Calgary Airport • Ramada Plaza Calgary Airport Hotel and Conference Centre • Sandman Hotel & Suites Calgary Airport • Staybridge Suites Calgary Airport.
The following public bus routes operate from Bus Bays 7 and 8 at the airport:
- Route 300 BRT Airport/City Centre - An express, limited stop service to downtown Calgary via Centre Street.
- Route 100 Airport/McKnight-Westwinds LRT station - Service to the McKnight - Westwinds LRT station (LRT Blue Line)
- Route 430 North Crosstown - Service to Northpointe and Sandstone bus terminals.
Red Arrow Motorcoach
Red Arrow provides a daily luxury motorcoach service between Calgary Airport and Edmond, Red Deer, Lethbridge, Fort McMurray and several smaller communities within Alberta. The Red Arrow airport counter is located in Meeting Place B, across from International Arrivals. Buses drop off passengers at the Departures Level of the airport, and pick up new passengers from the airport at Bay 11.
Taxi and Executive Sedan
Taxis are available 24 hours a day at taxi stands located outside on the Arrivals Level. Rates are charged according to the meter, with fares to downtown Calgary in the $40 - $45 range. Wheelchair-accessible taxis are available on-demand at the airport through Associated Cab. Executive sedans provide a premium transportation service, which costs about 25% more than a regular taxi. Executive sedans are available on demand, and are found near the taxi stands.
Last Updated: 15 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.