Halifax Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Halifax Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we found out that there's an airport chapel which also had a room with a bed in it. We were offered the bed by a pilot that was passing by. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.
What to Expect
- A mid-size recently-renovated airport with a decent variety of shopping and dining options
- Most airport restaurants and shops close for the night. Plan ahead and buy your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- One reviewer noted a lack of charging stations.
- Most of the airport seats have armrests, but there are a few 4-seater leather benches and rocking chairs scattered about the airport.
- Friendly and helpful airport staff, especially at the information desk.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Check out the carpeted spot behind the main elevators.
- Many reviewers slept overnight in the Worship Centre airport chapel. Benches are available just outside of the chapel as well.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Halifax Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Halifax airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge - Location: Domestic & International Departures. Lounge Access: Maple Leaf Club Membership • Air Canada ticket holders can purchase a pass at the time of booking or online check-in.
- Free WiFi is available at Halifax Airport. Connect to the "Halifax_Airport" network.
- Three workstations are available for rent. Locations: Main Level across from Security, on the Departures Level across from Gate 22, and near the U.S. check-in counters. Rate: $ 4.95 (plus HST) for 30 minutes.
If sleeping in Halifax Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- ALT Hotel - Connected to the terminal via walkway on the mezzanine level.
- Quality Inn Halifax Airport Hotel - (3 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service, on demand.
- Hilton Garden Inn - (3 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle, available on demand.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Halifax Airport (Shuttle Hours: 24 hours).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Halifax Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tours - Tours can be conducted on Wednesdays from mid-September to mid-June. Tours can be customized to suit your group. Areas that can be visited include the ticket counters, concessions, pre-board screening, airport security, RCMP, International customs and you can also get a chance to meet the drug sniffing dog. Duration: 1 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Art in the Airport - Art and scheduled live music exhibitions are available throughout the airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Four ATMs can be found on the main level (ticketing area, domestic arrivals, food court and retail area). A Royal Bank of Canada full-service ATM is also located on the main level, between the main lobby and domestic arrivals. Three ATMs can be found on the Departures level (departures level entrance, near Beaches Cafe and Bar and across from Starbucks). Another ATM is located on the lower level of the parkade, near the car rental counters. A USD-currency ATM is located in the US Preclearance Departures area.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - There is a non-denominatonal worship centre. Location: Landside, 2nd level, Mezzanine. Hours: open 24 hours
- Children's Play Area - Several children’s play areas are located airside, throughout the Departures area of the airport terminal. Gate 18 offers a KidPort.
- Currency Exchange - International Currency Exchange offers currency exchange, lottery tickets, travel insurance and more. Location: Main Level, landside Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - There are two duty free shops at the airport. One is located on the Departures Level, across from Gate 24, and closes 45 min prior to departure of non-US international flights. The other duty free shop, located in the US Pre-Clearance facility, stays open for all US-bound international flights and closes at last call. All other retail shops in the airport close around 9:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Tim Horton’s (Airport Square, landside, Main Level).
- Information Desk - The Visitor Information Centre (VIC) offers brochures, maps and special event information. Location: Main Level, landside, Domestic Arrivals Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Coats, boots and baggage can be stored in the Security Office for up to two weeks. Valid, up-to-date boarding pass for onward travel is required. Cost per item, per day is $3 - $5 and $15 - $25 per week, depending on size. Weekly rates available. Location: Security Office, Centre Tunnel, Room B085 Hours: 24 hours.
- Observation Deck - Take the glass elevators in the main lobby to the observation deck on the third level. There is also an aircraft viewing window on the main level.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
MetroX bus route 320 links the airport to downtown Halifax, with departures as frequent as every 30 minutes during peak times. Bus fare is $3.50 one-way. Contact Metro Transit for details.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite on the lower level of the airport parkade: Alamo/National, Avis, Budget, Dollar/Thrifty, Enterprise and Hertz.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport • Quality Inn Halifax Airport.
Taxis and Shuttles
Metered taxis and shared-ride shuttles are available in the ground transportation area of the airport. Maritime Bus offers service between the airport and several location in the Maritimes. Airport Express offers seasonal service to downtown Halifax for $22 one-way, or $40 roundtrip. Several other companies offer shuttle service (some are seasonal) to Sydney, Annapolis Valley, Yarmouth, Truro and Prince Edward Island. Contact your service provider for details.
Last Updated: 22 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.