Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Halifax Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
we found out that there’s an airport chapel which also had a room with a bed in it. We were offered the bed by a pilot that was passing by. – a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Halifax Stanfield International Airport.
What to Expect
Halifax Stanfield is a modern, single-terminal airport with a fair number of shopping and dining options, though only the Tim Hortons coffee shop on the main (landside) level stays open 24 hours. The airport, which has undergone significant renovations in recent years, is clean and staff are known for being friendly and helpful. There is free WiFi , but a noticeable lack of charging areas and outlets. For additional comfort, there is a first-class airport lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
While airport staff and security are generally accommodating to overnight sleepers, passengers are restricted to the landside area when security checkpoints close for the night, and will need to re-clear security upon its morning opening. While there is a fair amount of seating throughout the airport, most is metal framed with armrests, though there are few four-seater leather benches scattered about. While many reviewers reported sleeping overnight in the Worship Centre airport chapel, another option to consider is the observation deck on the second floor above the main hall between check-in and arrivals. While the seating there is subject to change, it is known for being quiet and having dim lighting. For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel connected to the terminal and some other hotels are a quick shuttle ride away. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
Passengers flying to the U.S pre-clear customs and immigration in Halifax.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Halifax Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
At Airport ALT Hotel
Connected to the terminal via walkway on the mezzanine level. » Check Rates
Near Airport Quality Inn Halifax Airport Hotel
(3 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle service, on demand. » Check Rates
Near Airport Hilton Garden Inn
(3 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle, available on demand. » Check Rates
Near Airport Holiday Inn Express & Suites Halifax Airport
(4 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Halifax Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Halifax Airport. Connect to the “Halifax_Airport” network.
Three workstations are available for rent. Locations: Main Level across from Security, on the Departures Level across from Gate 22, and near the U.S. check-in counters. Rate: $ 4.95 (plus HST) for 30 minutes.
- Postal Services – International Currency Exchange has a letters-only postal kiosk. Location: Main Level. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas. Locations: Airside, throughout the Departures area of the airport terminal. Check out the KidPort at Gate 18.
- Nursing Room – A designated space is available for those wishing to breastfeed in privacy. 4 soft chairs, a sink and a changing table are included. Location: Main level, between the food court and the Art Gallery. Hours: 24 hours.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Tim Horton’s (Airport Square, landside, Main Level).
- Information Desk – The Visitor Information Centre (VIC) offers brochures, maps and special event information. Location: Main Level, landside, Domestic Arrivals Hours: 9:00AM – 4:30PM (Mon – Fri), hours may be extended during high-season.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Coats, boots and baggage can be stored in the Security Office for up to two weeks. Valid, up-to-date boarding pass for onward travel is required. Cost per item, per day is $3 – $5 and $15 – $25 per week, depending on size. Storage is available for a maximum of 2 weeks. Location: Security Office, Centre Tunnel, Room B085 Hours: 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging – A reader (January 2019) tells us there are charging ports at the gates under the seats.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside, on the main level (ticketing area, domestic arrivals, food court and retail area) • Departures level (departures level entrance, near Beaches Cafe and Bar and across from Starbucks) • Landside, on the lower level of the parkade, near the car rental counters. A USD-currency ATM is located in the US Preclearance Departures area.
- Currency Exchange – International Currency Exchange offers currency exchange, lottery tickets, travel insurance and more. Location: Main Level, landside Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Chapel – There is a non-denominatonal worship centre. Location: Landside, 2nd level, Mezzanine. Hours: open 24 hours
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – There are two duty free shops at the airport. One is located on the Departures Level, across from Gate 24, and closes 45 min prior to departure of non-US international flights. The other duty free shop, located in the US Pre-Clearance facility, stays open for all US-bound international flights and closes at last call. All other retail shops in the airport close around 9:00PM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Massages – Get those kinks worked out with a massage at Classic Backrub. Location: Airside, Gate 20.
- Showers – Not available.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour. Tours can be customized to suit your group. Areas that can be visited include the ticket counters, concessions, pre-board screening, airport security, RCMP, International customs and you can also get a chance to meet the drug sniffing dog. Days: Wednesdays from mid-September to mid-June. Tour Duration: 1 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Art in the Airport – Art and scheduled live music exhibitions are available throughout the airport.
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: Take the glass elevators in the main lobby to the third level. There is also an aircraft viewing window on the main level.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of May 2019, Halifax airport is served by the following airlines: Air Canada • Air Saint-Pierre • Jazz • Porter • Air Transat • Condor • Icelandair • Delta • Sunwing • Swoop • PAL Airlines • United Airlines • WestJet.
MetroX bus route 320 links the airport to downtown Halifax, with departures as frequent as every 30 minutes during peak times. Bus fare is $3.50 one-way. Contact Metro Transit for details.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite on the lower level of the airport parkade: Alamo/National, Avis, Budget, Dollar/Thrifty, Enterprise and Hertz.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Hilton Garden Inn Halifax Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Halifax Airport • Quality Inn Halifax Airport.
Metered taxis and shared-ride shuttles are available in the ground transportation area of the airport. Maritime Bus offers service between the airport and several location in the Maritimes. Airport Express offers seasonal service to downtown Halifax for $22 one-way, or $40 roundtrip. Several other companies offer shuttle service (some are seasonal) to Sydney, Annapolis Valley, Yarmouth, Truro and Prince Edward Island. Contact your service provider for details.
Last updated: 2019-05-24
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.