Ottawa Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Ottawa Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Found these fantastic level, flat leather benches that -- believe it or not -- looked more like mattresses than seating. The best bedding I've ever had in an airport. - Ray
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Ottawa Macdonald–Cartier International Airport.
What to Expect
- The Ottawa airport has a single terminal with three levels.
- The airport is open 24 hours. However, security check points close after the last flight until early morning (see more below under Airport Hours).
- There is a 24 hour Tim Hortons in the food court on level 1, landside.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Reviewers recommended the couches by the windows, landside, which are reportedly quite comfy.
- This airport can be noisy, so consider bringing earplugs.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Ottawa Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge - Location: Domestic & International Terminal. Lounge Access: Maple Leaf Club Membership • Air Canada ticket holders can purchase a pass at the time of booking or online check-in.
- Porter Lounge - Location: Level 2, Domestic & International Terminal. Lounge Access: open to all passengers flying on Porter Airlines, as well as select Air Canada customers and Star Alliance Gold cardholders. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM.
Free WiFi is available at Ottawa Airport.
If sleeping in Ottawa Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available from 4:00AM to 12:30AM.
- Days Inn Ottawa Airport - (4 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and Ernst & Young Centre available daily from 4:00AM to Midnight.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa Airport - (4 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle available daily from 5:00AM to 11:00PM (weekdays) and 6:00AM to 11:00PM (weekends).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Ottawa Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - 24-hour ATMs are located at Level 1 (landside), Level 1 Arrivals Hall (landside), Level 2 Can/Intl Flights (airside) and Level 3 (landside).
- Baggage Carts - Available free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Location: Arrivals, Level 1, landside. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Child Care Rooms - Most restrooms in the terminal have adjacent nursing rooms.
- Children's Play Areas - Location: Near gate 19, domestic/international holdroom.
- Currency Exchange - International Currency Exchange (ICE) is open daily from 9:00AM - 12:00AM in Level 1 Arrivals Hall (landside). ICE is also located airside on Level 2 US Flights and Level 2 Can/Intl Flights (across from Gate 15) from 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon-Fri) and 9:00AM - 7:00PM (Sat-Sun).
- Duty Free & Shopping - The Loop duty-free shop is open 1 hour prior to US flight departures (airside, Level 3, US Flights) and 3 hours prior to all other direct international flight departures (airside, Level 2, Can/Intl Flights).
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Tim Horton’s (landside, Level 1, Arrivals).
- Luggage Storage & Coat Check - Location: PARS 2000 (landside, Level 1, Arrivals Hall). Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Observation Deck - Location: Level 3 (landside)
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours. However, the security screening checkpoint hours are 4:00AM - last flight for Domestic & International departures (May - November) and 3:00AM - last flight (November - April). For transborder departures, the security checkpoint opens at 4:30AM year round.
Ottawa Airport is served by OC Transpo public bus Route 97, which travels between the airport and Bells Corner/Bayshore, with stops along the way in downtown Centre-Ville and South Keys. Buses depart daily, as frequently as every 10 minutes and stop on Level 1 (Arrivals) Pillar 14 at the airport. At the time of this update, a single-ride bus ticket costs CA$3.55. For timetables, fares and route map, visit the OC Transpo website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle: Days Inn Ottawa Airport • Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ottawa Airport • Ramada Ottawa On The Rideau • Southway Hotel.
All licensed taxis, limousines and shuttles operate from Level 1 (Arrivals).
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.