Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Ottawa Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Found these fantastic level, flat leather benches that — believe it or not — looked more like mattresses than seating. The best bedding I’ve ever had in an airport. – Ray
YOW Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Ottawa Airport.
What to Expect
Ottawa Airport (code: YOW) consists of a single terminal, spread over three levels. Travellers here appreciate the efficient security lines and free WiFi. A few restaurants and shops will help you pass the time, and one eatery stays open 24 hours in the pre-Secure area. A couple airport lounges serve up additional creature comforts for travellers willing to pay the entry fee. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Ottawa Airport
Because security checkpoints close nightly, all overnight campers are restricted to staying in the pre-Secure landside areas until the early morning. Travellers recommend grabbing a couch by the windows, as long as you’re there early enough. Do bring along earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, as airport noise is common. Explore our guide to sleeping in Ottawa Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. Prefer an uninterrupted night of sleep? Several hotels near the airport offer free shuttle service. See Airport Hotels in the guide below.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Ottawa Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge – Location: Domestic & International Terminal. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Ottawa Airport Lounges
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Ottawa Airport:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Ottawa Airport – No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport – Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Days Inn Ottawa Airport – Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ottawa Airport – Free airport shuttle is available from 5:00AM to 11:00PM (weekdays) and 6:00AM to 11:00PM (weekends). » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels in Ottawa, search deals and read traveller reviews.
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Ottawa Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Feed and change your baby in comfort and privacy in one of the airport’s Breastfeeding Rooms. Changing table and rocking chair are available. Locations: US Flights, airside, Level 2 • Can/Intl Flights, airside, Level 2, domestic/intl holdroom near Gates 14 and 18 • Arrivals Hall, landside, Level 1, opposite the chapel. Hours: All Breastfeeding Rooms are accessible 24 hours a day.
- Child Care Rooms – Most restrooms in the terminal have adjacent nursing rooms.
- Children’s Play Areas – Location: Near gate 19, domestic/international holdroom.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Water fountains and water bottle filling stations can be found both Landside and Airside.
- Food & Drinks – Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Tim Horton’s (Arrivals, landside, Level 1).
- Information Desk – An Information Booth can be found Landside in the Arrivals Area. Hours: unknown.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available free of charge.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Both luggage storage and coat check service are available in the Baggage Storage room. Luggage Storage Rates: $5.00/day • $8.00/overnight • $30.00/week • $60.00/month. Winter coat/boot storage is also available and storage spaces are big enough to store belongings of 2-4 passengers. Coat/boot Check Rates: $30.00/week or $60.00/month. Location: Arrivals Hall, landside, Level 1. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Safe Bag offers a luggage wrapping service for a small fee. Location: Level 3, landside. Hours: 12:P0AM – 8:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – A reader tells us there are charging ports at most of the boarding gates by the seating area. (crafted axe / January 2020)
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside on Levels 1 and 3 • Airside on Level 2 (Can/Intl).
- Currency Exchange – ICE (International Currency Exchange) has kiosks in these locations: US Flights, Airside, Level 2. Hours: 5:00AM – 7:00PM (Mon-Fri) 5:00AM – 5:00PM (Sat & Sun) • Arrivals Hall, Landside, Level 1. Hours: 9:00AM – 12:00AM • Can/Intl Flights, Airside, Level 2 (opposite Gate 15). Hours: 5:00AM – 9:00PM (Mon-Fri) 5:00AM – 7:00PM (Sat & Sun).
- Chapel – An interfaith chapel is available landside on Level 1. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are a small number of rocking chairs available near the gates.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is offered airside in Can/Int’l Departures (near Gate 15 – open 3 hours before flight departure) and US Departures (near Gate 12 – open 1 hour before flight departure).
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
Things to do & see
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: Landside, Level 3.
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Shoe Shine – Location: Can/Intl Flights, airside, by Gate 15. Hours: 7:00AM – 5:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours. However, the security screening checkpoint hours are 4:00AM – last flight for Domestic & International departures (May – November) and 3:00AM – last flight (November – April). For transborder departures, the security checkpoint opens at 4:30AM year round.
Ottawa airport is served by the following airlines: Air Canada • Air North • Air Transat • American Airlines • Canadian North • Delta Air Lines • First Air • Porter Airlines • Sunwing Airlines • United Airlines • WestJet.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Ottawa Airport is served by OC Transpo public bus Route 97, which travels between the airport and Bells Corner/Bayshore, with stops along the way in downtown Centre-Ville and South Keys. Buses depart daily, as frequently as every 10 minutes and stop on Level 1 (Arrivals) Pillar 14 at the airport. At the time of this update, a single-ride bus ticket costs CA$3.55. For timetables, fares and route map, visit the OC Transpo website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo • Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Hertz • National.
Several area hotels provide airport shuttle service: Days Inn Ottawa Airport • Hampton Inn by Hilton Ottawa Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Ottawa Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ottawa Airport • Ramada Ottawa On The Rideau.
See also Airport Hotels above.
All licensed taxis, limousines and shuttles operate from Level 1 (Arrivals).
Last updated: 2022-10-31
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.