In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Vancouver Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of the airport hotel in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I would like to thank the staff of Vancouver Airport for the most beautiful, clean and comfortable airport I have ever been stuck at. - Bob and Paul
Just wanted to confirm the area by the USA gates is still a great place to sleep. You can get some privacy, just look around. I slept by the escalator to the hotel. I was around the corner and the lights were pretty dim. It was quite private unlike many of the other benches. The benches in this airport don't have arms (I'm 6'2' and was comfortable) and they're movable keep that in mind. I definitely recommend checking near the escalator to the hotel to see if there is a spot for you there. The showers at the hotel don't open to the public until 8am.
Have you been to Vancouver Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Vancouver airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Domestic - Location: Domestic Departures, Airside, Level 3, near Gate A2. Hours: 6am - 9pm (Sun – Fri) • 6am - 8pm (Sat). Showers are available.
- Plaza Premium Lounge - International - Location: International Departures, Airside, Level 3. Hours: 430am - 1am. Showers and nap rooms are available.
- Plaza Premium Lounge - USA Departures - Location: USA Departures, Airside, Level 3. Hours: 5am - 630 (Sun – Fri) • 5am - 6pm (Sat)
Air Canada Maple Leaf Club - Lounge Access: Book Online ($25/50) • Maple Leaf Club Membership.
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge - Domestic - Location: Domestic Departures, Airside. Hours: 445am - 1130pm.
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge - Transborder - Location: USA Departures, Airside. Hours: 530am - 1030pm.
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge - International - Location: International Departures, Airside. Hours: 9am- 2am.
Free WiFi is available at Vancouver Airport.
If sleeping in Vancouver Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel inside the airport:
- Fairmont Vancouver Airport - Located inside the US Terminal. They offer drop-in access to the showers. Day room packages start at $99 for a 4 hours between the hours of 8am-8pm. Ear plugs and eyemasks are provided if required.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near the Vancouver Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Airport Ambassadors - Steve tells us "Volunteers in green vest/jacket are located throughout the terminal and information counters airside. Staff in blue vest/jacket can be found at information counters landside and at customs hall."
- Aquarium - The airport has a large, 114,000-litre aquarium showcasing 850 indigenous sea animals. Location: International Terminal, Departures Level.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: International Arrivals (next to ICE currency exchange) • International Departure (next to ICE currency exchange) • Domestic Arrivals (next to Tim Hortons) • Domestic Level 1 (at 7-11, Scotiabank - the only one at the airport) and others scattered throughout the terminals. Update by Steve.
- Car Rentals - Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Hertz • National • Thrifty. Location: Ground floor of the parkade.
- Chapel - Location: International Arrivals, Arrivals Level 2, landside. Hours: unknown
- Children's Play Area - Location: Domestic Terminal Food Court (landside) • Domestic Terminal Gates 3 and 43 (airside) • International Terminal - Gate 54 (airside)
- Currency Exchange - There are many ICE Currency Service locations landside and airside. There is a 24 hour location in the International Terminal, on level 3 (landside).
- Dental and Medical Clinics
This is probably here more for the airport employees, but if you have to require dental work in between flights stop by here. Location: Domestic Terminal - landside, level 1
- Food & Drinks -
There are many food options, but only a few food concessions that are open 24-hours:
»Landside: Tim Hortons
»Airside: A&W • Subway
- Information Desks - SleepingInAirports reader Steve sent us some information regarding the information desks:
» US Departures: Departure Level 3 (Landside, next to CBSA NEXUS office) • Departure Level 3 (Landside, before Gate E security screening) • Departure Level 3 (Airside, after US CBP).
» International: Departure Level 3 (Landside, above arrivals) • Departure Level 3 (Airside, after security screening) • Departure Level 3 (Airside, after duty free) • Arrivals (Airside, inside Customs Hall) • Arrivals (Landside, greeters hall)
» Domestic: Arrivals Level 2 (Landside, outside of carousel 4) • Departure Level 3 (Landside, next to the food court) • Departure Level 3 - LINK (Landside, next to Air Canada check-in counters) • Departure Level 3 (Airside, after Gate C security) • Departure Level 3 (Airside, after security Gate A to the right) • Departure Level 3 (Airside, before Monk's Grill).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - CDS Baggage Services has two locations. International Terminal, Landside, Level 2 and Domestic Terminal, Landside, Level 2. Rates range from $5.00-8.00 per item based on a 24-hour period. Short and long term storage is available. Hours: 5am - 11pm.
- Observation Area - Meet your friends or watch the activity on the tarmac at the airport's observation area. There are telescopes, interactive kiosks and an interactive model of Sea Island. Location: Domestic Terminal, Level 4 (Landside). Rate: Free
- Self-Guided Tour - The airport has a self-guide walking tour of the terminal. Take some time to enjoy Cedar Connection • Public Observation Area • Supernatural World • The Jade Canoe • The Great Wave Wall • Clayoquot Welcome Figures • Ksan Totem Poles • Green Wall. [ brochure ]
- Showers - Airside - Plaza Premium Lounges (International and Domestic Terminals)
open 24 hours
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
- The Canada Line - connects the airport with downtown Vancouver and Richmond
Boarding Location: located between the International and Domestic Terminals.
Duration: 26 minutes to Vancouver and 18 minutes to Richmond
Frequency: 4 - 7 minutes
Hours: 4:40am - 1:05am
Fare: a $5 CanadaLine YVR AddFare Tax in addition to the regular fare.
- Taxis, shuttle buses and the usual means of transportation are also available.
Airport Sleeper Policy
As of January 2012, there have been reports that security is now checking airport sleepers throughout the night. Please have your ID, e-ticket and a good reason as to why you are not in a hotel!
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Vancouver Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 18 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.