Auckland Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Auckland Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Instead of taking that rip-off bus to town, I decided to crash at the airport for 52 hours!
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Auckland Airport.
What to Expect
- Auckland airport has two terminals, one for international flights and the other for domestic flights. A free, inter-terminal bus connects the two.
- There is also a walkway between the terminals if you prefer to skip the bus—the walk takes about 10 minutes.
- There are 24 hour concessions both landside and airside.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- The International terminal is split into 3 levels. Several reviewers report that the 2nd level has the best sleeping spots, particularly near the escalators or at the observation deck/viewing area. As of August 2016, this area is closed due to "exciting expansions" currently underway. A good alternative is the area on the 2nd floor, in front of the Air China office. There you will find a warmer, quieter area with an armrest-free three seater bench.
- Benches without armrests are available, but may fill up quickly.
- Current reviews do not mention sleeping options landside.
- Reviewers mention lots of noise, so earplugs or noise cancelling headphones are recommended.
- Many reviewers also warn of cold temperatures, so consider bringing a sweater or blanket.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel adjacent to the International terminal and a many other nearby hotels that are within walking distance or accessible by free airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Free showers are available! See Shower information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Auckland Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Air New Zealand Koru Club - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
- Emperor Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Level 1. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM (Mon, Wed, Sat, Sun) • 6:00AM - 12:00AM (Tues, Thurs - Fri).
- Air New Zealand Koru Club - Location: International Terminal, Airside. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
- Qantas Club - Location: International Terminal, Airside, Level 2. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Auckland Airport for 45 minutes. Connect to the “Auckland Airport” network. After your 45 minutes is up, you can pay for additional access at the following rates: 45 min./unlimited data for NZ$9.95 • 90 min./unlimited data for NZ$14.95 • up to 4 hr./unlimited data for NZ$19.95. If you travel frequently through Auckland Airport, consider joining the Strada Club to get free Wifi, earn points, and other perks.
If sleeping in Auckland Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels at the airport and near the airport with a free airport shuttle:
- Novotel Auckland Airport - Located adjacent to the International Terminal. No airport shuttle, but the hotel is within easy walking distance of the terminal. Day use rooms are available from 6:00AM to 6:00PM.
- Ibis Budget Auckland Airport - (5 min walk from the International Terminal) Airport shuttle available ($).
- Sudima Hotel Auckland Airport - (3 min from the airport) 24-hr airport shuttle service provided via Yellow Bus, a bus services that operates in the airport area. Tickets must be purchased from the ticket machine prior to boarding. $6 per person, each way (children under 12 yr old are free). Shuttle runs from Sudima to the airport every :05 and :35 past the hour from 4:00AM to 1:35AM. Shuttle picks up from the Domestic Terminal (Door 3) every :15 and :45 past the hour from 4:15AM to 1:45AM and from the International Terminal (bus stop across from Door 6) every :20 and :50 past the hour from 4:20AM to 1:50AM. No shuttle service from 2:00AM to 4:00AM (contact hotel directly for pick up).
- Heartland Hotel Auckland Airport- (3 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes to the Domestic Terminal (Door 2 by pedestrian crossing) and International Terminal (Door 11 by the McDonald’s in Arrivals Hall). For airport pick-up, call 0800-404-204 after collecting your luggage.
- Jet Park Airport Hotel - (6 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes to the Domestic Terminal (Door 2 by pedestrian crossing) and International Terminal (Door 11 by the McDonald’s in Arrivals Hall). For airport pick-up, call 0800-538-466 after collecting your luggage.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Auckland Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
photo provided by Auckland Airport
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available throughout the airport.
- Baby Care - Feed and care for your baby in the privacy and comfort of the Parent’s Room. Each Parent's Room has changing tables, seating, power outlets, and more. Three locations: Ground Floor, landside, Door 3 • 1st Floor, landside, Food Court (opposite Subway) • 1st Floor, airside, next to the Around NZ shop. Changing tables are also available in all women’s restrooms. Baby essentials are available for purchase from Travelpharm or Kiwi Discovery.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - A non-denominational chapel is located in the International Terminal, Airside, near Artport. A muslim prayer mat is located in the west pedestrian bridge.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex offers currency exchange at these five locations: International Terminal, landside, Ground Floor • International Terminal, airside, Ground Floor • International Terminal, landside, 1st Floor • International Terminal, airside, 1st Floor • Domestic Terminal, landside. Hours: 4:00AM - 12:30AM. Travel Money NZ also offers currency exchange in the airport. Location: International Terminal, landside, Ground Floor. Hours: 4:30AM - 12:30AM.
- Duty-Free & Shopping - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- International Terminal, landside, Ground Floor - Long White Cafe • 24/7 Convenience
- International Terminal, landside, 1st Floor - Espresso Bar
- International Terminal, airside, Ground Floor - Take Home convenience market
- Food & Drinks - There are many food and beverage outlets, here are the 24-hour food options.
» International Terminal - Espresso Bar by Atomic (first floor, landside) • Long White Cafe (ground floor, landside) • Convenience Store (ground floor, landside) • Take Home (Airside, Ground Floor).
- Games Arcade & Rides - Location: International terminal, airside - level 2, airside - level 1 and landside - arrivals area.
- Information Desk - Airport Information Helpdesks are available at these locations:
- International Terminal - Check-In, landside, Ground Floor, by Door 4 • Arrivals Hall, landside, Ground Floor, Level 1 Departures • Airside Level 1, just after Customs and Security • Airside Level 2.
- Domestic Terminal - Air New Zealand regional end of terminal and Central Desk by Door 4 • Air New Zealand Baggage Claim. You can also seek the assistance of one of the Airport Hospitality Ambassadors who roam the terminal. Also known as “bluecoats”, they are easily spotted by their blue-colored jackets.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Available in the International Terminal. Lockers: Rates range from $10.00 (small) to $14.00 (large) per locker per 24 hours. Storage: Rates range from $9.00 - $13.00 (small) per 4 - 24 hours per item and from $11.00 - $16.00 (large) per 4 - 24 hours per item.
- SmarteCarte - International Terminal, Landside, Departures, Ground Floor, Opposite Check-In Counter 67 (Opposite Qantas Business check in). Hours: 3:45AM - 11:15PM.
- SmarteCarte - International Terminal, Landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor, just past the Air New Zealand Premium check-in. Hours: 3:45AM - 11:15PM.
- Luggage Trolleys - Available free of charge.
- Luggage Wrapping - Protect your valuable luggage and its contents with a protective film wrapping for a fee of $11 per bag. Service offered by SmarteCarte. Locations: International Terminal, landside, Ground Floor, opposite Qantas Business Check-In / Check-in Counter 67 • International Terminal, landside, Ground Floor, Arrivals, just past Air New Zealand Premium Check-In. Hours for both locations: 3:45AM - 11:15PM.
- Massage Chairs - International Terminal, next to Gate 2 and 4. Rates: unknown.
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the First Aid Room. For access, dial 98777 on any airport phone, or seek the assistance of an airport staff member. Full-service medical care is available nearby at The Airport Doctors, located off-terminal at the Airport Shopping Centre on John Goulter Drive. Hours: 8:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM - 1:00PM (Sat). Closed Sundays and public holidays.
- Observation Deck - Location: International Terminal, level 2.
- Prayer Area - A non-denominational chapel is available in the International Terminal, airside, 1st floor next to Artport. Muslim prayer areas are available on the 1st floor of the Domestic Terminal, and on the 1st floor western pedestrian bridge of the International Terminal.
- Showers - Freshen up after a long flight at the free showers, located just outside the International Arrivals gate. Towels and toiletries are available for purchase from Relay or iSite Tourism Information Centre, on the ground floor in Arrivals. Showers are also available on the 1st floor of the Domestic Terminal, opposite Air New Zealand Premium Check-In. Toiletries can be purchase from Travelpharm, landside near The Bach Alehouse & Cafe in the Domestic Terminal. And finally, the lounges also have showers available [ see Airport Lounges above ].
- Smoking - Smoking is only allowed landside in designated areas of the International and Domestic Terminal forecourts, and airside in the Smoking Lounge on the 2nd floor of the International Terminal.
The airport is open 24 hours (International terminal) / 4:30AM - approx. 12:00AM or last flight (domestic terminal)
Regular bus service connects the airport to the central city and several other local centres. For schedules and additional information, visit the Auckland Transport web site.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel • Auckland Airport Lodge • Airport Manor Inn • Best Western BK's Pioneer Motor Lodge • Heartland Hotel Auckland Airport • Holiday Inn Auckland Airport • Hotel Grande Auckland Airport • Jet Park Hotel & Conference Centre • Oakwood Manor Auckland Airport Motor Lodge • Sudima Auckland Airport Hotel • 540 on Great South Motel.
The Airbus Express is a shuttle bus services that provides regular transportation from Auckland city center to the airport 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Total travel time between the city and the airport takes about 45 minutes. Tickets can be purchased from Airbus Tickets Kiosks, direct from the driver or pre-booked online on the Airbus web site. For more information on stops, routes, rates and more, visit the Auckland Airport web site.
A free inter-terminal bus service operates every 15 minutes between the international and domestic terminals. The bus operates from 5am-10.30pm daily.
Taxis and Shuttles
You can pick up a taxi or shuttle from the ranks located outside the arrivals area at the International Terminal. Or outside the Jetstar forecourt at the domestic terminal. It is important to note that while all companies are able to drop you off at the airport, not all are licensed to be able to pick you up. For specific provider and pricing information, visit the Auckland Airport web site. .
An extensive choice of rental car options is available for both international and domestic travellers. Licensed companies are located at the terminal buildings. International travelers can locate rental car companies at the International terminal arrivals area on the ground floor. Domestic travelers can find operators at the ground floor of the multi-level parking garage.
Last Updated: 15 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.