Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Auckland Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
They’re renovating the airport so it was kinda noisy at the times, but biggest minus is definitely limited WiFi. Also kinda chilly so sleeping bag was definitely a must. – Santtu
AKL Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Auckland Airport.
What to Expect
Auckland Airport (code: AKL) consists of two terminals: international and domestic. The terminals are connected by a free inter-terminal bus and a 500m open air walkway. The airport itself has a good range of shops and restaurants, with 24-hour options located both airside and landside. There are also free showers in both the international and domestic terminals. Free WiFi is available to help pass the time. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges – some of which also have showers – that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Auckland Airport
Reviewers suggest that the best places to sleep at Auckland Airport are located airside. Specifically, on the second floor of the international terminal there are a few armrest free benches in warmer and quieter areas. Be warned that the armrest-free benches located throughout the airport more broadly tend to fill up quickly, so it’s best to snag one when you see it. Come prepared with a sleep mask, noise cancelling headphone or ear plugs, and some warm layers to combat the noise and cold overnight temperatures. Explore our guide to sleeping in Auckland Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. And if none of this sounds like an experience you would like to have (and you don’t mind paying for comfort and privacy), there is a hotel adjacent to the international terminal, and others nearby connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the guide below.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. If you have some time to spare please write a review, send a tip or share photos to help future travellers.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Auckland Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Auckland Airport Hotels
- Nearest Hotel: At the airport
- Sleep Cabins & Pods: No
- Day Rooms: Yes
- Nearby Hotels with Free Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair isn’t really doing it for you, there is good news for those of you who are looking to sleep at Auckland Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover, you will have to pass through immigration/security, as there is no transit hotel. A hotel is located within walking distance from the international terminal and several nearby hotels offer free airport shuttles.
At Airport Novotel Auckland Airport – Located adjacent to the International Terminal. No airport shuttle, but the hotel is within easy walking distance of the terminal. Day use rooms are available from 6:00AM to 3:00PM. » Check Rates
Near Airport Ibis Budget Auckland Airport – (5 minute walk from the International Terminal) Airport shuttle available ($). » Check Rates
Near Airport Sudima Hotel Auckland Airport – 24-hour airport shuttle service provided via Yellow Bus, a bus services that operates in the airport area. Tickets must be purchased from the ticket machine prior to boarding. $6 per person, each way (children under 12 yr old are free). » Check Rates
Near Airport Heartland Hotel Auckland Airport – Free 24-hour airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes to the Domestic Terminal (Door 2 by pedestrian crossing) and International Terminal (Door 11 by the McDonald’s in Arrivals Hall). » Check Rates
Near Airport Jet Park Airport Hotel – Free 24-hour airport shuttle runs every 30 minutes to the Domestic Terminal (Door 2 by pedestrian crossing) and International Terminal (Door 11 by the McDonald’s in Arrivals Hall). » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Auckland Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Air New Zealand Lounges – Multiple Locations – (1) Regional Terminal, (1) Domestic Terminal and (1) International Terminal.
Qantas Club – Location: International Terminal, Airside, Level 2. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
Passes Strata Lounge – Location: International Terminal, Airside. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Auckland Airport Lounges
Airport WiFi / Internet & Mobile Charging
Free WiFi is available at Auckland Airport for 2 hours. Connect to the “Auckland Airport” network. After your time is up, you can pay for additional access at the following rates: 2 hours/unlimited data for NZ$9.95 • 6 hours/unlimited data for NZ$14.95.
If you travel frequently through Auckland Airport, consider joining the Strata Club to get extended free WiFi (1 additional hour), earn points, and other perks.
A reader (July 2019) tells us that there are charging stations in the International Terminal, 1st Floor beside McDonald’s. There are about 15 charging stations with two plugs and two USB outlets each.
Airport Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover
Duty-Free & Shopping – Duty Free shopping is available at Aelia Duty Free and The Loop Duty Free, both located in the International Terminal, airside, on the 1st floor. Hours: 24 hours. In addition, the airport also offers a good variety of shops to pass the time.
- Baby Care Facilities – Feed and care for your baby in the privacy and comfort of the Parent’s Room. Each Parent’s Room has changing tables, seating, power outlets, and more. Three locations: Ground Floor, landside, Door 3 • 1st Floor, landside, Food Court (opposite Subway) • 1st Floor, airside, next to the Around NZ shop. Changing tables are also available in all women’s restrooms. Baby essentials are available for purchase from Travelpharm or Kiwi Discovery.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: International Terminal, Airside, 1st Floor, near McDonalds • International Terminal, Airside, near Glamping Grounds.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking stations and water bottle refill stations are available landside and airside in both terminals.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. The only 24 hour options available are Long White Cafe and Take Home 24/7 Convenience, which are located Landside in the International Terminals on the Ground Floor. Airside, there are no 24 hour dining concessions, however Urban Food Market is open as early as 4:30AM until the last flight departure.
Information Desk – Airport Information Desks are available at these locations:
- International Terminal – Check-In, landside, Ground Floor, by Door 4 • Arrivals Hall, landside, Ground Floor, Level 1 Departures • Airside Level 1, just after Customs and Security • Airside Level 2.
- Domestic Terminal – Air New Zealand regional end of terminal and Central Desk by Door 4 • Air New Zealand Baggage Claim.
You can also seek the assistance of one of the Airport Hospitality Ambassadors who roam the terminal. Also known as “bluecoats”, they are easily spotted by their blue-colored jackets.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Lockers are available in the International Terminal.
- SmarteCarte (Departures) – International Terminal, Landside, Departures, Ground Floor, Opposite Check-In Counter 424 (Opposite Qantas Business check in). Hours: 3:45AM – 11:15PM.
- SmarteCarte (Arrivals) – International Terminal, Landside, Arrivals, Ground Floor, just past the Air New Zealand Premium check-in. Hours: 3:45AM – 11:15PM.
- Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your bags? Luggage carts are available free of charge throughout the airport.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your valuable luggage and its contents with a protective film wrapping for a fee of $11 per bag. Service offered by SmarteCarte. Locations: International Terminal, landside, Ground Floor, opposite Qantas Business Check-In / Check-in Counter 67 • International Terminal, landside, Ground Floor, Arrivals, just past Air New Zealand Premium Check-In. Hours for both locations: 3:45AM – 11:15PM.
Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the First Aid Room. For access, dial 98777 on any airport phone, or seek the assistance of an airport staff member. Full-service medical care is available nearby at The Airport Doctors, located off-terminal at the Airport Shopping Centre on John Goulter Drive. Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Mon-Fri) • 9:00AM – 1:00PM (Sat). Closed Sundays and public holidays.
Mobile Charging – see “Airport WiFi / Internet and Mobile Charging” above.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: throughout both terminals.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex offers currency exchange at ten locations in the International Terminal and Domestic Terminal. Hours: open for all arriving and departing flights.
Prayer – A non-denominational chapel is available in the Domestic Terminal, landside, Ground Floor • International Terminal, airside, 1st floor next to Artport. Muslim prayer areas are available on the 1st floor of the Domestic Terminal • 1st floor western pedestrian bridge of the International Terminal.
Post Office – Stamps are available for purchase at the Relay Store (Ground Floor, 1st Floor and beyond immigration). Post boxes are located throughout the airport.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – International Terminal, next to Gate 2 and 4. Rates: unknown.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
Showers – Freshen up after a long flight at the free showers, located just outside the International Arrivals gate. Towels and toiletries are available for purchase from Relay or iSite Tourism Information Centre, on the ground floor in Arrivals. Showers are also available on the 1st floor of the Domestic Terminal, opposite Air New Zealand Premium Check-In. Toiletries can be purchase from Travelpharm, landside near The Bach Alehouse & Cafe in the Domestic Terminal. And finally, the lounges also have showers available [ see Airport Lounges above ].
Smoking – Smoking is only allowed landside in designated areas of the International and Domestic Terminal forecourts, and airside in the Smoking Lounge on the 2nd floor of the International Terminal.
Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Auckland and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, the Flight Centre Travel Agency at the airport can probably of assistance.
WiFi – see “Airport WiFi / Internet and Mobile Charging” above.
The International Terminal of the airport is open 24 hours, however certain areas airside close for a few hours each night in accordance with the flight schedule. The Domestic Terminal is open 4:30AM – 11:00PM.
Auckland airport is served by the following airlines: Air Astana • Air Botswana • Air Canada • Air Chathams • Air China • Air India • Air Madagascar • Air Malta • Air Mauritius • Air Namibia • Air New Zealand • Air Niugini • Air Serbia • Air Tahiti Nui • Air Vanuatu • Aircalin • Alitalia • All Nippon Airways • American Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Avianca • Bangkok Airways • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Cathay Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern • Copa Airlines • Croatia Airlines • Delta Air Lines • Dragonair • EL AL Air Israel • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • EVA Air • Fiji Airways • Garuda Indonesia • Hawaiian Airlines • Hong Kong Airlines • Inflite • Japan Airlines • Jetstar • Korean Air • LATAM • Lufthansa • Malaysia Airlines • Mongolian Airlines • Philippine Airlines • Qantas • Qatar Airways • Royal Brunei Airlines • Royal Jordanian • Sichuan Airlines • SilkAir • Singapore Airlines • Solomon Airlines • South African Airways • Swiss • TAP Portugal • Thai Airways International • United Airlines • Virgin Atlantic Airways • Virgin Australia.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Regular bus service connects AKL Airport to the central city and several other local stops. Bus routes 31 and the Airporter 380 Route operate every 15 – 30 minutes during the day. These routes also provide travellers a connection to the Papatoetoe Train Station where you can connect to trains along the Southern, Eastern and Onehunga train lines. For schedules and additional information, visit the Auckland Transport website.
An extensive choice of rental car options is available for both international and domestic travellers. The following car rental companies have offices onsite: Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Thrifty.
Several hotels near Auckland Airport provide airport shuttle service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Auckland Airport Kiwi Hotel • Auckland Airport Lodge • Airport Manor Inn • Best Western BK’s Pioneer Motor Lodge • Heartland Hotel Auckland Airport • Holiday Inn Auckland Airport • Jet Park Hotel Auckland Airport • Oakwood Manor • Sudima Auckland Airport Hotel • 540 on Great South Motel.
See also Airport Hotels above.
The SkyBus Express is a shuttle bus service that provides regular transportation from Auckland city center to the airport 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Total travel time between the city and the airport takes about 45 minutes. At the time of this update, a one-way ticket costs $17.00 (return is $34.00). For more information on stops, routes, rates and more, visit the SkyBus New Zealand website.
A free inter-terminal bus service operates every 15 minutes between the international and domestic terminals. The bus operates from 5:00AM – 10:30PM daily.
Taxis and Shuttles
You can pick up a taxi or shuttle from the ranks located outside the arrivals area at the International Terminal. Or outside the Jetstar forecourt at the domestic terminal. It is important to note that while all companies are able to drop you off at the airport, not all are licensed to be able to pick you up.
Last updated: 2020-10-20
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.