In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Cairns Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of nearby airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Plenty of big comfy sofas! If you put 3 of them in a row you end up having a bed. - Enrico
We stayed here a couple of weeks ago and it was great. There are 4 showers in the international terminal which is open all night as well as flat seats you can kip on. The taxi drivers are wind up merchants at the domestic terminal and will probably try and discourage you from trekking over to the international one but ignore them. There's not much at the domestic terminal apart from a lot of incredibly uncomfortable seats and the baggage reclaim....make your way over to the international for more luxury (obviously I'm using this term loosely!). Have fun, hope this helps!
Have you been to Cairns Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Reef Lounge - Location: Airside, near Gate 2. Showers are available. Hours: varies.
WiFi is available at Cairns Airport for a fee. Rates: $ 3 per hour • $ 6 per 24 hours • 30 per week. Additionally there are Internet Kiosks located airside.
If sleeping in the Cairns Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Airport Tours - available on request. Reservations must be made in advance.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available in the International Terminal (arrivals area) and Domestic Terminal (departure lounge).
- Car Rentals - Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Redspot • Thrifty. Location: Domestic Terminal, arrivals, north end • International Terminal, arrivals.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has offices in the International Terminal (airside) and Domestic Terminal. Travelex ATMs dispense AUD, NZD, PGK, JPY (Terminal 1) and AUD, USD, PGK (Terminal 2)
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food or beverage concessions at the airport.
- Information Desk - information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Luggage storage is available at Wilson Car Park. Rates: from $7.00 (small - 0-3 hours) to $ 15 (large: over 3 hours).
- Luggage Trolleys - Free
- Showers - Showers are available in the Domestic and International Terminals (landside and airside).
The doors to the International and Domestic terminals are closed at night. An employee told us on our Facebook page: "Every night I see people resorting to sleeping on the hard metal benches outside the terminals getting eaten my mosquitos. On Thursday and Sunday nights you can get to stay inside the International until 2am but once the Guam flight departs it's all shut down. The only exception is Intl to Intl transit pax who stay airside inside the departures lounge."
Terminal 1 Hours: 3am - last flight
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Cairns Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2014 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2014.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Cairns Travel Resources
- Cairns Hotels - search for deals, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 13 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.