Wellington Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Wellington Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was ready to sleep on the floor when a staff guy came to tell me that there was a better area to sleep... so nice! - Chacha
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Wellington Airport.
What to Expect
- Wellington airport has a single terminal with three piers: South, South-West and North-West.
- This airport is closed from 1:30 AM to 3:30 AM. Airport sleepers are asked to leave the terminal between 2:00AM - 4:00AM unless they have “airline problems” like major flight disruptions.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Since the airport is closed late at night, spending the night here is not possible.
- If you are looking for a good place to nap, reviewers recommend the comfy couches near the Cook Strait Bar, or under the statue of Gollum.
- Be sure to bring earplugs if you do want to sleep—the airport is reportedly very noisy.
- A sleep mask might also come in handy: multiple reviewers report bright, fluorescent lights.
- There are nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with an airline membership. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- Free showers are available landside.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Wellington Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Wellington airport with a membership. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Air New Zealand Koru Lounge - Location: airside, Domestic Departures. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
- Air New Zealand Koru Lounge - Location: airside, International Departures. Showers are available.Lounge Access: Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
- Qantas Lounge - Location: airside, International Departures. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Wellington Airport. Connect to the " WLG Airport Free WiFi " network.
If sleeping in Wellington Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport Motor Lodge - (5 min walk from the airport) (5 min walk from the airport) The closest lodging to the airport, only 650m from both domestic and international terminals. Free airport shuttle is available from 7:00AM until the last flight.
- Brentwood Hotel - (3 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, use the free phone at the bottom of the stairs in baggage claim (dial 3). Pick-up is by the Cargo convenience store outside of the left-most sliding glass doors at the bottom floor baggage claim.
- Airport Motel & Conference Centre - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 8:00AM to 10:00PM.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Wellington Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Ambassadors - They can be found in the busiest parts of the airport between 12:00PM and 4:00PM every day to offer traveller assistance.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: ANZ - after check in and in the Southern Pier, both on level 1 • BNZ - on level 0 (baggage claim) between baggage claim belts 1 and 2 • Westpac - near Gate 10 on level 1.
- Baby Care Facilities - Parents Room: located on level 1 next to the Silvermoon retail store. In addition, baby change tables are available international arrivals and departures areas.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - Location: The Rock, International Terminal, Airside
- Currency Exchange - Travelex Money Exchange has a main store which is located in the Main Terminal Building, Level 1. Hours: 4:00AM - 7:30PM daily. A 2nd location (kiosk) is can be found in Arrivals (Level 0), the hours vary every day but range from 12:00PM - 6:00PM and also offers a night shift from 11:00PM - 1:00AM (at a minimum).
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24 hour food and drink concessions at this airport. There are at least 5 restaurants that open at 4:00AM. Cargo Convenience store is open 6:00AM - 1:00AM, located in the baggage claim area.
- Information Desk - If you require assistance and do not see an Airport Ambassador, there are two airport customer assistance phones are located by the escalators in the baggage claim area (level 0) and on level 1 just past the check in area.
- Luggage Storage - Location: Baggage Claim, Level 0. Rates: ranging from $5 (1 small bag up to 12 hours) to $20 (1 large bag up to 24 hours). Rates are also available for keys/technology items and oversized baggage.
- Mail Box - You can purchase stamps and postcards at the Relay Store. A mail box is located on Level 1, near the front doors in the check-in area.
- Showers - Free showers are available Landside, Level 1, near the Duty Free and Trenery.
Airport Sleeper Policy
According to an FAQ on the airport's web site, they answer the Can I Stay Overnight in the Airport question with this response: "Wellington Airport does not operate 24hrs. The terminal building is closed for two and a half hours each night between 1.30AM - 3:30AM. In October 2014, I received an email from a reader who let me know that airport sleepers are asked to leave the terminal between 2:00AM - 4:00AM "unless they have “airline problems” like major flight disruptions - thus overnight sleeping on a ‘regular basis’ is not possible."
Officially the airport is closed from 1:30AM - 3:30AM daily.
Airport Flyer express bus service links the airport to Hutt Valley, Wellington city center and Lower Hutt (Queensgate), with departures available every 20 minutes. Buses depart from the southern end of the airport terminal at Level 0, to the right of baggage claim.
Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz and Thrifty offer car rental services onsite at Wellington Airport. Location: Level 0 of the main terminal.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Airport Motel • Airport Motor Lodge • Brentwood Hotel
Taxis and Shuttles
A variety of taxis and shared-ride shuttles are available during airport hours of operation outside of the baggage claim area on Level 0 of the main terminal.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.