Honolulu Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Honolulu Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we tried sleeping on benches around the luggage carousels, but were told to leave by security. - otta86
Airside seating. Photo credit: Roger.
"I really applaud this site as it helped me so very much. I read the other comment about HNL and sleeping in the garden area etc when it was more convienent just to stay in the airport. First, I was in a gate area and a security person woke me up near midnight and I stated I was trying for an earlier flight. He said hope you get it and told me to go over to the main terminal by starbucks for 24 hours opening, which turned out to be where about 15 people were sleeping and some brought sheets! I just found an area I could plug in to and laid down and before I knew, it I was asleep. The security area also has long benches and people were even sleeping there as well, but no one bothered them even though it was manned all night. I was quite fortunate on a huge basis because I was in fact able to board an earlier flight the following morning as the security person told me to come back to that area after 5a. So I did, and things worked out great. I had such a wonderful experience which save me plenty!!!!!"
Have you been to Honolulu Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Honolulu airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Admiral's Club - Location: Overseas Terminal, Airside, 3rd Floor. Hours: 530am - 9pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Airside, Gate 23, Lower Level Garden Area. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Diamond Head Gulf Wing, airside, above Gate 10. Hours: 515am - 1030pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
Other airlines that have (or share) lounges are: Air Canada • Air New Zealand • ANA/Air Japan • American Airlines • Air China • Delta/Northwest • Korean Air • Hawaiian Airlines • IASS • Qantas • JAL • Phillippines Airlines.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge to members of the military and their families. Amenities includes: WiFi, video games, TV lounge, toiletries, snacks, showers, computers and a child care area. Location: Baggage Claim Level, between E & F. Hours: unknown
WiFi is available at the Honolulu Airport for a fee. Shaka Net provides the service. Rates: from $6.95 for two hours. The Central Lobby Business Center also offer kiosks.
If sleeping in Honolulu Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport Honolulu Hotel - (3 min walk from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone in baggage claim to call the hotel. Day rooms are not offered.
- Best Western Plaza Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle service.
- Pacific Marina Inn - (5 min from the airport) Reviews are mixed, but this budget hotel is next to the airport and provides free 24-hr airport shuttle service
To find a cheap room, there is a list of near Honolulu Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art in the Airport - You will find art exhibits in various areas of the airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Business Center:
Internet access and workstation rentals, faxes and photocopying.
Locations: Inter-Island Terminal, Central Lobby (Open: 730am-500pm) • Main Terminal - Gate 13, Security Checkpoint 4 / (Open 730am - 730pm)
- Currency Exchange - ICE Currency Services provides foreign currency services. Locations: Central Lobby • near Gates 12-13 & 24-25. Additionally, the Central Lobby Business Center also does currency exchange (Hours: 7:30AM - 5:00PM).
- Food & Drinks - According to a December 2012 review, there is a 24-hour Starbucks located in the Main Terminal (airside). Vending machines are located at Gate 27 and between Gates 30-32 on the Ewa Concourse.
- Gardens - Enjoy the last moments of sun before departing this beautiful island. Relax in the beautifully landscaped garden airside in the International Terminal.
- Information Desk - There are 15 Information Desks located throughout the airport. Hours: 430am - 1145pm.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Due to security "exhancements", luggage storage and lockers are not available at Honolulu Airport. However, there are a few off-site private companies that provide storage lockers near the airport. Contact the following companies for availability and rates: Aloha Airport Delivery (808) 372-5411 • Alii Stor-Mor (808) 836-0135 • Hawaii Self Storage (808) 836-1500.
- Medical Services - Medical Clinic. Location: Ground floor of the Central Concourse, next to the Japanese Garden.
- Mobile Charging Stations: There are 15 charging stations located throughout the airport in the Central Concourse • Diamond Head Concourse • Ewa Concourse • Main Lobby • Inter-island Terminal. They can be found on walls where former telephone areas once were.
- Security Office - Located 2nd floor of international terminal. Diane L. sent me this email: "Lots of light, but loud buzzing sound. It's also crowded. Lots of concrete benches next to open air planters nearby, but watch out for sprinklers. Found nice area at one end, quiet, away from maintenance workers, dark under the stars, next to planters, a bit remote - scary for 67 yr old single woman, but I actually slept a bit and survived." Thanks for the Tip Diane!
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted in 10 designated smoking areas located in the Overseas Terminal • Inter-Island Terminal • Commuter Terminal
As of March 13, 2015, the landside airport lobbies and baggage claim area are closed from 10:00PM - 5:00PM in an effort to discourage homeless people from sleeping in the airport. These closures mean that regular travelers also cannot stay in the lobbies overnight. Instead, travellers with boarding passes and itineraries can go to a holding area off of lobby 5 before they are allowed to go through TSA checkpoints.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
SpeediShuttle provides affordable on demand door to door service from the airport to your hotel. Shuttles depart within 20 minutes of check-in with Shuttle Attendant at pickup zone.
Fees: Waikiki/Honolulu Harbor (one way) from $15.48; Waikiki / Honolulu Harbor (round trip) from $29.41 includes a 10% discount on the return segment when booked at the same time as your initial travel.
Shuttle stops are on the ground level adjacent to baggage Claim C (Interisland Terminal) as well as curbside at the Overseas Terminal (between Baggage Claim D & E) in front of the Commuter Terminal and on the median curb outside Baggage Claim H.
The City & County of Honolulu provides an island-wide bus transportation system that serves Honolulu International Airport.
Various Bus routes, such No 19, 20 and 31, travel eastbound from the airport with a number of stops.
City Buses arrive and depart from the airport about every 30 minutes depending on route number. Bus Stops are located on the second level roadway along the center median. Look for the signs.
Taxis are available on the center median fronting the terminal baggage claim areas. The fare from the airport to Waikiki during non-rush hour periods is about $40.00-$45.00, plus a baggage charge of 50 cents per bag. Fare is by meter only.
Six rental car companies (Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National) are located on airport, while four others provide off-airport car rentals. Registration counters are located in the Baggage Claim area. On airport rental car offices are located on the ground level opposite Baggage Claim G.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Honolulu Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
- Park Shore Waikiki - I recommend this hotel as a good, (relatively) inexpensive hotel on the beach. This is where I stay when I go to Honolulu. The hotel is no frills and rooms are small, BUT for location, views and price you cannot beat this hotel. Request high level floor and avoid low floor rooms numbered x21-x24.
Last Updated: 08 June 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.