Honolulu Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Honolulu Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
we tried sleeping on benches around the luggage carousels, but were told to leave by security. - otta86
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Honolulu International Airport.
What to Expect
- The Honolulu airport has three terminals: Overseas, Interisland, and Commuter. The terminals are all located within the same building.
- The landside airport lobbies and baggage claim area are closed from 10:00PM - 5:00AM. You will need a boarding pass and itinerary to stay in the airport overnight.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Several reviewers mentioned taking a pleasant nap in the garden area, airside. However, this area closes at midnight.
- For overnight sleeping spots, try the floor around Gates 12-13.
- Some reviewers reported loud announcements and cold temperatures, so bring a sweater and earplugs along.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Honolulu Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Honolulu airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: Overseas Terminal, Airside, 3rd Floor. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Airside, Gate 23, Lower Level Garden Area. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Diamond Head Gulf Wing, airside, above Gate 10. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • United Club Membership.
- IASS Hawaii Lounge - Location: Overseas Terminal, Airside, near Gates 14-23. Hours: 7:30AM - 1:30PM and 2:00PM - 6:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- The Plumeria Lounge - Location: Inter-Island Terminal, Airside, 3rd Floor. Hours: 9:00AM - 6:00PM (Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat) and 9:00AM - 10:45PM (Tues, Thurs, Sun). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
Other airlines that have (or share) lounges are: Air Canada • Air New Zealand • ANA/Air Japan • American Airlines • Air China • Delta/Northwest • Korean Air • Hawaiian Airlines • IASS • Qantas • JAL • Phillippines Airlines.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge to members of the US military and their families. Amenities includes: WiFi, video games, TV lounge, toiletries, snacks, showers, computers and a child care area. Location: ground level, between Baggage Claims E and F. Hours: 8:00AM - 12:00AM.
WiFi is available at the Honolulu Airport for a fee. Shaka Net provides the service. Rates: from $6.95 for two hours. The Central Lobby Business Center also offer kiosks.
If sleeping in Honolulu Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Airport Honolulu Hotel - (3 min walk from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone in baggage claim to call the hotel. Day rooms are not offered.
- Best Western Plaza Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle service.
- Pacific Marina Inn - (5 min from the airport) Reviews are mixed, but this budget hotel is next to the airport and provides free 24-hr airport shuttle service
To find a cheap room, there is a list of near Honolulu Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art in the Airport - You will find art exhibits in various areas of the airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Baggage Carts - In the Domestic Terminal, there is a fee to use the carts. However, ther are free in the International Terminal.
- Business Center -
Internet access and workstation rentals, faxes and photocopying.
Locations: Inter-Island Terminal, Central Lobby (Open: 7:30AM - 5:00PM • Main Terminal - Gate 13, Security Checkpoint 4 / (Open 7:30AM - 7:30PM)
- Currency Exchange - ICE Currency Services provides foreign currency services. Locations: Central Lobby • near Gates 12-13 & 24-25. Additionally, the Central Lobby Business Center also does currency exchange (Hours: 7:30AM - 5:00PM).
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with most open until 10:00PM. Vending machines also available in the airport.
- Gardens - Enjoy the last moments of sun before departing this beautiful island. Relax in the beautifully landscaped garden airside in the International Terminal.
- Information Desk - There are 15 Information Desks located throughout the airport. Hours: 4:30AM - 11:45PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Due to security "enhancements", luggage storage and lockers are not available at Honolulu Airport. However, there are a few off-site private companies that provide storage lockers near the airport. Contact the following companies for availability and rates: Aloha Airport Delivery (808) 372-5411 • Alii Stor-Mor (808) 836-0135 • Hawaii Self Storage (808) 836-1500.
- Medical Services - Medical Clinic. Location: Ground floor of the Central Concourse, next to the Japanese Garden.
- Mobile Charging Stations - There are 15 charging stations located throughout the airport in the Central Concourse • Diamond Head Concourse • Ewa Concourse • Main Lobby • Inter-island Terminal. They can be found on walls where former telephone areas once were.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted in 10 designated smoking areas located in the Overseas Terminal • Inter-Island Terminal • Commuter Terminal
As of March 13, 2015, the landside airport lobbies and baggage claim area are closed from 10:00PM - 5:00AM in an effort to discourage homeless people from sleeping in the airport. These closures mean that regular travellers cannot stay in the lobbies overnight. Instead, travellers with boarding passes and itineraries can go to a holding area off of lobby 5 before they are allowed to go through TSA checkpoints.
SpeediShuttle provides affordable on demand door to door service from the airport to your hotel. Shuttles depart within 20 minutes of check-in with Shuttle Attendant at pickup zone.
Fees: Waikiki/Honolulu Harbor (one way) from $15.48; Waikiki / Honolulu Harbor (round trip) from $29.41 includes a 10% discount on the return segment when booked at the same time as your initial travel.
Shuttle stops are on the ground level adjacent to baggage Claim C (Interisland Terminal) as well as curbside at the Overseas Terminal (between Baggage Claim D & E) in front of the Commuter Terminal and on the median curb outside Baggage Claim H.
TheBus public transportation system serves the airport via routes 19, 20 and 31, which stop on the Departure (upper) Level of the airport. These routes connect passengers to downtown Honolulu, Ala Moana Center, Waikiki, Pearlridge Center (route 20 only), Hickam AFB (route 19 only) and Tripler Army Medical Center via Kalihi Transit Center (route 31). Routes 9, 40, 40A, 42 and 62 run along Nimitz Highway, which is a short walk from the airport. The Handi-Van is a TheBus service for mobility-impaired passengers who can’t use regular TheBus service. For schedules, routes and fares for all TheBus services, go to the TheBus website.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Use the free courtesy phone at airport baggage claim to call the hotel for a pick up once you arrive. Shuttles depart from the center island on the arrivals level. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle: Airport Honolulu Hotel • Best Western The Plaza Hotel.
Taxis are available on the center median fronting the terminal baggage claim areas. The fare from the airport to Waikiki during non-rush hour periods is about $40.00-$45.00, plus a baggage charge of 50 cents per bag. Fare is by meter only.
Six rental car companies (Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National) are located on airport, while four others provide off-airport car rentals. Registration counters are located in the Baggage Claim area. On airport rental car offices are located on the ground level opposite Baggage Claim G.
Last Updated: 14 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.