Houston Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Houston Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the announcement are incredibly annoying...all night long. The security woke me up by kicking my backpack (which was my pillow). -wezzard
by a guest
Flight from LAX to CLT had a 6 hour layover in Houston at 1 AM. I stumbled off the plane looking for a quiet place to crash and passed the Interfaith Chapel on Airside C. Hello. Three long church pews, each with its own long seat cushion. Two were already occupied, so I slid in. The lights were soft, the AC hummed just enough to cover overnight cleaning crews a bit, and I stretched my 6 ft frame out in relative comfort. Got 5 hours of shut-eye. Hope you post this and it helps another weary road warrior.
Have you been to Houston Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Houston airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- United Club - Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
- Terminal A - Location: Airside, Gate A9. Hours: 530am - 6pm.
- Terminal B - Location: Airside, South Mezzanine, above the Continental Express Counter. Hours: 530am - 9pm
- Terminal C - South - Location: Airside, South Concourse, Gate C33. Showers are available. Hours: 530am - 9pm.
- Terminal C - North - Location: Airside, North Concourse, Gate C24. Hours: 5am - 715pm
- Terminal E - Location: Airside, between Gates E11 and 12. Showers are available. Hours: 530am - 1130pm.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge to members of the military and their families. Amenities: WiFi, video games, TV lounge, snacks, computers and a library. Location: Terminal D, across from D-2 (airside). Hours: 9am - 9pm
Free WiFi is available at Houston Airport. Connect to the "Free Airport WIFI" network.
If sleeping in Houston Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental - Accessible from all terminals by free underground tram service.
- SpringHill Suites Houston Intercontinental Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available, on request.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Bush IAH South - (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service from 5am - 11pm.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Bush Intercontinental Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available from 4am to 11pm (weekdays) and 5am to 11pm (Sat/Sun). For airport pick-up, call the hotel from the courtesy phone in the airport.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Intercontinental Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
- Red Roof Inn Houston IAH Airport- (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service from 5am to Midnight.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of near Houston Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
ATMs / Cash Machines
ATMs are located throughout the terminal (landside and airside)
If you are arriving on an international flight, baggage carts are free to use. Otherwise, there is a $5.00 fee to use. You can find Smarte Carte throughout the airport.
Locations: Terminal C, South Concourse, near Gates C29-C30 • Terminal D, near Gates D7-8. Hours: open 24 hours.
Child Care Facilities
Nursing rooms - Locations: Terminal B, Near Gates B84-91 • Terminal D, Near Gates D7-8.
In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email I receive about this, I'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved" and I don't know where they are kept.
Currency ExchangeThere are seven ICE and Travelex offices in the airport (landside and airside)
Food & Drinks
At the time of this update Fresh Gourmet Marketplace is open 24 hours. Location: Terminal B, Near Gates B1 - B31.
Information not available
Luggage Storage & Lockers
Information not available
Location: throughout the terminals. Rate: $
There are Rapid Charger Machines ($) and Samsung Charging Stations (free) located through the airport. Samsung Charging Stations locations:
- Terminal A, North, near Gates 8-15
- Terminal A, South, near Gates A25-30 • A17-24
- Terminal B, near Gates B62 & B66 • Gates B76-83 • Gates B84-91
- Terminal C, North, near Gates C14-C23 • Gates 24-27
- Terminal C, South, near Gates 29-33 • near Gates 34-42
- Terminal D, near Gates D 7-8 • Gates D 9 - 12 * Terminal D
- Terminal E, near Gate E1 • Gates E2 3 8 9 • Gates E4 5 6 7 • Gates E10-11, Gates E12-14 • Gates E15 16 21 22 • Gates E17 18 19 20 • Gates E23 24
Showers are available in the United Club in Terminal E. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
XPress Spa - Locations: Terminal E, Near Gate E1 • Terminal D, Near Gates D7-8. Hours: Vary
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is serviced by major rental car companies from the Consolidated Rental Car Facility. This is on the east side of JFK Blvd, less than 5 minutes from the terminals.Companies include Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Thrifty. Location: Rental Car Facility, 5 minute "Rental Car Shuttle" from the terminal.
Courtesy vans are operated by various hotels/motels in and around the airport. Use the courtesy telephones in the baggage claim area to request pick-ups. Courtesy shuttles are also available for rental car companies and off-airport parking lots.
SuperShuttle Shared-Ride Service
SuperShuttle provides ground transportation services at George Bush Intercontinental and William P. Hobby airports. SuperShuttle takes reservations and picks-up travelers and transports them to the airports and vice versa.
Bus service - Houston Metro
The Houston Metropolitan Transit Authority (METRO) offers bus services available at the south side of Terminal C. Metro Bus 102 picks up on the south side of Terminal C street level (baggage claim) and stops at the downtown Metro station. For routes and schedule information, visit the Ride Metro web site.
Taxis are available at Curb Zone 3 outside of the baggage claim area in the lower level. All destinations within Houston's city limits to/from Hobby Airport are charged according to the flat Zone Rate or the meter rate, whichever is LESS. In addition: City ordinance authorizes the taxi driver to add an additional $1.25 departure fee to the total fare for meter rate only; two or more passengers going to the same destination shall only be charged one fare; late night surcharge is $1 per trip from 8pm to 6am.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Houston Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Other Useful Resources
- Official Airport Web Site
- Tripadvisor - search Houston hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
- Houston Sightseeing Tours & Activities - If you are would like to book sightseeing tours, activities or airport transfers in Houston our partner site has all the booking info, rates and traveller reviews.
Last Updated: 08 June 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.