Houston Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Houston Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the announcement are incredibly annoying...all night long. The security woke me up by kicking my backpack (which was my pillow). -wezzard
by Old couple headed south
December 2015 - Having read the review favorably rating the interfaith chapel, my wife and I headed right for it. A group of younger people had entered just before us, and we all settled down for a fairly quiet nap. Within half an hour, an airport cop on a Segway came in to roust us out.
We ended up sleeping on the floor by our boarding gate, which wasn't too bad.
Have you been to Houston Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Houston airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- United Club - Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
- Terminal A - Location: Airside, Gate A9.
- Terminal B - Location: Airside, South Mezzanine, above the Continental Express Counter.
- Terminal C - South - Location: Airside, South Concourse, Gate C33. Showers are available.
- Terminal C - North - Location: Airside, North Concourse, Gate C24.
- Terminal E - Location: Airside, between Gates E11 and 12. Showers are available.
- KLM Crown Lounge - Location: Terminal D, Airside, near Gate D8. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Air France Lounge - Location: Terminal D, Airside, opposite Gate D12. Hours: 12:00PM - 6:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge to members of the military and their families. Amenities: WiFi, video games, TV lounge, snacks, computers and a library. Location: Terminal D, Airside, across from D-2. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM.
Free WiFi is available at Houston Airport. Connect to the "Free Airport WIFI" network.
If sleeping in Houston Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Houston Airport Marriott at George Bush Intercontinental - Accessible from all terminals by free underground tram service.
- SpringHill Suites Houston Intercontinental Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available, on request.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Bush IAH South - (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service from 5:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Hampton Inn & Suites Bush Intercontinental Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available from 4:00AM to 11:00PM (weekdays) and 5:00AM to 11:00PM (Sat/Sun). For airport pick-up, call the hotel from the courtesy phone in the airport.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Intercontinental Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
- Red Roof Inn Houston IAH Airport- (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service from 5:00AM to Midnight.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of near Houston Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
ATMs / Cash Machines
ATMs are located throughout the terminal (landside and airside)
If you are arriving on an international flight, baggage carts are free to use. Otherwise, there is a $5.00 fee to use. You can find Smarte Carte throughout the airport.
Locations: Terminal C, South Concourse, near Gates C29-C30 • Terminal D, near Gates D7-8. Hours: open 24 hours.
Child Care Facilities
Nursing rooms - Locations: Terminal B, Near Gates B84-91 • Terminal D, Near Gates D7-8.
In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email I receive about this, I'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved" and I don't know where they are kept.
Currency ExchangeThere are seven ICE and Travelex offices in the airport (landside and airside)
Food & Drinks
At the time of this update Fresh Gourmet Marketplace is open 24 hours. Location: Terminal B, Near Gates B1 - B31.
Location: throughout the terminals. Rate: $
There are Rapid Charger Machines ($) and Samsung Charging Stations (free) located through the airport. Samsung Charging Stations locations:
- Terminal A, North, near Gates 8-15
- Terminal A, South, near Gates A25-30 • A17-24
- Terminal B, near Gates B62 & B66 • Gates B76-83 • Gates B84-91
- Terminal C, North, near Gates C14-C23 • Gates 24-27
- Terminal C, South, near Gates 29-33 • near Gates 34-42
- Terminal D, near Gates D 7-8 • Gates D 9 - 12 * Terminal D
- Terminal E, near Gate E1 • Gates E2 3 8 9 • Gates E4 5 6 7 • Gates E10-11, Gates E12-14 • Gates E15 16 21 22 • Gates E17 18 19 20 • Gates E23 24
Showers are available in the United Club in Terminal E. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
XPress Spa - Locations: Terminal E, Near Gate E1 • Terminal D, Near Gates D7-8. Hours: Vary
While the airport is open 24 hours, it only remains open to ticketed passengers already within the terminal who have been stranded or arrived late at night and await connecting flights in the morning.
If you are a traveller looking to spend the night inside the airport prior to an early morning flight, the terminal doors are locked to outsiders. According to a review we received on March 25, 2016 from a traveller at Terminal C it was not possible to enter overnight. The reviewer tells us " You say that the airport is open 24h. It is just not true. They close the doors for the night hours. If you are already in, its OK, but from the outside you can't get in during these hours. If your ticket is for the next calendar day, they dont let you in and have to wait until 4 AM. In this case, you should be prepared to wait outside the terminal or make other arrangements.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. The TSA security screening checkpoint hours vary according to terminal:
- Terminal A North: 4:30AM - 8:00PM
- Terminal A South: 3:30AM - 10:30PM
- Terminal B: 5:00AM - 9:00PM
- Terminal C North: 4:30AM - 7:00PM
- Terminal C South: 4:00AM - 11:00PM
- Terminal D: 4:00AM - 12:30AM
- Terminal E: 4:30AM - 12:01AM
For travel from the airport to the Amtrak station by bus, use Bus Line 102 from Terminal C. Exit the bus at Milam St & Preston St and walk 10 minutes to the station. Frequency: the bus departs approximately every 20 minutes. Estimated travel time is approximately 54 minutes.
To travel from the Amtrak station to the airport, walk to the Bus Line 102 stop at Travis St at Franklin St and take the bus to Houston Airport, Terminal C. Frequency: the bus departs every 15 minutes. Estimated travel time is approximately 54 minutes.
Bus service - Houston Metro
IAH is served by Houston METRO public bus 102, which runs between the south side of Terminal C (baggage claim level) and the downtown Metro station. For fares and route information, visit the Houston METRO website.
Onsite car rental agencies operate from Consolidated Rental Car Facility, a separate building located east of JFK Blvd on airport grounds, and only 5 minutes from the airport terminals. The facility can be reached from the terminals via maroon and white shuttle buses marked “Rental Car Shuttle”. From Arrivals, follow the Rental Car signage to the shuttle stops. The following agencies are located onsite in the facility: Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Firefly, Hertz, National and Thrifty.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. You can use the courtesy telephones in the baggage claim area to request airport pickup. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle: Baymont Inn & Suites Intercontinental Airport/Humble • Best Western Plus JFK Inn & Suites • Comfort Suites Bush Intercontinental Airport • Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Houston Intercontinental Airport South • Doubletree Houston Intercontinental Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Houston - Bush Intercontinental Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Houston/Bush Intercontinental Airport • Holiday Inn Express Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport East • Holiday Inn Houston Intercontinental Airport • La Quinta Inn & Suites Houston Bush Intercontinental Airport East • Marriott Houston Airport at George Bush Intercontinental • Sheraton North Houston at George Bush Intercontinental • Sleep Inn & Suites Bush Intercontinental Airport IAH East • SpringHill Suites Houston Intercontinental Airport • Super 8 Intercontinental Houston.
SuperShuttle is an authorized shared ride service provider, offering door-to-door shared ride or exclusive ride service between the airport and destinations in the Houston metropolitan area, including William P. Hobby Airport. Rides can be booked online, via phone or upon arrival at the airport at the SuperShuttle kiosk located in the baggage claim area.
Taxis can be hailed with the assistance of Ground Transportation staff on the ground floor outside of each terminal. All rides within Houston city limits are charged a flat rate or assessed by meter, whichever is less. A flag drop fee of $2.75 is added to the trip, along with a late night surcharge of $1 per trip if applicable (8:00PM - 6:00AM). Two or more passengers ride on the same fare, and senior citizens receive a 10% discount. TAXIPASS and major credit cards are accepted by all taxis. At the time of this update, an average one-way fare between the airport and Downtown is $53.50.
Last Updated: 08 June 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.