Miami Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Miami Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The best spot is just before concourse A on upper level, there is a quite large alcove where nobody would disturb you. -Sitos
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Miami International Airport.
What to Expect
- The Miami airport has 3 interconnected terminals: North, South, and Central.
- The airport is open 24 hours. However, security checkpoints close depending on that night’s flight schedule. Be sure to check ahead before exiting or entering the airside area.
- Several 24 hour concession options can be found landside. Airside, there is a 24 hour Einstein bagels in the North Terminal.
- People most often end up sleeping at this airport because of canceled flights.
- Some reviewers reported messy bathrooms and dirty seats at this airport. You may want to bring along hand sanitizer, tissues, and wipes.
- A few reviewers warned of long security lines at this airport.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Sleeping options are limited. Reviewers reported that all seats have armrests. Some reviewers slept successfully on the carpeted floor in the North Terminal.
- In the event of a canceled flight, airport staff may provide blankets or cots for stranded passengers.
- Consider bringing earplugs, a blanket and warm clothes, as the airport is reportedly cold and noisy throughout the night.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel within the Central Terminal and other nearby hotels that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- Showers can be found in a few of the lounges.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Miami Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Miami airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: North Terminal, Airside, Concourse D, across from Gate D30. Showers are available. Hours: 4:30AM - 10:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: North Terminal, Airside, Concourse D, 3rd Floor, above Gate D15. Showers are available. Hours: 4:30AM - 10:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Avianca VIP Lounge - Location: Concourse J South, Airside, 3rd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00).
- Centurion Lounge - Location: Concourse D, Airside, near Gate D12. Lounge Access: American Express® Card Members can purchase a one day pass for US$50. Access is complimentary for Platinum and Centurion cardholders.
- Club America - Location: Concourse F, Airside, 3rd Floor. Showers are available ($). Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00).
- Delta Sky Club - Location: South Terminal, Airside, in the H and J Connector, to the left of the H Concourse Security. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- Premium Lounge - Location: North Terminal, Airside, Concourse E, 5th Floor, just beyond the security checkpoint. Showers are available. Hours: 4:00AM - 3:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- VIP Lounge Miami - Location: Concourse J South, Airside, near Gate J5 in the main departure lounge. Showers are available. Hours: 4:00AM - 3:00PM.
A military hospitality lounge is available for active and retired military travelers. Inside this volunteer-run lounge you will have complimentary snacks and beverages, magazines, TV and Free WiFi. Location: Concourse E, Central Terminal, Level 2. Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM.
WiFi is available at Miami Airport for a fee. Connect to “MIA-WiFi” network. Rates: $7.95 (24 continuous hours) or $4.95 (30 minutes). There are certain web sites (the airport, local hotels and car rental companies) that you can access for free if you visit http://airportwifi.com/MIA/ on your mobile device.
If you need to access the internet but don’t have a device, there are public internet workstations (printers also available) on the 7th floor, and also in the Lobby Bar of the Miami International Airport Hotel in Concourse E on the Departure Level of the main terminal. Fee: $4.95 for the first 20 minutes of access, 25-cents per min after. 50-cent per printed page. Both locations accept credit cards, and Lobby Bar also accepts cash. The ICE Business Center also has computers for use. See the More Services section below for details.
If sleeping in Miami Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel inside and near the airport:
- Miami International Airport Hotel - Located inside Central Terminal Concourse E, Level 2 (Departures). Day rooms are offered from 10:00AM to 6:00PM at discounted rates.
- Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel & Executive Meeting Center- (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 15 minutes from 5:00AM to Midnight, and every 30 minutes after hours. For airport pick-up, please flag down the shuttle from the median passenger pick-up lane on Level 2 (Departures). Free shuttle service to surrounding area attractions within a 3 mile radius (subject to availability - reservation required)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Miami Airport and Intermodal Area - (7 min from the airport) A new hotel due to open in December 2015. Currently taking reservations for future stays. Free airport shuttle service available.
- Red Roof + Miami Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 5:00AM to 12:30AM, except from 1:00PM to 2:00PM when the shuttle provides free drop-off service to the Port of Miami cruise port (shuttle does not provide pick-up from Port of Miami).
- Embassy Suites Miami International Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available (subject to availability). Shuttle also goes to surrounding area within 3 mile radius.
- Element Hotel - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle departs every 30 minutes.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Miami Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art Exhibitions - There are several galleries and exhibits located throughout the terminals (landside and airside).
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Banking - There is a full-service Bank of America branch in Concourse D, 4th Level.
- Business Center - Computers with internet and printing capabilities, currency exchange, faxing and a host of other services and products are available at the International Currency Exchange (ICE) Business Center. Location: Between Concourses H and J, airside.
- Baggage Carts - Available at various locations throughout the airport. Fee: $5.00.
- Chapel - Gather your thoughts in peace or prayer at the airport’s non-denominational chapel. The chapel also offers Christian services in English and Spanish on designated days, and a weekly Catholic mass. Location: Concourse D, 1st Level, landside, between International Arrivals and Carousel 22. Hours: Unknown, but a reader let us know that it is not open 24 hours. No overnight sleeping allowed here.
- Currency Exchange - Services are available in the following locations: 2nd Level throughout the terminal (landside) • Greeter’s Lobby areas - landside (Concourse E, 1st Level and Concourse J, 3rd Level) • Concourse J, airside • Concourse D, airside • Concourse E, 2nd Level, airside (open from 5:30AM - 11:00PM).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free Americas shops operate with varying schedules at the following locations: Concourse D East, airside, Gate D16 • Concourse D West, airside, Gate D30 • Concourse E, landside, 2nd Level • Concourse F, airside, Gate F11 • South Terminal, airside, H-J Connector • Concourse J, airside, Gate J6.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Concourse D, airside, Gate D26: Einstein Bros Bagels.
- Concourse E, landside, 2nd Level: Subway.
- Concourse F, landside, 2nd Level: Cafe Versailles • Dunkin Donuts.
- Information Desk - Tourist Information Counters offer airport and tourist information from locations throughout the airport, including the main counter at Concourse E, Level 2, near the airport’s hotel. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (daily). You can also flag down one of the Volunteer Ambassadors roaming around the airport, or make use of one of the white courtesy phones located on columns throughout Concourses D, E, F, G, H and J. The white courtesy phones are available 24/7 for information and airport-wide paging services.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Enjoy your layover unburdened by luggage! Store your luggage, coats and other personal items at The Baggage Checkroom. Location: Concourse E, Level 2. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM. Rate: varies according to the size of the baggage.
- Pharmacy - Navarro Pharmacy - Location: South Terminal, Airside by the H-J Connector. Hours 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Showers - Available in the Admiral's Club Lounge and Club America lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa - Manicures, pedicures, spray tans, massages and more are available at Jetsetter Spa (Concourse H, Airside, 2nd Level). Beauty services are also available at 10 Minute Manicure (Concourse J, Airside, 2nd Level) and XpresSpa (Concourse D East, airside, Gate D11).
- Therapy Dogs - Be on the look out for the airport's trained therapy dog, a golden retriever that walks around the terminal two days a week with its owner to snuggle with dog loving travelers.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Tri-Rail is a commuter train connecting the airport to Downtown Miami. To access, head to the third level and use MIA Mover (automated people mover trail). Exit at the Miami International Airport Station and board the Tri-Rail P682 Northbound towards Mangonia Park. Exit at the MetroRail Transfer Station and walk less than five minutes to the Amtrak Station by heading east on NW 80th St toward NW 37th Ave. Total travel time using the MIA and Tri-Rail is about 25 minutes.
If you prefer to not walk at all, you can take the MIA to Miami International Airport Station as outlined above and then board Bus 42 - Opa-Locka Tri-Rail Station. Exit at NW 37 Av@# 8303 (Amtrak). On a good day, travel time should be about 30 minutes.
Finally, taxis can be found at the arrivals area outside baggage claim. Travelers are advised to ignore transportation solicitations inside the terminal as this is an illegal activity. To obtain legal and safe transportation, only use taxis located at the taxi stands where uniformed staff members will assist you. Travel via taxi should be about 20 minutes.
Advantage • Alamo • All-Day • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • E-Z • Hertz • National • Payless • Thrifty and more. Location: Rental Car Center, accessible by shuttle bus.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Miami Airport North Hotel & Suites • Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport • Comfort Suites Miami Airport North • Element Miami International Airport • Embassy Suites by Hilton Miami - International Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton - Miami Airport / Blue Lagoon • Hilton Miami Airport • Holiday Inn Express & Suites Miami Airport & Intermodal Area • Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon • Hyatt House Miami Airport • Pullman Miami Airport Hotel • Red Roof Plus+ Miami Airport • Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel • Sleep Inn at Miami International Airport • SpringHill Suites Miami Airport South.
Miami Beach Airport Metroflyer
This travels between the Miami Intermodal Center (MIA) and Miami Beach. The Miami Beach Airport Flyer makes traveling to/from Miami International Airport to Miami Beach fast, easy and convenient. For just $2.65 each way, passengers can ride aboard 40-foot buses. The Airport Flyer runs every 30 minutes and provides express service from 6:00AM to 11:40PM, seven days a week. For more details visit the Miami Dade web site.
Metrorail Orange Line
Metrorail's Orange Line offers visitors easy, affordable access to Miami International Airport. Trains serving the MIA Metrorail station are marked ORANGE LINE. For schedules and costs, visit the Miami Dade web site.
MetroBus / MetroRail
Connect to MetroBus and MetroRail at the Miami Central Station. To get to Miami Central Station from the airport, go to the third level and use the Skyride (moving sidewalks) to access the MIA Mover station. The MIA Mover, located between the Dolphin and Flamingo Garages, takes travelers directly to Miami Central Station.
The MetroBus serves major business, shopping, entertainment facilities and more. The For added convenience, MetroBus transit intersects with MetroRail and MetroMover. For more information on routes, schedules and rates, visit the Metro Dade MetroBus site.
The MetroRail is a rapid transit system that provides transportation from the airport to South Miami, Coral Gables, downtown Miami and more via two lines, Orange and Green. Some stations are also easily wheelchair accessible. For more information on routes, schedules and rates, visit the Miami Dade MetroRail site.
For travelers looking for more distant adventures, the Tri-Rail provides service to Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. To access Tri-Rail, make your way to Miami Central Station. To get to Miami Central Station from the airport, go to the third level and use the Skyride (moving sidewalks) to access the MIA Mover station. The MIA Mover, located between the Dolphin and Flamingo Garages, takes travelers directly to Miami Central Station. Visit the Tri-Rail web site.
Taxis are available on the arrival (ground) level of the airport outside the baggage claim areas.
Last Updated: 17 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.