Miami Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Miami Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The best spot is just before concourse A on upper level, there is a quite large alcove where nobody would disturb you. -Sitos
I flew into Miami at 9pm and my next flight wasn't until 11:30am. Since the airline I used didn't have any flights until morning, I couldn't check in until roughly 7-8am. I came upon your website and thought I'd check out concourse D. I couldn't get to any gates since I hadn't checked in yet, so I looked around for the chapel/bank area. What a find! Before I dozed off I saw one traveler (who went into the chapel), one security guard, and one custodian. There are men's and women's bathrooms behind Bank of America along with water fountains and two chairs. The floor is carpeted and there are plenty of outlets if you need them. The lighting isn't very dim, but there's no announcements. Can't complain about the temperature, either. The Bank of America ATM brings in a little bit of foot traffic near the escalator and chapel, but if you camp out in the back corridor they won't go past you at all. The only downside is once you're up there you're pretty far from any of the 24 hour food joints, so make sure to grab what you need before you get settled.
Have you been to Miami Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Miami airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: North Terminal, Airside, Concourse D, across from Gate D30. Showers are available. Hours: 4:30AM - 11:30PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: North Terminal, Airside, Concourse D, 3rd Floor, above Gate D15. Showers are available. Hours: 4:30AM - 11:30PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: North Terminal, Airside, Concourse E, 5th Floor, just beyond the security checkpoint. Showers are available. Hours: 4:30AM - 11:30PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Centurion Lounge - Location: Concourse D, Airside, near Gate D12. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00AM. Lounge Access: American Express cardholders.
- Delta Airlines Sky Club - Location: South Terminal, Airside, in the H and J Connector, to the left of the H Concourse Security. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- Club America - Location: Concourse F, Airside, 3rd Floor. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- VIP Lounge Miami - Location: Concourse J South, Airside, near Gate J5 in the main departure lounge. Hours: 5:00AM - 12:00AM. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
A military hospitality lounge is available for active and retired military travelers. Inside this volunteer-run lounge you will have complimentary snacks and beverages, magazines, TV and Free WiFi. Location: Concourse E, Central Terminal, Level 2. Hours: 9am - 9pm.
WiFi is available at Miami Airport for a fee. Rates: $7.95 (24 continuous hours) or $4.95 (30 minutes) through Boingo. There are certain web sites (the airport, local hotels and car rental companies) that you can visit for free if you visit http://airportwifi.com/MIA/ on your mobile device.
Internet workstations are available in these locations (fees apply):
- South Terminal on the 7th Floor
- The Lobby Bar of the Miami International Airport Hotel - located at Concourse E on the departure level of the main terminal.
- Business Center - located Airside, between Concourse H & J
If sleeping in Miami Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel inside and near the airport:
- Miami International Airport Hotel - Located inside Central Terminal Concourse E, Level 2 (Departures). Day rooms are offered from 10am to 6pm at discounted rates.
- Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel & Executive Meeting Center- (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 15 minutes from 5am to Midnight, and every 30 minutes after hours. For airport pick-up, please flag down the shuttle from the median passenger pick-up lane on Level 2 (Departures). Free shuttle service to surrounding area attractions within a 3 mile radius (subject to availability - reservation required)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Miami Airport and Intermodal Area - (7 min from the airport) A new hotel due to open in December 2015. Currently taking reservations for future stays. Free airport shuttle service available.
- Red Roof + Miami Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 5am to 12:30am, except from 1pm to 2pm when the shuttle provides free drop-off service to the Port of Miami cruise port (shuttle does not provide pick-up from Port of Miami).
- Embassy Suites Miami International Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available (subject to availability). Shuttle also goes to surrounding area within 3 mile radius.
- Element Hotel - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle departs every 30 minutes.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Miami Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art Exhibitions - There are several galleries and exhibits located throughout the terminals (landside and airside).
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Business Center - The International Currency Exchange Business Center has 5 computers with internet access and printing capability.
- Baggage Carts - Available at various locations throughout the airport. Fee: $5.00.
- Chapel - There is a non-denominational chapel room located in the North Terminal D, Level 4. Hours: unknown, but a reader let us know that it is not open 24 hours. No overnight sleeping allowed here.
- Currency Exchange - There a foreign currency counters located throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Food & Drinks - There are 24-hour food and beverage options at the Miami airport in the Central Terminal (Dunkin Donuts and Subway) • Terminal D (Einstein Brothers Bagels next to gate D26).
»Landside: Dunkin' Donuts • Subway • Au Bon Pain • Fresh Attractions • Sbarros • Great American Bagel • Pizza Hut • Starbucks • Burger King • Chili's To Go • and many more.
»Airside: there are many dining option post-security, although no 24 hour dining.
- Information Desk - Info desks can be found throughout the terminal, including the main counter at Central Terminal E, Level 2, near the airport's hotel. Main counter hours 6:00AM - 10:00PM every day. You can also seek out assistance from the volunteer airport ambassadors.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Central Terminal E, Level 2. Hours: 5am - 9pm. Rate: varies according to the size of the baggage.
- Pharmacy - Navarro Pharmacy - Location: South Terminal, Airside by the H-J Connector. Hours 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Showers - Available in the Admiral's Club Lounge and Club America lounges.
- Spa - Locations: Jetsetter Spa, South Terminal H, 2nd level • Xpress Spa, North Terminal, Airside, Terminal D, East by Gate D11 • 10 Minute Manicure, South Terminal J, 2nd level.
- Therapy Dogs - Be on the look out for the airport's trained therapy dog, a golden retriever that walks around the terminal two days a week with its owner to snuggle with dog loving travelers.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Advantage • Alamo • All-Day • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • E-Z • Hertz • National • Payless • Thrifty and more. Location: Rental Car Center, accessible by shuttle bus.
Miami Beach Airport Metroflyer
This travels between the Miami Intermodal Center (MIA) and Miami Beach. The Miami Beach Airport Flyer makes traveling to/from Miami International Airport to Miami Beach fast, easy and convenient. For just $2.65 each way, passengers can ride aboard 40-foot buses. The Airport Flyer runs every 30 minutes and provides express service from 6am to 11.40pm, seven days a week. For more details visit the Miami Dade web site.
Metrorail Orange Line
Metrorail's Orange Line offers visitors easy, affordable access to Miami International Airport. Trains serving the MIA Metrorail station are marked ORANGE LINE. For schedules and costs, visit the Miami Dade web site.
MetroBus / MetroRail
Connect to MetroBus and MetroRail at the Miami Central Station. To get to Miami Central Station from the airport, go to the third level and use the Skyride (moving sidewalks) to access the MIA Mover station. The MIA Mover, located between the Dolphin and Flamingo Garages, takes travelers directly to Miami Central Station.
The MetroBus serves major business, shopping, entertainment facilities and more. The For added convenience, MetroBus transit intersects with MetroRail and MetroMover. For more information on routes, schedules and rates, visit the Metro Date MetroBus site.
The MetroRail is a rapid transit system that provides transportation from the airport to South Miami, Coral Gables, downtown Miami and more via two lines, Orange and Green. Some stations are also easily wheelchair accessible. For more information on routes, schedules and rates, visit the Miami Dade MetroRail site.
For travelers looking for more distant adventures, the Tri-Rail provides service to Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. To access Tri-Rail, make your way to Miami Central Station. To get to Miami Central Station from the airport, go to the third level and use the Skyride (moving sidewalks) to access the MIA Mover station. The MIA Mover, located between the Dolphin and Flamingo Garages, takes travelers directly to Miami Central Station. Visit the Tri-Rail web site.
Taxis are available on the arrival (ground) level of the airport outside the baggage claim areas.
Last Updated: 14 November 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.