Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Miami Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I’ve been warmer skiing, and got a better night’s sleep when I had influenza. Hoping for a few winks on the outgoing flight.. – a traveller
MIA Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Miami International Airport.
What to Expect
Miami Airport (code: MIA) is a large hub for international travel, and one of the fastest growing airports in the United States. It has three interconnected terminals: North (Concourse D), Central (Concourses E, F, G) and South (Concourses H and J). Moving walkways and skytrains connect the concourses and the rental car centre. As a whole, the airport can be busy and messy so it is best to give yourself extra time. The airport offers a decent range of shopping and dining options; however, most 24-hour concessions are located landside. The only airside options are the Einstein Bagels in the North Terminal, and the Earl of Sandwich in the South Terminal. The airport also has a yoga room, a therapy dog and free WiFi. It’s worth noting that the WiFi does come with advertising – and you need to pay for an ad-free experience. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges, some of which have showers, that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Miami Airport
Good sleep options at Miami Airport are fairly limited. The airport tends to be cold and noisy, with little armrest-free seating options. That said, there are a few key spots. A few travellers set up on red couches near baggage claim in the South terminal, while others sought out carpeted areas near the Auditorium or the Admirals Club in the North terminal. No matter where you sleep, it’s a good idea to bring something to sleep on, along with noise cancelling headphones or earplugs, an eye mask, and warm layers. Explore our guide to sleeping in Miami Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel at Concourse E in the Central Terminal, and other hotels nearby that are connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
While Miami Airport is open 24 hours, security checkpoints close depending on that night’s flight schedule. Be sure to ask for this schedule before entering or exiting the airside area at night.
If you find yourself with a delay or cancelled flight, some airlines have provided pillows and blankets to other travellers. Inquire with your airline if you find yourself in this situation.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Miami Airport Guide.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
American Airlines Admirals Club – Multiple Locations – Concourse D: (1) Across Gate D30 and (1) Above Gate D15. Concourse E (1) Across from Gate E20.
Passes Avianca VIP Lounge – Location: South Terminal, Concourse J South, Airside, 3rd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Centurion Lounge – Location: North Terminal, Concourse D, Airside, near Gate D12. Lounge Access: American Express® Card Members.
Passes Club America – Location: Concourse F, Airside, 3rd Floor. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Delta Sky Club – Location: South Terminal, Airside, in the H and J Connector, to the left of the H Concourse Security. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of Delta Airlines ticket • Lounge membership programs.
VIP Lounge Miami – Location: South Terminal, Concourse J, Airside, near Gate J5 in the main departure lounge. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
VIP Lounge Terminal E – Location: Central Terminal Concourse E, Airside, 2nd Floor. Lounge Access: Unknown.
Passes Turkish Airlines Lounge – Location: Central Terminal E, Airside, Level 2. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
LATAM Lounge – Location: South Terminal, Concourse J, Airside.
A military hospitality lounge is available for active and retired military travelers. Inside this volunteer-run lounge you will have complimentary snacks and beverages, magazines, TV and Free WiFi. Location: Concourse E, Central Terminal, Level 2. Hours: 9:00AM – 9:00PM.
Related Pages: Miami Airport Lounges
If sleeping in the airport overnight does not appeal to you (and you have the budget!), there is a hotel inside the Central Terminal and many nearby hotels that provide a free airport shuttle.
Hotel inside Miami Airport
Inside Airport Miami International Airport Hotel – Located inside Central Terminal Concourse E, Level 2 (Departures). No airport shuttle. Day use rooms are offered from 10:00AM to 6:00PM.
Hotels near the airport
- Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 15 minutes from 5:00AM to Midnight, and every 30 minutes after hours. For airport pick-up, please flag down the shuttle from the median passenger pick-up lane on Level 2 (Departures), near Door 5. Free shuttle service to surrounding area attractions within a 3 mile radius (subject to availability – reservation required).
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Miami Airport East – (7 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. When you arrive at the airport go to the 2nd level of departures, the shuttle runs every 30 minutes between 6:00AM and 11:00PM.
- Red Roof + Miami Airport – (8 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle available daily from 5:00AM – 12:30AM, every 30 minutes.
- Embassy Suites Miami International Airport – (8 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle service is available every 30 – 45 minutes.
- Element Hotel – (8 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle departs every 30 minutes.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Miami Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Miami Airport, connect to “MIA-WiFi” network. Access with advertising is free or you may purchase Standard Service without advertising for $4.95 or Premium Service without advertising for $7.95.
If you are not travelling with a mobile device, there are public internet workstations (printers also available) on the 7th floor, and also in the Lobby Bar of the Miami International Airport Hotel in Concourse E on the Departure Level of the main terminal. Fee: $4.95 for the first 20 minutes of access, 25-cents per min after. 50-cent per printed page. Both locations accept credit cards, and Lobby Bar also accepts cash. The ICE Business Center also has computers for use. See the More Services section below for details.
- Business Center – Computers with internet and printing capabilities, currency exchange, faxing and a host of other services and products are available at the International Currency Exchange (ICE) Business Center. Location: Between Concourses H and J, airside.
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailbox. Locations: several locations, Lanside, 2nd Level.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Need a comfortable and private place to nurse and care for your baby? Look for free-standing MIAmamas suites. Each suite has a fold-down table, two benches, a collapsible table, power outlet with USB, and are lockable for privacy. There’s enough room in the suite for mama, baby, and their luggage or stroller, or even for a small family! Locations: Airside, near the following gates: D20 • D36 • E7-E9 • E21- E31 • F6 – F8 • G4 • H4 • J5 – J7.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Designed in collaboration with Miami Children’s Museum, Plane Fun is an educational and interactive play area for kids. There’s a child-sized control tower with working functions, a soft play section for toddlers, a simulated hot air balloon ride, and more! Location: Concourse E, airside, near Gate E5. This space is also accessible from Concourse D.
- Yoga Room – Relax or stretch in between flights at the airport’s yoga room. The room comes equipped with complimentary practice mats. Location: Terminal H, landside, 1st Floor. Hours: 9:00AM – 9:00PM.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
» Central Terminal, Landside, Concourse F, 2nd Level – Dunkin’ Donuts • Cafe Versailles.
» Central Terminal, Landside, Concourse E, 2nd Level – Subway
» North Terminal, Airside, near Gate D26 – Einstein Bros. Bagels
» South Terminal, Airside, Concourse J (near Gate J8) – Earl of Sandwich
- Water Stations – Thirsty? Water bottle refill stations are available. Locations: Landside, Arrivals, Level 1, near Door 6 • Landside, Baggage Claim Carousel 22/26 • Airside, Concourse E, after Security Checkpoint • Airside, H/J Connector • Airside, near Gate F8 • Airside, near Gate G6 • Airside, near Gate J7 • Airside, near Gate D20.
- Information Desk – Tourist Information Counters offer airport and tourist information from locations throughout the airport, including the main counter at Concourse E, Level 2, near the airport’s hotel. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM (daily). You can also flag down one of the Volunteer Ambassadors roaming around the airport, or make use of one of the white courtesy phones located on columns throughout Concourses D, E, F, G, H and J. The white courtesy phones are available 24/7 for information and airport-wide paging services.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available free of charge throughout the airport. Rate: $5.00 per cart.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Enjoy your layover unburdened by luggage! Store your luggage, coats and other personal items at The Baggage Checkroom. Location: Central Terminal, Concourse E, Level 2. Hours: 5:00AM – 9:00PM. Rate: ranges from $6.00 – $19.00/day/bag according to the size of the baggage.
- Luggage Wrapping – Baggage carts are available free of charge throughout the airport. Rate: Available for a fee at kiosks located landside on the 2nd level of all three terminals. Hours: unknown.
- Pharmacy – Navarro Pharmacy – Location: South Terminal, Airside by the H-J Connector. Hours 6:00AM – 9:00PM • Air Essentials – Location: North Terminal, Landside, Concourse D East, Level 1. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – A reader mentioned that there are plenty of outlets/USB ports available for charging devices Airside, by Gate D. If you know of more locations, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Banking Services – Bank of America offers full-service banking in the airport. Location: North Terminal D, 4th Level. Hours: unknown.
- Currency Exchange – International Currency Exchange (ICE) kiosks are available in these locations:
» South Terminal, Landside, Concourse H, Level 3, Arrivals (Hours: 1:00PM – 8:00PM)
» North Terminal, Concourse C, Level 2 (Hours: 7:00AM – 8:30PM)
» Central Terminal, Landside, Concourse E, Level 2 (Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM) • Landside, Concourse F, Level 2 (Hours: 10:30AM – 9:30PM) • Landside, Concourse G, Level 2 (Hours: 7:00AM – 5:00PM).
- Pet Relief Area – Both open and fenced-in pet relief areas are available outside of all three terminals on the Arrivals level. Indoor pet relief rooms have artificial turf and clean-up supplies, and are located airside near the following gates: D34 • F7 • G5 • J3.
- Therapy Dogs – Be on the look out for the airport’s trained therapy dog, a golden retriever that walks around the terminal two days a week with its owner to snuggle with dog loving travelers.
- Chapel – Gather your thoughts in peace or prayer at the airport’s non-denominational chapel. The chapel also offers Christian services in English and Spanish on designated days, and a weekly Catholic mass. Location: North Terminal, Concourse D, 1st Level, landside, between International Arrivals and Carousel 22. Hours: Unknown, but a reader let us know that it is not open 24 hours. No overnight sleeping allowed here.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free Americas shops operate with varying schedules at the following locations: Concourse D East, airside, Gate D16 • Concourse D West, airside, Gate D30 • Concourse E, landside, 2nd Level • Concourse F, airside, Gate F11 • South Terminal, airside, H-J Connector • Concourse J, airside, Gate J6. A good variety of shops are also available to pass the time including 2 Hudson News stores which are open 4:15AM – 11:30PM (Terminal E, 2nd Level).
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Salon & Spa Services – Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and other express services are available at Jetsetter Spa. Location: South Terminal, landside, Concourse H, 2nd Level. Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM • XpresSpa provides express salon services. Location: North Terminal, airside, Concourse D East, Gate D11. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Showers – Available in the Admirals Club Lounge and Club America lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking Area – Designated smoking areas are available outdoors, opposite Concourses D, E, F, H, and J on Levels 1 and 2. An indoor smoking lounge is available airside at the TGI Friday’s in Concourse D (Gate D36).
Things to do & see
- Art Exhibitions – There are several galleries and exhibits located throughout the terminals (landside and airside).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according to the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Do you have a long layover? With the proper documentation and a long enough layover, you may have time to leave the airport and do some sightseeing. Here are a few Miami Airport Layover Sightseeing ideas.
Miami airport is served by the following airlines: Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Aerolíneas Argentinas • Aeroméxico • Air Canada • Air Europa • Air France • Air Italy • Alitalia • American Airlines • Aruba Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Avianca • Avior Airlines • BahamasAir • BOA • British Airways • Caribbean Airlines • Cayman Airways • Copa • Delta • Eastern Airlines • El Al Israel Airlines • Eurowings • Finnair • Frontier Airlines • GOL • Iberia • Interjet • KLM • LATAM • Lufthansa • Miami Air • Norwegian • Qatar Airways • SAS • Sun Country • Sunwing • Surinam Airways • Swift Air • Swiss • TAP Portugal • TUIFly • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Virgin Atlantic • VivaAir • Volaris • WestJet • World Atlantic • XL Airways.
The Amtrak Train Station can be accessed by the Tri-Rail (although a bit of a walk is required), local bus (Bus 42 – Opa-Locka Tri-Rail Station) or with a taxi. Trip time ranges from 20 – 30 minutes.
ACE • Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • E-Z • Hertz • National • Payless • Thrifty and more. Location: Rental Car Center, accessible by shuttle bus.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Miami Airport North Hotel & Suites • Clarion Inn & Suites Miami Airport • Comfort Suites Miami Airport North • Element Miami International Airport • Embassy Suites by Hilton Miami – International Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton – Miami Airport / Blue Lagoon • Hilton Miami Airport • Holiday Inn Express & Suites Miami Airport East • Homewood Suites Miami-Airport / Blue Lagoon • Hyatt House Miami Airport • Pullman Miami Airport Hotel • Red Roof Plus+ Miami Airport • Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel • Sleep Inn at Miami International Airport • SpringHill Suites Miami Airport South.
Miami Beach Bus
This travels between the Miami Intermodal Center (MIA) and Miami Beach. The Miami Beach Bus makes traveling to/from Miami International Airport to Miami Beach fast, easy and convenient. For just $2.65 each way, passengers can ride aboard 40-foot buses. The Airport Flyer runs every 30 minutes and provides express service from 6:00AM to 11:40PM, seven days a week. For more details visit the Miami Dade web site.
Metrorail Orange Line
Metrorail’s Orange Line offers visitors easy, affordable access to Miami Airport. Trains serving the MIA Metrorail station are marked ORANGE LINE. For schedules and costs, visit the Miami Dade web site.
The airport is well connected to the public transportation system:
- Metrorail’s Orange Line and Green Line offers visitors easy, affordable access to Miami International Airport and a variety of destinations throughout the region.
- MIA Mover provides a link between the terminals and the car rental facility.
For travelers looking for more distant adventures, the Tri-Rail provides service to Miami-Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties.
- Metro Bus offers 6 local bus lines connecting the airport and the region.
SuperShuttle provides shuttle bus transportation to a variety of destinations in the Miami Region. As of this update, rates start at $11.00 for a one-way ticket.
Taxis are available on the arrival (ground) level of the airport outside the baggage claim areas.
Last updated: 2020-06-16
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.