Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Minneapolis-St.Paul Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Soft seats, cushions and blankets are all upstairs on floor 3 overlooking the check in area.
- John S
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Minneapolis - St Paul International Airport.
What to Expect
- A bustling, modern international airport with two terminals: Terminal 1 (Lindbergh) and Terminal 2 (Humphrey). T1 is HUGE and has seven concourses (Concourses A, B, C, D, E, F and G). T2 is the smaller of the two terminals, with just one concourse (Concourse H). The two terminals are in separate locations, connected by free light rail service.
- Due to the large size of T1, gates are very spread out. Have some walking shoes handy!
- Shop until you drop! There’s a mall inside of the airport (T1), and if that’s not enough, Mall of America is located a few blocks away.
- Delays and cancellations occur due to inclement weather (lots of snow here!), especially during winter.
- Concourse G offers comfortable booth seating with complimentary iPads for use. An airport bistro delivers food to your booth upon request!
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- MSP provides sleeping mats and travel blankets to passengers stranded in the airport due to snow storms.
- Due to its comparative size, T2 has less foot traffic than T1, providing for a more peaceful and relaxing overnight experience.
- After leaving baggage claim (T1), look for the escalators going up. There is a semi-private, carpeted area behind them.
- You may find peace and quiet in the observation deck, Concourse D (T1)
- The Mezzanine (3rd level in T1) overlooking the ticketing counters, offers two separate “quiet areas”, with comfy armrest-free seats and power outlets nearby.
- Concourse E (T1) has a few armrest-free benches throughout, and two auto-pay massage chairs located near Gates E1 and E2.
- Some reviewers mentioned the bright airport lights and light background noise. Have a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy, to ensure a good night’s rest.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Minneapolis Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Minneapolis airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Airside, F/G Concourse, the entrance is located at the beginning of the F concourse. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Airside, Concourse C, next to Gate C12. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- Escape Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, north end of the Airport Mall on the Mezzanine Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 45) • Book Online (£22.00).
- United Club - Location: Terminal 1 Lindbergh, Airside, Concourse E, between Gates E6 and E8. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • United Club Membership.
USO Lounge - The USO has a lounge to members of the military and their families. Amenities: video games, TV lounge, snacks, showers, computers and a library. Location: Arrivals Level, across the roadway between Terminals 1 and 2. Hours: open 24 hours
Free WiFi is available at the airport for 45 minutes. Connect to the "MSP-WiFi" or “Boingo Hotspot” networks. For faster, uninterrupted, commercial-free access, a premium service is available for $2.95 per 24-hour period.
Pro-Tip: Once your free session is over, you can start it again for free after watching another commercial. You can repeat this as many times as you want.
If sleeping in Minneapolis Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Minneapolis St Paul Airport Mall of America - (8 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and Mall of America. For airport pick-up, call the hotel at 952-854-2100 from Terminal 1.
- Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport South - (8 min from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle service available. Shuttle also goes to Mall of America.
- Embassy Suites Minneapolis Airport - (8 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service also goes to Mall of America.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Minneapolis Airport-Mall Area - (11 min from the airport) Free 24-hour shuttle to the airport and Mall of America.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Minneapolis Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price. We also have a list of hotels that offer airport shuttles in the Airport Transportation section below.
- Armed Forces Service Center (AFSC) - Offers accommodations for active-duty military, reservists, National Guardsmen and other uniformed service men and their families. Location: Mezzanine Level, landside, Ticketing Lobby above Door 1 Hours: 24 hours.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located throughout the landside and airside areas of the Lindbergh Terminal (T1). Additional US Bank ATMs are available in the Humphrey Terminal (T2) on Level 1 (between Doors 3 and 4), on the Level 2 Light Rail Transit skyway and airside on Level 2 (opposite Gate H6). Euros, pesos and pounds are dispensed from Travelex foreign currency ATMs, located airside in Concourse C (Gate C16) and near the entrance to Concourse G.
- Baby Care Facilities - The airport’s Lactation Centers offer a private, secure and sanitary environment for nursing mothers. Two locations: Lindbergh (T1), airside, near Gate C13 and Gate F2. To access the Concourse C location, visit the Information Booth at C12. To access the Concourse F location, visit the Information Booth in the Airport Mall, at the entrance to Concourse F. In addition to the Lactation Centers, a semi-private nursing room is located near the entrance to Concourse E, and a private nursing room is located just above the Concourse C Lactation Center. At the time of this update, additional locations are being added, including one at the Humphrey (T2) terminal.
- Banking - A full-service US Bank branch and ATM is available in the airport. Location: Lindbergh (T1), landside, Ticketing Lobby (between Doors 5 and 6). Hours: 8:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon-Fri). Closed Saturday and Sunday.
- Business CentersThese self-service centers offer free use of semi-private workstations, equipped with telephones and data ports. FedEx and ATMs are available in most of the centers. Locations: Lindbergh (T1), airside, Concourses A, B, C and D • Humphrey (T2), airside, opposite Gate H3. Hours: 24 hours.
- Children's Play Areas - Locations: Lindbergh (T1), airside, Concourse C • Humphrey (T2), airside, Level 2.
- Cots - In the event of flight cancellations, the airport has a limited supply of sleeping mats for overnight use when local hotels are full or near capacity. These mats are distributed at an airline’s request at the following locations: Mezzanine, landside, overlooking the Ticketing Lobby above Door 4 • Airport Mall, airside, near Checkpoint 3 • Concourse C • near Gates G1-G6.
Tricia on our Facebook tells us "They will provide sleeping mats for canceled flights. 4 or 5 times my daughter and I have slept in the kids playground control tower. It also has nice padded benches. You do have to listen to the Bob the Builder ride all night, "Can We Do It? Yes We Can!!!""
- Currency Exchange - Travelex offers currency exchange and other services landside in the Lindbergh (T1) Ticketing Lobby, between Doors 5 and 6. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM .
- Duty Free & Shopping - World Passage Duty Free is located in the Lindbergh Terminal, just off the Airport Mall, near security checkpoint 7. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:30PM.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: McDonald’s (Lindbergh (T1), Concourse D) .
- Games Rooms - Location: Terminal 2, Concourse H • Terminal 1, Concourses C, G and F.
- Information Desk - Location: Lindbergh T1, Level T. Hours: 6:00AM - 12:00AM. In addition to the Information Desk, black “Airport Assistance” phones are located throughout the airport for anyone seeking information. Look for the blue light on the wall. Manned by live operators, these phones are in service from 8:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers -Available airside in the Lindbergh Terminal (T1), SmarteCarte storage lockers can accommodate carry-on-sized luggage. All lockers are equipped with fingerprint technology to ensure that only those who store the bags can retrieve them. Locations: Lindbergh (T1), airside, near Gates C2 and C13 and near the entrance to Concourse F. Rate: $4 for first four hours or $8 per day. Maximum storage time is 48 hours.
- Mall of America (off-site): Go shopping, catch a movie, visit the aquarium or take the kids to Nickelodeon Theme Park. To get there, take the Light Rail Transit (LRT) three stops to Mall of America (12 minutes).
- Massage Chairs - Location: Near Gates C1, C6, C12, C15, C21, E1, and F3 Rate: $1 for 3 minutes, or $5 for 15 minutes
- Mobile Charging - Power outlets and seating areas with built-in power outlets are available throughout the airport, the Airport Mall food court, the food courts in Concourses A, C, E and F, and the entire G concourse. Delta and Southwest Airlines provide power seating in all of their gated areas. You can also charge your devices for free at any Samsung Power Pole charging station, located in the following areas:
- Lindbergh (T1): A2, B4, C1, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C12, C13/14, D3, D5, E2, E9, E8, F1, F8, F13
- Humphrey (T2): H3, H4, H8, H10
- Power Seating - The food courts in Terminal 1 have large counter with power outlets.
- Rest Zone - A quiet seating area is available in the Lindbergh Terminal (T1). Location: airside, Mezzanine Level overlooking the Airport Mall. Take the stairs or elevator at the entrances for Concourses E or F, and go up one level. The quiet seating area is on your right.
- Salon and Spa - XpresSpa Region Salon offers a full range of spa services including massage therapy, reflexogoly, facials, waxing, mani pedis, and hair styling. Locations: entrance to Concourse D • Concourse F, near Gate 6 (Hours: 4:30AM - 10:00PM) • MSP Airport Mall (Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM).
- Showers - Available in the XpresSpa. Location: Entrance to Concourse D. Hours: 6:00AM - 9:00PM. Rate: $40 for 30 minutes.
- Travelers Assistance Program - Staffed by volunteers from a non-profit organization, this program offers valuable information, a comfortable waiting area and assistance for people with special needs, emergency infant supplies and much more. Information booths are located throughout the Lindbergh Terminal, but the central office is located near the entrance to Concourse D. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (varies on holidays).
- Video Arcade - Locations: Concourse C, near Gate 1 • Concourse F, near Gate 7 • Concourse G, near Gate 7 • Terminal 2. Hours: open 24 hours
- Walking Path - Walk the official MSP Start! Walking Path, a 1.4-mile walking path in the Lindbergh Terminal. See the brochure here (there is a free Subway sandwich coupon)
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. The TSA security screening checkpoint hours vary according to terminal:
- Terminal 1 (Lindbergh): The South security checkpoint is open 24 hours. The other checkpoints open at approx. 4:00AM and close after the last flight.
- Terminal 2 (Humphrey): unknown
The Amtrak Station is located in St. Paul and is easy to access using either Light Rail Transportation or the Metro Transit city bus.
The Light Rail station is located underground where trains run every 10-15 minutes, just follow the signs. Be advised that you may need to take a tram from your terminal. Once below, take the Rail 55 “towards Downtown/Minneapolis” to bus Route 16 to the Amtrak station/Union Depot.
Alternatively, use Metro Transit city bus service, which departs from the Terminal 1 Transit Center, Level 1 of the Blue and Red parking ramps. The bus departs from the airport every 15 minutes and stops right at Union Depot for Amtrak. Approximate travel time is 30 minutes, depending on stops.
Transportation via taxi will take approximately 10-15 minutes.
Metro Transit Bus #54 stops at T1/Lindbergh Transit Center, outside on Level 1 of the Blue and Red parking ramps. There is no bus service from T2/Humphrey, so you must go to T1 to catch the bus. For schedules and more information, visit the Metro Transit website.
Eight car rental agencies provide on-site rental service at the airport: Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty.
All on-site rental agencies have reception counters at both terminals. The counters at T1/Lindbergh are located on the 2nd and 3rd levels between the Blue and Red parking ramps. The counters at T2/Humphrey are located in the Ground Transportation Center on the ground floor of the Purple parking ramp, directly across from the terminal.
Many hotels in the Minneapolis area offer airport shuttle service for their guests. Hotel Shuttles pick-up from the Ground Transportation Atrium in Terminal 1. Here are some of the hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Dakota Ridge • Comfort Inn Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis Bloomington • Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport • Hampton Inn Minneapolis / Eagan • Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis - St. Paul Airport • Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America • Holiday Inn Express & Suites Minneapolis Airport-Mall Area • Holiday Inn Bloomington - Airport South • Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South • La Quinta Inn Minneapolis Airport Bloomington • Quality Inn & Suites Mall of America/MSP Airport • Radisson Blu Mall of America • SpringHill Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport • Super 8 Bloomington/Airport.
Passengers can travel on the LRT for free just between the two airport terminals. The LRT is fully wheelchair accessible, but special needs passengers, mobility-impaired passengers, elderly passengers and passengers travelling with small children and luggage may find it easier to take the special needs minivan shuttles. The minivan has a wheelchair lift. This free service is provided by SuperShuttle every 20 minutes from 6:00AM - 10:00PM. The T1 shuttle stop is at the Ground Transport Center, one level up from Level T in the “Shuttles” area. The T2 shuttle shop is at the ground level of the Purple parking ramp.
Light Rail Transit
LRT trains provide 24-hr service from both airport terminals to destinations in the Minneapolis metropolitan area. The north end of the route, located in the Warehouse District of downtown Minneapolis, can be reached by train in 25 minutes. The south end of the route, located at Mall of America, can be reached in 12 minutes. Trains run every 10 minutes during peak times, and every 10 - 15 minutes throughout the rest of the day. Adult fare is $2.25 during rush hour ($1.75 otherwise). Discounted fares are available for seniors, persons with disabilities, and children. Children under 3 years ride free. Tickets can be purchased from automated ticket machines at the rail stations. Passengers can travel on the LRT between both terminals for free. LRT trains are wheelchair accessible. The T1/Lindbergh rail station is located at the lowest level of the Transit Center. The T2/Humphrey rail station is next to the Orange parking ramp.
T1/Lindbergh has a Taxi Starter Booth, one level up from Level T (Tram Level).
T2/Humphrey has a taxi area across from the terminal at the Ground Transport Center, on the ground level of the Purple parking ramp. Mobility-impaired passengers can use the taxi service courtesy phones to request an accessible taxi. The phones are located in T1/Lindbergh baggage claim, near carousels 6 and 10. The following companies provides accessible service: Airport Taxi, Care Cabs and SuperShuttle.
Van and Shuttle Services
SuperShuttle provides a shared-ride service from Terminals 1 and 2. Advanced reservations are recommended. In T1/Lindbergh, tickets can be purchased in the Ground Transportation Atrium. The shuttle stops are at the Green and Gold parking ramps across from the Terminal. From T2/Humphrey, go to the Ground Transport Center on Level 1 of the Purple parking ramp to call for pick up.
Scheduled bus, van and limousine service is available from the airport. Tickets can be purchased in T1/Lindbergh at the Ground Transportation Atrium. Advanced reservations are highly recommended. Contact any of the following companies for more information: Chippewa Valley Airport Service, Executive Express, GO Carefree Shuttle, GO Rochester Direct, Jefferson Greyhound, Land to Air Express, Lakes Express, NWT Express Shuttle, Rochester Shuttle Service and Skyline Shuttle.
Last Updated: 17 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.