Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Minneapolis Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Soft seats, cushions and blankets are all upstairs on floor 3 overlooking the check in area. – John S
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
What to Expect
Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport is a busy, modern airport with two terminals: Terminal 1 (Lindbergh) and Terminal 2 (Humphrey). Terminal 1 is the primary terminal, with seven concourses (A, B, C, D, E, F and G) serving most airlines. Terminal 2 has only one concourse (H). The terminals are connected by a free landside light rail service that continues on to the Mall of America and downtown Minneapolis. There is also a tram that moves within areas of Terminal 1.
Given the difference in size between the terminals, it should come as no surprise that T1 has a greater number of services and amenities. Here, you’ll find the Airport Mall, with a handful of 24-hour restaurants. T2 has a more limited selection, but is, as a result, quieter and easier to navigate. The airport offers free WiFi and plenty of charging points to keep you connected and entertained while you wait. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Minneapolis Airport
Both terminals at Minneapolis-St. Paul are friendly to airport sleepers. T1 is busier, and thus noisier. However, it does have two designated quiet areas airside, complete with armrest-free benches and power outlets. There are also lower traffic areas in T1 near the observation deck, Concourse D, Concourse E, Gates A13/14, and behind the escalators in baggage claim. T2 has much less passenger traffic, making it easier to find a peaceful and relaxing overnight spot.
No matter where you decide to sleep at MSP, be sure to bring a sleep mask and earplugs or noise cancelling headphones with you. The airport can be loud and bright at all hours, making these items essential to a good rest. Explore our guide to sleeping in Minneapolis Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport, connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
MSP Airport sees its fair share of winter snow storms, meaning delays and cancellations are common between November and March. The airport provides a limited supply of sleeping mats and travel blankets to stranded passengers, at an airline’s request. Inquire with your airline if you find yourself in this predicament.
Coronavirus update: You can read the airport’s COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update here.
Coronavirus update: You can read the airport’s COVID-19 (Coronavirus) update here.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Escape Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, north end of the Airport Mall on the Mezzanine Level. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
PGA MSP Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
United Club – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Concourse E, between Gates E6 and E8. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of United Airlines ticket • United Club Membership.
Airline Lounges (members only)
Delta Sky Club – Multiple Locations – (1) Concourse C and (1) Concourse F.
Armed Forces Service Center (AFSC) – The AFSC offers current members of the military — active-duty, National Guard, Reservists, their dependents, retirees, DOD employees — a nice lounge with a TV, access to a military DSN phone line, CAC reader, cell phone, free Wi-Fi, iPads, fax/printer /copier machine, bathroom and toiletries. It also has complementary snacks, beverages, etc. The men’s bunk room sleeps 20, and the women’s bunk sleeps 6. Location: Landside, Mezzanine Level, Ticket area, above Door 1. Hours: open 24 hours.
If sleeping in Minneapolis Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel at the airport and several more nearby hotels:
At the Airport Intercontinental Minneapolis Airport – located on airport property. If you only have carry-on luggage, you can access the hotel from Terminal 1-Lindbergh via the skyway link on Concourse C near Gate C25. If you are picking up bags at the baggage claim, proceed to the ground transportation center where you can take the free hotel/airport shuttle. The shuttle operates every 20 minutes. If you are arriving in Terminal 2, you should call the hotel for arrival instructions. The hotel offers a full gym (showers), sauna and thermal swimming pool which can be enjoyed by non-guests with the purchase of an access pass.
More hotels near Minneapolis Airport
Hilton Minneapolis St Paul Airport Mall of America – (8 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and Mall of America. For airport pick-up, call the hotel using the courtesy phone from Terminal 1.
Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport South – (8 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. Shuttle also goes to Mall of America.
Embassy Suites Minneapolis Airport – (8 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service also goes to Mall of America.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Minneapolis Airport-Mall Area – (11 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle to the airport and Mall of America is available from 4:00AM – 12:00AM.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Minneapolis Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at the airport for 2 hours. Connect to the “MSP-WiFi” or “Boingo Hotspot” networks. At the time of this update, free WiFi is only available Airside. If you have accessed the free WiFi while Landside, click here to update this airport guide.
Pro-Tip: Once your free session is over, you can start it again for free after watching another commercial. You can repeat this as many times as you want.
- Business Centers – These self-service centers offer free use of semi-private workstations, equipped with telephones and data ports. FedEx and ATMs are available in most of the centers. Locations: Lindbergh (T1), airside, Concourses A, B, C and D • Humphrey (T2), airside, opposite Gate H3. Hours: 24 hours.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailboxes. Locations: US Postal Drop boxes are available in both terminals. Stamps can be purchased at any US Bank ATM/Cash Machine.
- Baby Care Facilities – Feed and care for your baby in privacy and comfort in the airport’s Lactation Centers and Nursing Mothers Rooms. Lactation Centers have changing table, deep sinks for bathing baby, power outlets, and soft lights and seating to create a relaxing environment for mother and baby. Locations: T1, airside, Gate F2 (request access at the Information Booth near the entrance to Concourse F) • T1, airside, Gate C13 (request access at the Information Booth opposite Gate C12) • T2, airside, between Gates H10 – H11. A semi-private Nursing Mothers Room offers changing table, sink, mirrors, couch, and rocking chair. You can find it at the entrance to Concourse E. A second Nursing Mothers Room (no sink included) is located above the Lactation Center in T1, Concourse C.
- Children’s Play Areas – Aviation-themed play areas (mock airplanes, air traffic control towers with slides) also offer adult seating areas, some with electrical outlets close by. Locations: T1, Airside, Concourse C, near Gate C12 • T1, Landside, Baggage Claim, near Door 6 • T2, Airside, Concourse H, across from Gate H6. Power outlets and adult seating are available at each location.
- Walking Path – When your idea of airport exercise doesn’t include tight connections and frantic running to the next gate, enjoy your time at the airport with a more leisurely stroll or power walk along a designated walking path. Walk the official MSP Start Walking Path, a 1.4-mile walking path in the Lindbergh Terminal.
Gym – The Intercontinental Hotel (at Terminal 1) offers a fully equipped fitness center, luxury spa area and thermal swimming pool. Non-guests of the hotel may purchase an access pass. Rates: unknown.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drink – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Camden Food Co. (T1, Concourse F) • McDonald’s (T1, Concourse D).
- Water Filling Stations – There are multiple water filling stations throughout the airport both Landside and Airside.
- Markets – The Cibo Food Hall/Express locations may be a good option for a healthy grab & go snack. Locations: T1, Concourse G, near Gates 1-6, 4, 8, 12, 15, 18 and 22. Hours: 5:00AM – 9:00PM. The Farmers Market (Landside) also offers grab & go snacks. T1, Baggage Claim area. Hours: 9:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Information Desk – Location: Lindbergh T1, Level T. Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM. In addition to the Information Desk, black “Airport Assistance” phones are located throughout the airport for anyone seeking information. Look for the blue light on the wall. Manned by live operators, these phones are in service from 8:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Luggage Storage – Available airside in the Lindbergh Terminal (T1), SmarteCarte storage lockers can accommodate carry-on-sized luggage. All lockers are equipped with fingerprint technology to ensure that only those who store the bags can retrieve them. Locations: Lindbergh (T1), airside, near Gates C2 and C13 and near the entrance to Concourse F. Rate: $4 for first four hours and $1 per each additional hour to a maximum of $12 per day. Maximum storage time is 48 hours, lockers are emptied after this point.
- Chiropractic Services – Pulled your back out dragging your luggage around? Chiroport offers chiropractic services on the go. Locations: Terminal 1, Concourse C • Terminal 1, Concourse F, halfway down on the left • Terminal 1, Concourse G, near Gate Gate 6. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – Samsung Power Pole charging stations offer free mobile device charging. They are available in the these areas:
- Lindbergh (T1): A2, B4, C1, C3, C5, C6, C8, C9, C12, C13/14, D3, D5, E2, E9, E8, F1, F8, F13
- Humphrey (T2): H3, H4, H8, H10
- In addition, Power Seating offers wide, flat surface space, easily-accessible power outlets, and seating, ideal for travellers who need to get a little work done while charging their laptops or phones. You can find power seating near food outlets at the main mall and Concourses A, C, E, and F, and in the entire G Concourse. In T2, power seating is available in Southwest Airlines gated areas and at the Service Center opposite Gate H3.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Machines are operated by US Bank and Wings Financial Credit Union and Travelex. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside in both terminals.
- Banking Services – Wings Financial Credit Union offers full-service banking and an ATM. Location: T1, landside, Ticketing Level, between Doors 5 and 6. Hours: 8:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon-Fri).
- Currency Exchange – Travelex has kiosks in these locations:
- Terminal 1 – T1, landside, Ticketing Lobby, between Doors 5 & 6 • T1, airside, entrances to Concourse C (Gate C1) and Concourse G (Gate G1). Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM
- Terminal 2 – T2, Landside, Ticketing Lobby between Doors 3 & 4. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Pet Hotel – Furbabies rejoice! Your cat or dog can enjoy a vacation of its own at Now Boarding. Overnight boarding, grooming, and daycare are some of services offered. Location: Near the airport, off of Highway 62 and 28th Ave S. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Pet Relief Area – Locations:T1, landside, Baggage Claim Level, outside of Door 1 and follow the signs to your left • T1, airside, near the entrance to Concourse E in the MSP Airport Mall • T1, airside, on the C/G Connector Bridge • T2, landside, Baggage Claim Level, outside and to the right of Door 8.
Rest & Relaxation
- Cots – In the event of flight cancellations, the airport has a limited supply of sleeping mats for overnight use when local hotels are full or near capacity. These mats are distributed at an airline’s request at the following locations:
- Terminal 1: Landside, Mezzanine, overlooking the Ticketing Lobby above Door 4 • Airside, Airport Mall • Airside, Concourse C • Airside, near Gates G1-G6
- Terminal 2: Contact your airline to request locations
Tricia on our Facebook tells us “They will provide sleeping mats for canceled flights. 4 or 5 times my daughter and I have slept in the kids playground control tower. It also has nice padded benches. You do have to listen to the Bob the Builder ride all night, “Can We Do It? Yes We Can!!!””
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Location: Near Gates C1, C6, C12, C15, C21, E1, and F3 Rate: $1 for 3 minutes, or $5 for 15 minutes
- Rest Zones – Two quiet seating areas are available in the Lindbergh Terminal (T1). Location: airside, Mezzanine Level overlooking the Airport Mall. Take the stairs or elevator at the entrances for Concourses E or F, and go up one level.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping -MSP Duty Free has three locations: T1, Concourse D entrance (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM) • T1,MSP Airport Mall, near south checkpoint (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM) • T2, Concourse H (Hours: 5:00AM – 8:00PM). In addition, a wide variety of retail stores area available throughout the airport.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Available in the XpresSpa. Location: Entrance to Concourse D. Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM. Rate: $40 for 30 minutes.
- Spa & Salon Services – Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and more are available at:
- XpresSpa. Hair services available at the Concourse F location only. Location: T1, airside, entrance to Concourse D (Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM) • T1, airside, Concourse F, Gate 6 (Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM).
- Elevations Spa at The Intercontinental Hotel (at Terminal 1) offers both shower and spa facilities. A fully equipped fitness center, luxury spa area and thermal swimming pool can be enjoyed by Non-guests of the hotel with the purchase an access pass. Rates: unknown.
Things to do & see
- Mall of America (off-site): Go shopping, catch a movie, visit the aquarium or take the kids to Nickelodeon Theme Park. To get there, take the Light Rail Transit (LRT) three stops to Mall of America (12 minutes).
- Video Arcade /Games Room – Locations: Concourse C, near Gate 1 • Concourse F, near Gate 7 • Concourse G, near Gate 7 • Terminal 2. Hours: open 24 hours
Other Airport Services
- Shoe Shine – Available airside in Concourse C, E, G, and at the Airport Mall.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according to the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. The TSA security screening checkpoint hours vary according to terminal:
- Terminal 1 (Lindbergh): The South security checkpoint is open 24 hours. The other checkpoints open at approx. 4:00AM and close after the last flight.
- Terminal 2 (Humphrey): unknown
As of June 2019, Minneapolis airport is served by the following airlines: Aer Lingus • Air Canada • Air Choice One • Air France • Alaska Airlines • American Airlines • Boutique Air • Condor • Delta • Frontier Airlines • Icelandair • JetBlue • KLM • Southwest Airlines • Spirit Airlines • Sun Country • United Airlines.
The Amtrak Station is located in St. Paul and is easy to access using the Light Rail Transportation, the Metro Transit city bus or via taxi. Expect the trip to take between 10 and 30 minutes depending on the mode of transportation you choose.
Metro Transit Bus #54 stops at T1/Lindbergh Transit Center, outside on Level 1 of the Blue and Red parking ramps. There is no bus service from T2/Humphrey, so you must go to T1 to catch the bus. For schedules and more information, visit the Metro Transit website.
Eight car rental agencies provide on-site rental service at the airport: Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Thrifty. Off-site you will find Payless and Sixt.
Many hotels in the Minneapolis area offer airport shuttle service for their guests. Hotel Shuttles pick-up from the Ground Transportation Atrium in Terminal 1. Here are some of the hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Dakota Ridge • Comfort Inn Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis Bloomington • Fairfield Inn & Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport • Hampton Inn Minneapolis / Eagan • Hampton Inn & Suites Minneapolis – St. Paul Airport • Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America • Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America • Holiday Inn Bloomington – Airport South • Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport – South • La Quinta Inn Minneapolis Airport Bloomington • Quality Inn & Suites Mall of America/MSP Airport • Radisson Blu Mall of America • SpringHill Suites Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport • Super 8 Bloomington/Airport.
Passengers can travel on the LRT for free just between the two airport terminals. The LRT is fully wheelchair accessible, but special needs passengers, mobility-impaired passengers, elderly passengers and passengers travelling with small children and luggage may find it easier to take the special needs minivan shuttles. The minivan has a wheelchair lift.
Light Rail Transit
Light rail transit (LRT) trains stop at both Terminal 1-Lindbergh and Terminal 2-Humphrey and connect travelers to 17 other destinations, including downtown Minneapolis to the north and Mall of America to the south.Trains run every 10 minutes during peak times, and every 10 – 15 minutes throughout the rest of the day. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Minneapolis Airport website.
Taxi services are available from both terminals. At the time of this update, taxi fare to downtown Minneapolis is $39-$49 and to St. Paul expect to pay $31-$38.
Van and Shuttle Services
SuperShuttle provides a shared-ride service from Terminals 1 and 2. Advanced reservations are recommended. More scheduled bus, van and limousine service is available from the airport.
Last updated: 2020-03-05
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.