Newark Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Newark Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The seats aren't that comfortable, but a staff member came around handing out blankets and pillows to anyone who wanted them. -a traveller
After a late international arrival I spent the night before a connection in EWR. I was concerned that after clearing customs I would not be able to get back in to the secured area (airside). Fortunately, the security checkpoint C-1 is open 24/7 and did not balk that my flight was 6 hours later (and in a different terminal!).
I slept in the center C concourse where it was relatively quiet. No overhead announcements came on until about 4am. There were TVs playing CNN but only sporadically. The moving walkways continued running and were somewhat squeaky. The cleaning staff was quiet. It wasn't terribly cold but at 1am a janitor offered me a blanket, which I welcomed.
In this concourse there was no food or stores open, just bathrooms and water fountains. All the seats had arm rests so after a while I slept on the floor. It was clean enough and safe, no one bothered me the whole night. There were about a dozen other people in the concourse, plus staff. In a pinch, I would do it again.
Have you been to Newark Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Newark airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gates 30 - 39. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Art & Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Landside, Gate Level, between B2 & B3 or Gates 50 & 60. Lounge Access: Book Online (£24.00) • Priority Pass.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Terminal B, Airside, between the Main & Satellite Buildings. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Terminal A2, airside, near Gate 20. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Terminal C1, Airside, across from Gate 74. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Terminal C2/3, Airside, between Concourses C2 and C3, near Gates 102 and 120. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
Other airline lounges:
- Porter Airlines - Location: Terminal B, airside
- Virgin Atlantic - Location: Terminal B, landside
WiFi is available at LaGuardia Airport for a fee. Connect to the Boingo network. Rate: $4.95/hour or $7.95 per day
If sleeping in Newark Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport with a free airport shuttle:
- Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott - Located on airport grounds. Free airport shuttle service to all terminals. For airport pick-up, call 1-973-623-0006 or use the courtesy phone in baggage claim.
- Wyndham Garden Newark Airport - (2 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service runs every 30 minutes.
- Best Western Plus Newark Airport West - (3 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Hilton Newark Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service. From the airport baggage claim, take the Airtrain monorail to Station P4, where you can take the hotel’s shuttle bus to the hotel.
- Holiday Inn Newark Airport - (3 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Newark Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
The Hotel shuttles pick-up passengers from Station P4 unless you are advised otherwise.
If you have been stranded at Newark airport due to a storm, airport officials will bring out cots and blankets for stranded passengers at night. If you are trying to decide whether to book a room or stay the night, ask someone in a red coat when the cots will be coming out. Speaking from my experience at Terminal B, I can confirm that both airside and landside seating have armrests and the terminal is cold with a few warm pockets here and there. This is a miserable terminal with nothing to do or entertain yourself.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available airside and landside.
- Baby Care - Nursing rooms can be found in these locations: Terminal B, Airside, B2 Concourse, Near Gates 50-57 • Terminal B, Airside, B3 Concourse, Near Gates 60-68.
- Chapel - Location: Landside, Terminal C, between between gates C70-99 and C101-115
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has foreign exchange counters at Terminals A (airside near TGIF), B (landside and airside) and C (airside).
- Entertainment - InMotion Entertainment offers DVD rentals. Location: Terminal B, Gates 60-68 • Terminal C, Gates 70-99.
- Food & Drinks - There are many dining options landside and airside. Subway (located in Terminal B, landside) is open 24 hours. Eat before you go through to security. Food airside is very expensive. I paid $10 for a water and ham sandwich. Yikes!
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mobile Charging - Located both Landside and Airside in all Terminals.
- Showers - not available
- Spa - d_parture Spa. Locations Terminal C, Gates C70-99 and C101-115. Hours: unknown.
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as landing at the wrong airport, transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Locations: Terminal A, 2nd Floor, Welcome Center, next to exit gate # 4 • Terminal B, 2nd Floor, International Arrivals, near exit door # 8 • Terminal B, 1st Floor, Welcome Center, near exit door # 5 • Terminal C, 1st Floor, Welcome Center, near exit door # 6. Hours: 11:00AM - 9:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Operating 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, AirTrain provides connections to NJ Transit and the rail lines that run on the Northeast Corridor and North Jersey Coast Line, as well as to and from Manhattan and points north, or Philadelphia and points south.
Tickets for AirTrain from NJ Transit or Amtrak can be purchased at their train stations, ticket offices or ticketing machines and the AirTrain Newark fee will be included - one ticket does it all. AirTrain is free for on-airport travel.
AirTrain arrives and departs every three minutes from 5am to midnight and about every 15 minutes between midnight and 5am. On Sundays, the train arrives and departs about every 15 minutes from midnight to 7am.
Nighttime operation is a shuttle service which requires transfer of trains. Shuttles generally run from the Airport Station to Terminal C, Terminal C to Terminal A, and Terminal A to Station P2.
Passengers are required to use the AirTrain Newark system to connect to a NJ TRANSIT or Amtrak train. There is a $5.50 ticket fee. Connections from New York City, Westchester, Upstate New York, Long Island, and Connecticut are often possible through the Newark Liberty Airport Express
Public Bus Service: Bus service is available on NJ Transit Bus Lines 28, 37, 62, 67, 107.
Express Bus Service: Newark Airport Express offers a service between Newark Liberty International Airport and New York City. Buses are $16 one way or $28 round trip and arrive at each stop every 15 minutes during the day, 365 days a year (departures every 30 minutes before 6.45am and after 11.15pm).
On the trip to Newark Liberty Airport, customers may board a Newark Airport Express Coach at three nearby midtown Manhattan locations: Grand Central Station (41st Street between Park and Lexington avenues); Bryant Park (42nd Street and 5th Avenue) and Port Authority Bus Terminal (41st Street between 8th and 9th avenues).
At Newark Liberty Airport coaches may be boarded at: Terminal A (Located on Level 1, outside at bus stop 5); Terminal B (Located on Level 1, outside at bus stop 2) and Terminal C (Located on Level 1, outside at bus stop 5 & 6)
During weekday rush hours - 6am-9am and 4pm-7pm and on Saturday and Sunday from 12pm-8pm - there is an additional $5 surcharge to all points in the State of New York, except Staten Island. For more details: view www.panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service.html
The following car rental companies are available at Newark Airport: Avis (P3) • Budget (P2) • Dollar (P2) • Enterprise (P3) • Hertz (P3) • National (P3). Locations: Take the AIr Train to P2 or P3 stations. You can compare car rental rates on the Auto Europe web site.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Newark Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 09 June 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.