Newark Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Newark Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The seats aren't that comfortable, but a staff member came around handing out blankets and pillows to anyone who wanted them. -a traveller
December 2015 - I had to come the night before due to an early flight. While I was sleeping (lightly I might add) someone snagged my backpack, which contained my laptop, DSLR camera, ID and credit cards. It was in the bag claim area right by the Welcome Center. There are numerous homeless people both inside and outside the airport. Make sure all your stuff is attached to your person and sleep airside if you can. My pack was on the floor right next to me and even with cleaning people and police patrolling, I still lost over $1k worth of my belongings.
Have you been to Newark Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Newark airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gates 30 - 39. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Art & Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Landside, Gate Level, between B2 & B3 or Gates 50 & 60. Hours: 9:00AM - 11:30PM (Sun - Fri) • 1:30PM - 11:30PM (Sat). Lounge Access: Book Online (£24.00) • Priority Pass.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Terminal B, Airside, between the Main & Satellite Buildings. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Terminal A2, airside, near Gate 20. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Terminal C1, Airside, across from Gate 74. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Terminal C2/3, Airside, between Concourses C2 and C3, near Gates 102 and 120. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
Other airline lounges:
- Porter Airlines - Location: Terminal B, airside
- Virgin Atlantic - Location: Terminal B, landside
Free WiFi is available at Newark Airport for 30 minutes. A premium service is also available once your time is up.
If sleeping in Newark Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport with a free airport shuttle:
- Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott - Located on airport grounds. Free airport shuttle service to all terminals. For airport pick-up, call 1-973-623-0006 or use the courtesy phone in baggage claim.
- Wyndham Garden Newark Airport - (2 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service runs every 30 minutes.
- Best Western Plus Newark Airport West - (3 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Hilton Newark Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service. From the airport baggage claim, take the Airtrain monorail to Station P4, where you can take the hotel’s shuttle bus to the hotel.
- Holiday Inn Newark Airport - (3 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
The Hotel shuttles pick-up passengers from Station P4 unless you are advised otherwise.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Newark Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
If you have been stranded at Newark airport due to a storm, airport officials will bring out cots and blankets for stranded passengers at night. If you are trying to decide whether to book a room or stay the night, ask someone in a red coat when the cots will be coming out. Speaking from my experience at Terminal B, I can confirm that both airside and landside seating have armrests and the terminal is cold with a few warm pockets here and there. This is a miserable terminal with nothing to do or entertain yourself.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available airside and landside.
- Baby Care - Nursing rooms can be found in these locations: Terminal B, Airside, B2 Concourse, Near Gates 50-57 • Terminal B, Airside, B3 Concourse, Near Gates 60-68.
- Chapel - Location: Landside, Terminal C, between between gates C70-99 and C101-115
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has foreign exchange counters at Terminals A (airside near TGIF), B (landside and airside) and C (landside & airside).
- Entertainment - InMotion Entertainment offers DVD rentals. Location: Terminal B, Gates 60-68 • Terminal C, Gates 70-99.
- Food & Drinks - There are many dining options landside and airside. Subway (located in Terminal B, landside) is open 24 hours. Eat before you go through to security. Food airside is very expensive. I paid $10 for a water and ham sandwich. Yikes!
- Information Desk - Welcome Centers are located in the Baggage Claim level of every terminal. Hours: unknown
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mobile Charging - Located both Landside and Airside in all Terminals.
- Showers - not available
- Spa - d_parture Spa. Locations Terminal C, Gates C70-99 and C101-115. Hours: unknown.
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as landing at the wrong airport, transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Locations: Terminal A, 2nd Floor, Welcome Center, next to exit gate # 4 • Terminal B, 2nd Floor, International Arrivals, near exit door # 8 • Terminal B, 1st Floor, Welcome Center, near exit door # 5 • Terminal C, 1st Floor, Welcome Center, near exit door # 6. Hours: 11:00AM - 9:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Operating 24 hours a day, AirTrain is an elevated railway system that serves the Newark Airport, connecting the airport complex with New Jersey Transit and major rail lines along the northeast and the coast. This allows for an easy connection between the airport and New York City or Philadelphia and beyond.
Passengers can travel around the airport complex for free on AirTrain, which makes frequent stops between the terminals, central parking lots, hotel shuttles and rental car facilities. No ticket is required for on-airport travel. AirTrain also travels to Newark Liberty International Airport Station, where passengers can connect to NJ Transit and Amtrak. The cost of the five-minute ride between the airport and the Airport Station is $5.50 per person, one-way, included in the price of NJ Transit and Amtrak tickets departing from or arriving into Airport Station.
AirTrain departs every three minutes from 5:00 - 12:00AM, and every 15 minutes from 12:00AM - 5:00AM (until 7:00AM on Sundays). Nighttime service is supplemented by shuttle bus service, which travels between Airport Station, Terminal C, Terminal A and Station P2.
The Amtrak Station is located on airport property and can be connected to directly via the AirTrain system. If you already have an Amtrak ticket, the ride will be free. Otherwise, you will need to purchase a monorail ticket from the agent on site.
Newark Airport is served by NJ Transit Bus Lines 28, 37, 62, 67 and 107. For schedules and fares, go to the NJ Transit website.
Newark Airport Express offers express bus service between the airport and New York City. Departures are every 15 minutes, all year long, and every 30 minutes from 11:15PM - 6:45AM. Tickets are $16 per person, one-way, or $28 per person, roundtrip. Buses can be boarded at the airport on Level 1 in Terminals A (bus stop 5), B (bus stop 2) and C (bus stops 5 and 6) or in New York at Grand Central Station, Bryant Park or Port Authority Bus Terminal.
Trans Bridge Lines offers daily bus service between the airport and Pennsylvania.
Most of the onsite car rental agencies are accessible via AirTrain. Avis, Enterprise, Hertz and National are located at Station P3. Alamo, Budget and Dollar are located at Station P2. Advantage, Payless and Thrifty are also available onsite.
Please note: It is important to ask your rental agency about their policy on paying tolls. Some rental agencies provide an E-ZPass transponder, which automatically bills your account as you breeze through designated lanes in toll areas. This is a convenience which aids in traffic avoidance and eliminates wait times and the need to carry cash for tolls. E-ZPass is accepted at most toll areas throughout New Jersey and surrounding states.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Hotel shuttles depart from P4 station on the AirTrain route. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle: Best Western Plus Newark Airport West • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson • Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport • Crowne Plaza Newark Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport • Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Newark Liberty International Airport • Hilton Newark Airport • Holiday Inn Newark Airport • Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott • Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport • Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel • Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth/Liberty International Airport • Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport.
Northern and Central New Jersey are served by three major airports: Newark Liberty International Airport, JFK International Airport and LaGuardia Airport. Aside from taxis, limousines and hired car services, All County Express and ETS Air Shuttle also provide shared ride service between Newark and JFK or LaGuardia. Contact your service provider of choice for schedules and fares.
Shared Ride and Private Car Service
Several companies provide door-to-door shared ride or exclusive ride service between the airport and destinations in the Newark/New York City metropolitan area. If you don’t have a reservation upon arriving at the airport, you can book services at the Port Authority Welcome Center located in the Arrivals area of all terminals. 24-hour self-service kiosks are also available nearby.
Taxis are available in front of all terminals. Ignore offers of transportation or assistance with baggage from solicitors inside of the terminal as this is illegal and they may be unlicensed and uninsured. To obtain ground transportation information, visit the Port Authority Welcome Center in the arrivals area of each terminal, where uniformed staff will assist you.
Connections to Amtrak or NJ Transit can be made via Newark Liberty International Airport Station, just a ten-minute AirTrain ride from the airport terminals. NJ Transit trains, covering all of New Jersey, plus connections to New York City and Philadelphia, arrive hourly. Amtrak provides hourly service between Airport Station and New York City or Philadelphia. Some trains traveling to New York City continue on to Boston, stopping at major cities in Connecticut along the way. Passengers can take a NJ Transit or Amtrak train to Newark’s Penn Station to connect to the PATH train network, which offers service between metropolitan northern New Jersey and midtown or lower Manhattan.
NJ Transit tickets are sold in vending machines at AirTrain stations and Airport Station, or from ticket counters and vending machines at most NJ Transit Stations. For more information, visit the NJ Transit website. Tickets for Amtrak are sold at Amtrak ticket counters or Quik-Trak vending machines in Airport Station or most other Amtrak stations.
Last Updated: 14 November 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.