Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Newark Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The seats aren’t that comfortable, but a staff member came around handing out blankets and pillows to anyone who wanted them. -a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Newark Airport.
What to Expect
Newark Airport is spread over three large terminals. The free AirTrain Newark connects all terminals, running every 3 minutes during peak times. Once inside your terminal, anticipate lots of walking to reach your gate and other facilities.
Travellers often report on long, slow security lines, so arrive earlier than normal for peace of mind. On the plus side, you’ll find plenty of eating, drinking, and shopping establishments to pass the time and a couple eateries stay open 24-hours. WiFi is free and unlimited. Several airport lounges offer fee-based entry to economy class travellers who want to upgrade their layover. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
As a major transit hub, long layovers are the norm. Overall, the terminals are cold and seating is very limited. Plan to sleep on the floor or prop yourself up on opposite seats. If you’re looking to stay the night, all overnight campers will be relocated to the pre-Secure landside areas until early AM. For daytime resting, travellers like Terminal B’s airside for quieter corners and a few armrest-free benches. We’ve heard from some travellers that the airport has cots, blankets, and pillows for use in cases of severe weather delays. Explore our guide to sleeping in Newark Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, several hotels are located within a 3-minute drive, including a hotel on airport grounds. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
American Airlines Admirals Club – Location: Terminal A, after security, toward gates 30 through 39. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of American Airlines flight • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
United Club – Multiple Locations: (3) Terminal C, Airside, (1), Terminal A, Airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of same day United Airlines ticket • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
Airline Lounges (members only)
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
British Airways Galleries Club Lounge – Location: B2 Satellite, Airside • Lufthansa Senator Lounge – Location: B3 Satellite, Airside (x 2 locations) • SAS Lounge – Location: B3 Satellite, Airside.
If sleeping in Newark Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport with a free airport shuttle:
- Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott – Located on airport grounds. Free airport shuttle service to all terminals. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone in baggage claim. » Check Rates
- Wyndham Garden Newark Airport – (2 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle service runs every 30 minutes. » Check Rates
- Best Western Plus Newark Airport West – (3 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Hilton Newark Airport – (6 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service. From the airport baggage claim, take the Airtrain monorail to Station P4, where you can take the hotel’s shuttle bus to the hotel. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Newark Airport – (3 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
The Hotel shuttles pick-up passengers from Station P4 unless you are advised otherwise.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Newark Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free and unlimited WiFi is available at Newark Airport. Connect to the “_Free EWR WiFi” network.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – If you are travelling with small children these services may be of interest to you:
- Family washrooms – available throughout the airport.
- Nursing rooms – available in these locations:
- Terminal A: Airside – A” near Earl of Sandwich, A1 post-security hall and A3 by Gate 32.
- Terminal B: Airside – B1 at Gate B47 • B2, near Gate 51 • B3 near Gate 66.
- Terminal C: Airside – C1 near Gates C90 • C2 near Gate C104 • C3 near Gate C123.
- Family Washrooms – Family washrooms are available throughout the airport.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – There are many dining options landside and airside. Subway (located in Terminal B, landside) and Dunkin Donuts (located in Terminal C) are open 24 hours.
- Information Desk – Welcome Centers are located in the Baggage Claim level of every terminal. Hours: unknown
- Traveler’s Aid – This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Locations: Terminal A, 2nd Floor, Welcome Center, next to exit gate # 4 • Terminal B, 2nd Floor, International Arrivals, near exit door # 8 • Terminal B, 1st Floor, Welcome Center, near exit door # 5 • Terminal C, 1st Floor, Welcome Center, near exit door # 6. Hours: 11:00AM – 9:00PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – A reader tells us that there was luggage storage in Terminal C, baggage claim, near baggage belt #1. Rate $15.
- Mobile Charging – Located both Landside and Airside in all Terminals.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex kiosks and/or ATMs are available in all Terminals, both landside and airside.
- Pet Relief Area – Take your pet for a potty break in one of these areas: Terminal A – Outside, A courtyard on the west side of the terminal • Indoor pet relief area currently under construction. Terminal B – Outside, B courtyard on the south side of the terminal • Indoors, three locations – South side of FIS Hall, B2 – Gate 57, B3 – Gate 65. A fourth is under construction. Terminal C – Outside, C courtyard on the east side of the terminal • Indoor pet relief area currently under construction.
- Chapel – Location: Landside, Terminal C, between between gates C70-99 and C101-115
Rest & Relaxation
- Cots – If you have been stranded at Newark airport due to a storm, airport officials will bring out cots and blankets for stranded passengers at night. If you are trying to decide whether to book a room or stay the night, ask someone in a red coat when the cots will be coming out.
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There is a quiet room available to relax. Location: Terminal B, Landside, near British Airways ticket counter. Also in Terminal B, you will find Relax & Recharge area. Location: Landside, Level 3, Door 1.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Multiple locations of Duty Free shopping are available in all Terminals. In addition, a good variety of stores selling everything from clothes, to books to convenience items are available.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available at the United Airlines Polaris Lounge (pay at door access). See Airport Lounges above.
- Spa – Departure Spa. Locations Terminal C, Gates C70-99 and C101-115. Hours: unknown.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
As of April 2019, Newark airport is served by the following airlines: Aer Lingus • Air Canada • Air China • Air India • Alaska Airlines • Allegiant Airlines • American Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Avianca • British Airways • Cathay Pacific • Delta • El Al Israel Airlines • Elite Airways • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Eurowings • Icelandair • JetBlue • La Compagnie • Level Airlines • LOT • Lufthansa • Norwegian • Porter • SAS • Singapore Airlines • Southwest Airlines • Spirit Airlines • Sun Country • Swiss • TAP Portugal • United Airlines • Virgin Atlantic.
Go Airlink provides an ride-share airport shuttle between the airport and New York City. Service is available 24-hours per day. Once you arrive at the airport, head over to the ground transportation desk and present the desk agent with your shuttle voucher. The agent will direct you to your scheduled shuttle. Your shuttle driver will know when your flight is scheduled to arrive, so you won’t need to worry about missing your ride if your flight is delayed. For more information, visit the Go Airlink web site.
Operating 24 hours a day, AirTrain is an elevated railway system that serves the Newark Airport, connecting the airport complex with New Jersey Transit and major rail lines along the northeast and the coast. This allows for an easy connection between the airport and New York City or Philadelphia and beyond.
Passengers can travel around the airport complex for free on AirTrain, which makes frequent stops between the terminals, central parking lots, hotel shuttles and rental car facilities. AirTrain also travels to Newark Liberty International Airport Station, where passengers can connect to NJ Transit and Amtrak.
The Amtrak Station is located on airport property and can be connected to directly via the AirTrain system. If you already have an Amtrak ticket, the ride will be free. Otherwise, you will need to purchase a monorail ticket from the agent on site.
Newark Airport is served by NJ Transit Bus Lines GO28, 37, 62, 67 and 107. For schedules and fares, go to the NJ Transit website.
Newark Airport Express offers express bus service between the airport and New York City (3 different drop-off locations). Buses run from 5:00AM – 1:00AM.
Trans Bridge Lines offers daily bus service between the airport and Pennsylvania.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Hotel shuttles depart from P4 station on the AirTrain route. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle: Best Western Plus Newark Airport West • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson • Courtyard Newark Liberty International Airport • Crowne Plaza Newark Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Newark Airport • Embassy Suites by Hilton Newark Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Newark Liberty International Airport • Hilton Newark Airport • Holiday Inn Newark Airport • Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott • Ramada Plaza Newark Liberty International Airport • Renaissance Newark Airport Hotel • Residence Inn Newark Elizabeth/Liberty International Airport • Wyndham Garden Hotel Newark Airport.
Northern and Central New Jersey are served by three major airports: Newark Liberty International Airport, JFK International Airport and LaGuardia Airport. Aside from taxis, limousines and hired car services, All County Express and ETS Air Shuttle also provide shared ride service between Newark and JFK or LaGuardia. Contact your service provider of choice for schedules and fares.
Taxis are available in front of all terminals. Ignore offers of transportation or assistance with baggage from solicitors inside of the terminal as this is illegal and they may be unlicensed and uninsured. To obtain ground transportation information, visit the Port Authority Welcome Center in the arrivals area of each terminal, where uniformed staff will assist you.
Last updated: 2019-04-16
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.