New Orleans Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our New Orleans Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
there was a box of pillows and blankets in the waiting area near the seats.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at New Orleans Louis Armstrong International Airport.
What to Expect
- MSY Airport is s modest airport terminal with ongoing renovations. There are four concourses (A, B, C and D).
- Improved amenities and services can be found in the two newest concourses (Concourses C and D).
- Some reviewers felt that the airport lacked a variety of good dining options, but good facilities overall and plenty of power outlets.
- The airport is described by some travellers as “festive”, with live music, colorful decor and comfortable seating.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WIFi below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Reviewers describe the landside area as very accommodating for sleeping travellers, with comfortable recliners and sofas, soft lighting and a fairly quiet environment at night.
- The airport gets cold at night. Have a blanket or sweater handy to stay warm!
- There are no hotels directly at the airport, but there are nearby hotels that offer airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- After airport shops and restaurants close for the night, vending machines are the only option available.
- Economy class passengers flying on Delta Airlines can pay to use the Delta Sky Club. See Airport Lounges below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our New Orleans Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at New Orleans airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Delta Sky Club - Location: between Gate 2 & 4, Concourse D. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at New Orleans Airport. There are access points in 85% of the terminals' main level. Connect to the "LANOIA_FREE_WIFI" network.
If sleeping in New Orleans Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton New Orleans Airport - (5 minute walk from the airport) Located across the street from the airport entrance. Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available on demand. Shuttle picks up at the Transportation Center, located on the 1st floor across from the baggage claim area. Shuttle drops off curbside on the 2nd floor, Departures Level.
- Days Inn New Orleans Airport - (5 minute walk from the airport) Located across the street from the airport entrance. Free airport shuttle service available.
- La Quinta Inn & Suites New Orleans Airport - (8 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available from 5:00AM to Midnight.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near New Orleans Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located airside and landside.
- Baby Care Facilities - Feed and care for your baby in comfort and privacy in the Mother’s Room. Changing table, comfortable seating, and power outlets are available. A Mother’s Room is located airside in each concourse.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Whitey Bank offers currency exchange, ATM, cash advances, money orders and other financial services. Location: Concourse C checkpoint, Parabola Lobby Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon-Thurs) 9:00AM - 5:30PM (Fri). Closed on weekends and holiday. Currency exchange, travel insurance, Western Union wire transfers and a host of business services are available at Travelex Currency Exchange and Business Center. Location: 7:00AM - 7:00PM (Sun,Wed,Fri) and 5:00AM - 7:00PM (Mon,Tues,Thurs,Sat).
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there were no 24-hour food concessions. Many food concessions begin to open at 5:00AM.
- Information Desk - Location: Concourse C, second level. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Landside, between Baggage Claims 5 and 6. Hours: 24 hour accessibility on request.
- Mobile Charging - Charging stations are available throughout the landside and airside areas of the terminal. You can also rent or purchase a Mobile Qube on-the-go charging devices from one of the Mobile Qube kiosks, located in the Baggage Claim area and on each concourse.
- Pet Relief - A designated pet relief area is located in front of the west side of the Short Term Parking Garage. You can reach it by exiting the terminal through the doors near baggage carousels 12 - 14.
- Post Office - Accepting drop-offs only. Location: The Ticketing Lobby near the Concourse A/B main lobby.
- Police / Security - Location: on the second level in the Concourse C Lobby near Dunkin Donuts.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - There are designated smoking areas on the upper and lower ramps outside the terminal.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
The Airport-Downtown Express (E-2) bus runs a 50-minute route between the airport and downtown New Orleans, via Airline Drive. Buses pick up and drop off passengers at the airport bus stop, located outside of Entrance 7 on the 2nd level. Bus fare is $2 per person, one-way. For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the Jefferson Transit website.
Car rentals are handled in the Consolidated Rental Car Facility, located in a separate building that is just a short walk from Concourses B, C and D. A covered walkway connects the facility to the outside of the West Terminal Baggage Claim (Claims 12 - 14). The following car rental agencies are located onsite: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, Payless and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Comfort Inn New Orleans Airport • Comfort Suites New Orleans Airport • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson • Crowne Plaza Hotel New Orleans Airport • Days Inn New Orleans Airport • Doubletree by Hilton Hotel New Orleans Airport • Fairfield Inn Kenner New Orleans Airport • Hampton Inn Metairie • Hilton Garden Inn New Orleans Airport • Hilton New Orleans Airport • Holiday Inn Metairie New Orleans Airport • La Quinta Inn & Suites New Orleans Airport • Radisson Hotel New Orleans Airport • Red Roof Inn New Orleans Airport • Wyndham Garden Hotel New Orleans Airport
Go Airport Shuttle New Orleans offers door-to-door shared ride shuttle service between the airport and hotels in downtown New Orleans. Reservations are suggested, but not required for non-ADA passengers. At the time of this update, a one-way fare between the airport and the CBD (Central Business District) is $24 per person, one-way or $44 per person, round trip, including three pieces of luggage. Airport Shuttle ticket counters are located in the baggage claim area.
Taxis are available on the lower level, outside of baggage claim, on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, a one-way fare between the airport and the CBD (Central Business District) is from $36 - $45. All taxis accept credit card.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.