In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Portland Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Absolutely wonderful. If I had to live in an airport, this would be the one.
Concourse D. Photo credit: Aboutmovies / Wikimedia
PDX used to be one of the greatest airport to spend a night. I fly out of PDX at least once a year, and until last year, it was exactly as others have described. Free internet, good chairs to sleep, clean airport, etc.
However, lots of things have changed this year.
All the good things to do if you don't want to sleep are still here. Free internet (although I realized that the internet is slower compare to the past), a sandwich shop opened 24 hours, great restaurant to eat dinner (I love Stanford's!) still clean, etc.
But if you want to sleep, then it is bit harder than the past. There is playground for children near security checkpoint for gate D-E, so it is impossible to sleep due to sounds of children (I don't understand why there are children in airport at 1 A.M.... They don't look like travelers).
Even in the couch area near the security checkpoint for gate A-C, they start vacuuming around 12-1 A.M, so I couldn't sleep.
In addition, this chief of police department of Port of Portland (something like that) makes automated announcement every 10 minutes asking to be cooperative, even in 1-4 A.M. This woke me up repetitively when I was trying to sleep.
As a result, I gave up sleeping, and just enjoying free internet (and writing this review). I live in Eugene, OR, and I used prefer taking train to Portland and spend night in PDX, instead of using Eugene airport. But now, I'm reconsidering this habit.
I hope PDX goes back to what it was - one of the greatest airport to sleep in.
Have you been to Portland Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Portland airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Alaska Airlines Board Room- Location: Concourse C, Airside, Gate C5. Hours: 5am - 9pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 45.00) • Priority Pass • Alaska Airlines Board Room Membership.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Concourse D. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Concourse E, across from Gate E1. Hours: 5am - 7pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge to members of the military and their families. Amenities include: WiFi, TV lounge, snacks, and reading materials. Location: Mezzanine Level. Hours: unknown
Free WiFi is available at Portland Airport. Connect to the `flypdx`network.
If sleeping in Portland Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel - Located on airport grounds, with 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Hampton Inn Portland Airport - (2 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Country Inn & Suites by Carlson Portland Airport - (3 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available. Shuttle also makes free hourly trips to Cascade Station Shopping Center.
- Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Portland Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available landside and airside.
- Car Rentals - Avis • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National. Location: in the parking garage.
- Children's Play Area - Locations: near Gate C19 and in the Concourse connector between C and D.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has offices in the Ticketing Lobby (landside) and Concourse D (airside).
- Entertainment - Digiboo. Download your favourite movie to laptop, tablet, etc. Kiosk locations: Near Gates C10, C12, C13 & C15, D4, E2 & E3.
- Food & Drinks - There is a variety of food options located before and after security. However, there is a Northwest Travel Mart located in the Oregon Market that is open 24 hours, selling grab-and-go foods.
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Luggage Services and Logistics provides storage services. Location: north end of the baggage claim, past carousel 10. Hours: 8am - midnight.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
- TriMet MAX Light Rail - Connects downtown Portland, Beaverton, Clackamas, Gresham, Hillsboro and North/Northeast Portland with the Portland International Airport.
Boarding area: The station is located near the baggage claim area on the lower level
Hours: 4:58am - 11:49pm (Mon - Fri) and 5:04 am - 11:49 (Sat - Sun)
Duration: 38 min to downtown Portland
Fare: $ 2.50 per ride or $5.00 for an all day pass.
- Taxis, shuttle buses and the usual means of transportation are also available.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Portland Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 09 June 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.