Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Portland Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Absolutely wonderful. If I had to live in an airport, this would be the one. – Anton
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Portland International Airport.
What to Expect
Portland Airport (Code: PDX) consists of a single terminal with Concourses A, B, and C on one side and Concourses D and E on the opposite side. You’ll do some walking, but luckily you can cross from one concourse side to the other without exiting and re-entering Security.
Travellers love this airport for its efficient size, and the bevvy of local dining and shopping outlets give a real Portland feel even if you never leave the airport. Oregon is a tax-free state, and the airport makes sure that airport prices aren’t higher than prices outside the airport, which travellers appreciate! Take advantage of the free WiFi and numerous power outlets. Economy class travellers seeking more creature comforts can pay to enter two airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Portland Airport
Getting some sleep at Portland Airport is surprisingly pleasant. Airside, you can stretch out on a number of curved armrest-free benches. For more privacy, seek out some private nooks in Concourse C. Most areas are carpeted, if you prefer the floor. If you’re staying overnight in the public zone, do expect a security guard to check your ID and boarding pass – you’ll be kicked out without one. A few travellers have commented on chilly temps, so bring an extra layer. Explore our guide to sleeping in Portland Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. For uninterrupted sleep, a hotel is located on airport grounds and several nearby hotels offer free shuttle service. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Portland Airport Guide.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Alaska Lounge – Location: Concourse C, Airside, Gate C5. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
United Club – Location: Concourse E, Airside, across from Gate E1. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of United Airlines ticket • United Club Membership.
Airline Lounges (members only)
Delta Sky Club – Location: Concourse D, Airside. Lounge Access: Elite Status • Lounge membership programs.
USO Lounge –The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to active members of the US military and their families. Location: Landside, Mezzanine Level, near the PDX Conference Center.
If sleeping in Portland Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel – Located on airport grounds, with 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Country Inn & Suites Portland Airport – Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. Pick-up from island 2 – Courtesy Shuttles. » Check Rates
- Hampton Inn Portland Airport – (2 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Portland Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Portland Airport. Connect to the “flypdx” network.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Nursing Mother breastfeeding rooms can be found airside near Capers Café (near the South Lobby) and near Gate D2.
- Children’s Play Area – Locations: Airside, Concourse C, near Gate C17 • Airside, Concourse D, near Gate D7.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:00AM, and closing as late as midnight. For grab and go food, head to the Your Northwest Travel Mart, Landside which is open 24 hours.
- Information Desk – There are information booths located at the airport’s 2 main entrances.
- Baggage Carts – Smartecarte offers baggage carts throughout the airport. Fees: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage Services and Logistics provides luggage storage services. Location: north end of the baggage claim, past carousel 10. Hours: 8:30AM – 1:30AM.
- Medical Services – While services are not technically available, if you are not feeling well you can teleconference with a physician at the pharmacy. See Pharmacy below.
- Pharmacy – Providence Express Care provides over the counter medications. Location: Airside, South Lobby. Hours: 5:00AM – 9:00PM.
Mobile Charging – A reader tells us that all of the chairs have outlets to charge your phone. (January 2020)
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex kiosks are available in two locations: Baggage Claim, landside. Hours: 8:30AM – 4:30PM (Mon-Fri) 8:00AM – 2:00PM (Sat & Sun) • Concourse D, airside. Hours: 7:30AM – 3:30PM (daily).
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – At the time of this update, it is not known if Duty Free shopping is available. The airport offers a small variety of shops both Landside and Airside to pass the time.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Barber Shop – Treat yourself to a haircut or an old-fashioned shave at The Barbers. Location: Oregon Market. Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Mon-Fri), 9:00AM – 4:00PM (Sat) and 10:00AM – 5:00PM (Sun).
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – Feel your stress melt away with a holistic foot, chair, or full-body massage at The Dragontree Spa. Location: Concourse C, Airside. Hours: 9:00AM – 8:00PM (Sun – Wed), 9:00AM – 8:30PM (Thurs & Fri) and 9:00AM – 6:00PM (Sat).
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Rotating art exhibits and scheduled live music performances are available throughout the airport.
- Entertainment – Digiboo. Download your favourite movie to laptop, tablet, etc. Kiosk locations: Near Gates C10, C12, C13 & C15, D4, E2 & E3.
- Movie Theater – Hollywood Theatre and PDX Art Program partnered up to create a 17-seat movie theatre, featuring short films about the Pacific Northwest. Both educational and entertaining, these films are family-friendly and run on a 1-hour loop. Entry is free! Location: Concourse C.
Other Airport Services
- Shoe Shine – Services are offered at The Barbers. Location: Concourse C, Airside, at Gate C4. Hours: 6:00AM – 2:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according to the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. The TSA security screening checkpoint hours vary according to terminal:
- ABC Checkpoint: 4:00AM – 10:00PM
- DE Checkpoint: unknown
As of June 2019, Portland airport is served by the following airlines: Air Canada • Alaska Airlines • American Airlines • Boutique Air • Condor • Delta • Frontier Airlines • Hawaiian Airlines • Icelandair • JetBlue • Southwest Airlines • Spirit Airlines • Sun Country • United Airlines • Volaris • WestJet.
Travel from the airport to the Amtrak/Union Station is very easy via the MAX Light Rail system. The Red Line connects the airport to the city. On the Red Line leaving the airport, get off at the Rose Quarter Station and transfer to the Green Line to travel to Union Station. Total estimated travel time is 30 minutes.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Avis • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National. Alamo • Budget • Thrifty are located off-site, but provide courtesy shuttle service from the airport’s lower roadway near the parking garage.
Chauffeured Vehicles for Hire
Private airport transfers, including executive sedan and limousine service, can be arranged through one of hundreds of companies that service the Portland area. Vehicles for hire must be reserved in advance.
Many local hotels provide free airport shuttle service for their guests. Hotel shuttles pick up from the lower roadway in the center of the Departures and Baggage Claim level. Ask your hotel for shuttle service availability and details.
Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Aloft Portland Airport at Cascade Station • Candlewood Suites – Portland Airport • Clarion Hotel Portland Airport • Comfort Inn & Suites Portland International Airport • Courtyard Portland Airport • Hampton Inn Portland Airport • Holiday Inn Express Portland Airport • Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205) • Hyatt Place Portland Airport/Cascade Station • La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland Airport • Quality Inn & Suites Airport Convention Center • Radisson Hotel Portland Airport • Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel • Staybridge Suites Portland Airport • Super 8 Portland.
The airport is connected to the city via the MAX Light Rail system. The Red Line departs approximately every 15 minutes. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the MAX website.
Several companies provide door-to-door local and inter-city shuttle services to and from Portland International Airport. Most of these services run daily, with some on a schedule and others available on demand. Contact your service provider of choice for service details and reservations.
Taxis are readily available on the lower roadway in the center of the Departures and Baggage Claim level.
Last updated: 2020-06-16
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.