Tampa Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Tampa Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel at the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The ticket agent was like: 'Hey you are the one with the Spongebob Pajama pants on! A t.v. reporter came through. You were on the news earlier! They were going to interview you but did not want to wake you.' -Matthew
photo credit: ops27 / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Tampa Airport.
What to Expect
- Tampa is a medium-sized, hub-and-spoke style airport that travellers say is easy to navigate.
- In general security is tolerant sleepers.
- A few Starbucks stay open 24-hours, while several other eateries are open till 11pm.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- There is a decent amount of seats, though most have armrests. You’ll have plenty of space to spread out on the carpeted floor.
- Visit the third floor for some hidden corners that provide some nighttime privacy (Traveller, June 2013).
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is hotel inside the main terminal and many other nearby hotels that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers flying on American or Delta Airlines can use their lounges by purchasing a day pass or airline membership. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Tampa Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Tampa airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Airside, Concourse F, Gate 85. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Concourse E , Airside, Gate 68. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to members of the US military and their families. Amenities include: WiFi, TV lounge, snacks, and reading materials. Location: Level 2, Ticketing Level - near the British Airways Ticket Counter. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Daily).
Free WiFi is available at Tampa Airport.
If sleeping in Tampa Airport does not appeal to you, there is a hotel inside the airport and more hotels near the airport:
- Marriott Tampa Airport - Located inside of the main terminal, and accessible from the Transfer Level. No airport shuttle, but hotel provides bellman service from baggage claim to the hotel.
- Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore - (7 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service runs every 30 minutes.
- La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 4:45AM to 12:45AM.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Tampa Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art in the Airport - Art exhibits and scheduled live music performances are available in the airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Banking - SunTrust Bank has a full-service branch in the Tampa Airport Marriott. Hours: 10:00AM - 2:00PM (Mon-Wed), 10:00AM - 4:00PM (Thurs,Fri)
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Location: Transfer Level
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has a currency exchange kiosk in the Main Terminal, Level 3 Transfer Level. Hours: 7:00AM - 8:00PM. A Travelex currency exchange ATM located in Airside F is accessible 24 hours a day.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Located in Airside E and F.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Starbucks (Main Terminal, Level 1, Baggage Claim).
- Information Desk - Location: Near the escalators on the North and South ends of Level 3, Main Terminal. Hours: 6:00AM - 12:30AM. Airport Ambassadors can be spotted throughout the airport to offer travellers assistance.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Massage - Make your way over to Rick’s Massage to unwind. Location: Inside Tampa Airport Marriott. Hours: 10:00AM - 7:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 10:00AM - 5:00PM (Sat).
- Mobile Charging - Power outlets have been built into some seating.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - There are designated smoking areas in all airside terminals.
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Location: Main Terminal, Level 3, next to "F" monorail. Hours: 9:00AM - 7:00PM (Mon - Wed) • 9:00AM - 4:00PM (Thurs - Sun).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Tampa Airport is served by Hillsborough Area Regional Transit (HART) bus route 30. For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the HART website.
Car rental services are available in the Red and Blue baggage claim areas. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty. The following car rental agencies offer free shuttle service to their nearby off-site locations: Ace, Advantage, Carl’s Van Rentals, Rentmax/Economy, E-Z Rent-A-Car, Flightcar, FOX, Payless, Sixt and Zipcar.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Tampa Airport • Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay • Hampton Inn Tampa International Airport / Westshore • Hilton Garden Inn Tampa Airport Westshore • Hilton Tampa Airport Westshore • Holiday Inn Tampa Westshore • Homewood Suites Tampa Airport - Westshore • Hyatt Place Tampa Airport/Westshore • La Quinta Inn Tampa Bay Airport • Ramada Tampa Airport Westshore • Renaissance Tampa Hotel International Plaza • Sheraton Suites Tampa Airport Westshore • SpringHill Suites Tampa Westshore Airport • Tampa Marriott Westshore • TownePlace Suites Tampa Westshore / Airport.
SuperShuttle offers shared-ride, door-to-door shuttle service between the airport and destinations within Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco and Hernando Counties. At the time of this update, the estimated fare between the airport and Tampa is from $12 - $34 per person, and includes three pieces of luggage.
Taxis are available outside of the baggage claim area. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Minimum fare for rides from the airport is $15. At the time of this update, a flat fare of $25 is available for rides to the cruise terminal and downtown Tampa.
Last Updated: 24 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.