Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Austin – Bergstrom Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Around midnight they kicked everyone sleeping out of our comfy Southwest Airlines chairs (leather, nice!) and I found the mezzanine the perfect sleeping spot! – defiant
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.
What to expect
- Austin Airport is a small and pleasant airport that some reviewers describe as efficient and easy to navigate. There are 2 terminals: The Barbara Jordan Terminal which has 24 gates and the new, smaller South Terminal, which offers 3 gates. The terminals are not connected, so be sure to check which terminal you are arriving or departing from.
- The airport features a live music stage featuring local musicians, a unique variety of shopping and dining options, clean facilities and lots of bathrooms and power outlets.
- Airport shops and restaurants close at night. Vending machines are available but sell a limited variety of snacks, so stash a take-out meal for later!
- The airport provides free WiFi and internet kiosks. See WiFi below.
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with a lounge pass or airline membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers who have arrived on a late flight connecting to a morning flight are able to stay in the secure area of the terminal.
- A few reviews mention the loud and constant overhead announcements that can be heard through most of the airport (excluding the Mezzanine), so keep some earplugs or noise cancelling headphones handy if you want to sleep!
- The leather chairs in the Southwest boarding areas are said to be comfy, but it is not possible to sleep here overnight. You will be moved to the public area of the terminal until the security checkpoints open in the morning.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel on airport grounds and several other nearby hotels that offer an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- American Airlines Admirals Club – Location: across from Gate 13. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of American Airlines ticket • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
- United Club – Location: Airside, West Concourse, mezzanine level, across from Gate 13. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door with proof of United Airlines ticket • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Austin Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Austin Airport – (2 minutes from the airport terminal) This is the only hotel on airport grounds. Free 24-hour airport shuttle and $1 Airport Flyer service to downtown Austin. » Check Rates
- Quality Inn & Suites Airport – (5 minute from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available from 5:00AM – 11:00PM. » Check Rates
- Super 8 Austin / Airport South – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Austin Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Austin Airport for 2 hours. Open your browser, select complimentary Wi-Fi (mobile devices select “Boingo”) then click “Complimentary Wi-Fi.”
Additionally, free internet kiosks are located on the concourse near Gates 8, 12 and 15 and in bag claim by the Visitors Center.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Art in the Airport
Works from local artists are on display throughout the airport. In addition, check out some of the best local musicians that Austin has to offer! Live music acts perform live on stage in the airport Monday through Friday, usually from 3:30PM – 5:30PM.
ATMs / Cash Machines
Need cash? ATMs, operated by Bank of America, are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside • Airside in the Barbara Jordan Terminal. There are no ATMs in the South Terminal.
Baby Care Facilities
Mamava Lactation Suite private room for nursing/pumping breastmilk with two bench seats, small fold-down table, power and USB outlets, mirror, door for privacy. Free access for parents. Location: Barbara Jordan Terminal, opposite Gate 7, by the elevator.
Courtesy phones are available for local calls only. Location: Barbara Jordan Terminal, Baggage Claim, next to Information Desk.
Travelex offers currency exchange in the Barbara Jordan Terminal, Airside near Gates 6 (Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM Mon – Fri and 10:00AM – 6:00PM Sun) and Gates 14 (Hours: 8:00AM – 7:00PM Mon – Fri and 10:00AM – 7:00PM Sun).
Thirsty? Water bottle refill stations are available free of charge. Before clearing customs you can empty your water bottles in the supplied containers and refill your bottles Airside. Locations: Airside, Gates 1-9 and Airside, Gates 11-25.
Food & Drinks
» Barbara Jordan Terminal: Food concessions (both landside and airside) throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:30AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are available in the Baggage Claim Area, near Carousels 1 and 5.
» South Terminal: Offers one restaurant which is located Airside.
The airport’s Visitor Information Centers offer maps, directions, information on ground transportation, and more. You can also seek the assistance of a friendly Ambassador Volunteer with questions about airport amenities and services. Visitor Information Centers are located in the Barbara Jordan Terminal, Baggage Claim area, near Carousels 3 and 5.
Local musicians perform at 1 of 6 venues around the airport (Monday – Friday).
Luggage Storage & Lockers
Feel your stress melt away with a foot or chair massage at Knot Anymore Massage. Locations: Barbara Jordan Terminal, Gate 7 (under the stairway) • Gate 13 (under the stairway).
The South Terminal offers mobile charging stations. At the time of this update it is not known if there are chargers available in the Barbara Jordan Terminal.
Watch planes take off and land from the Family Viewing Area, an outdoor observation area with paved parking and picnic tables. Mornings are the best time for taking photographs! Location: Adjacent to the runway, just east of the airport entrance.
Loves Shoe Shine (Gate 13, under the stairway).
Books, newspapers, cosmetics, electronics, souvenirs, and more are available for purchase from retail shops and kiosks located throughout the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours. The TSA security checkpoints are open from approx. 3:30AM – 8:30PM.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning. However, if you have arrived on a late flight, you are able to stay in the secure area of the airport without having to pass through to the public area.
As of March 2018, Austin airport is served by the following airlines: Aeromexico • Air Canada • Alaska Airlines • Airlines Airlines • British Airways • Condor • Delta • Frontier Airlines • Jetblue Airways • Norwegian • Southwest Airlines • United Airlines • Vacation Express • Virgin America • Volaris • Allegiant Air • Sun Country • ViaAir.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The public bus system is an option for traveling from the Austin airport to the Amtrak Station. Total travel time should be about 1 hour. A taxi is significantly faster at about 23 minutes of driving time.
Bus No 100 Airport Flyer serves the airport to downtown and Bus No 350 Airport Boulevard connects the airport to North Austin. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Capmetro website.
The following companies provide onsite car rental service at Austin-Bergstrom Airport: Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • EZ Rent • Fox • Hertz • National • Payless • Thrifty.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Hotel shuttles pick-up on the Upper Level (Ticketing/Departures). Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Austin Airport Inn & Suites • Comfort Suites Austin Airport • Courtyard by Marriott Austin Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Austin – Airport • Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South • Hilton Austin Airport • Holiday Inn Express Austin Airport • Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South • La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Airport • Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Austin Airport • Quality Inn & Suites Austin Airport • Staybridge Suites Austin Airport • Super 8 Austin Airport South • Wyndham Garden Austin.
At the time of this January 2018 update, the minimum fare is $12.10, including airport surcharge, for up to 4 passengers (excluding children under 12). Payments by credit card are accepted.
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will update this guide.