Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Baku Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
there’s nowhere suitable that I could find to kip when arriving on a 4am flight. – a traveller
GYD Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Baku Heydar Aliyev International Airport.
What to Expect
Baku Airport (code: GYD) has two separate terminal buildings: the brand new Terminal 1, for international destinations, and Terminal 2, for domestic flights. Your experience will vary based on your terminal, as T1 has a unique, modern vibe, but T2 is older, with basic facilities.
Amenities include a few restaurants, cafes, and shops, which are reportedly pricey, but they do stay open 24 hours. Free WiFi helps pass the time. For an upgraded layover, economy class travellers can pay to enter several airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
Sleeping in Baku Airport
For overnight stays, the airside seems more comfortable than the landside. On the airside of T1, you can find carpeted floors and quieter corners for some rest. In the landside areas, seating is limited to metal benches, so bring an extra layer or blanket for warmth. Avoid the arrivals level, where taxi drivers may hassle you. For uninterrupted sleep, sleep pods are located airside in Terminal 1, and nearby hotels offer free shuttle service. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Baku Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Salam Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Ground Floor, Zone B. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Absheron Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 3rd Level. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Baku Club – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, International Arrivals. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
- Premium Bank Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Landside, Ground Floor, Near Gate 14 and 15. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Holders of Visa Platinum Miles, Visa Signature Miles, MC Platinum Miles and MC Black Edition Miles.
There are no lounges available. If this is not correct, you can let us know here.
- AZAL Business Class Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Landside & Airside access, Zone A, 1st Level. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Azerbaijan Airlines Business Class ticket.
- Business Class Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Departure Area, 4th Level. Hours: 24 hours. Lounge Access: A Business class ticket for airlines besides Azerbaijan Airlines.
Related Pages: Baku Airport Lounges
Airport Hotels & Sleep Pods
If sleeping in Baku Airport sounds like a nightmare, there is a hotel at the airport and several nearby hotels with shuttles:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
- Sleep Pods – Gosleep sleeping pods are available for rent. Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Departures Area, 3rd Floor, just beyond security check point, near the resting area. Pods are available in 2 locations. Fee: unknown, although one reader (2019) mentioned they are free to use, the same reader also reported seeing sleep pods in Terminal 1, Airside, on the 1st Floor. If you have more information, click here to update this airport guide.
- Sheraton Baku Airport – Located within 5-minute walk from the airport terminal, but a shuttle is available upon request (advance notice required for pickup or drop-off). The pickup location is at the Sheraton Sign Light Box, located to the right of the South Terminal exit. Day rates are available starting at 117 AZN for use from 8:00AM – 6:00PM, 149 AZN for 6:00PM – 12:00AM and 109 AZN for 12:00AM – 8:00AM. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Baku Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Baku Airport. Connect to the “Baku-Airport-Free-WiFi” network.
Additionally, the airport offers free internet terminals in Terminal 1, departures area.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMS can be found at several locations (Airside & Landside) throughout the airport. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans.
Barber Shop – Location: Terminal 2, Floor 2.
Baby Care Facilities – If you are traveling with infants, Baku Airport provides several useful services:
- Baby Care Rooms are equipped with diaper changing tables, hot water, sofas, etc. Locations: Airside, Terminal 1, 3rd Floor • Terminal 1, Airside, 4th Floor • Terminal 2, 2nd Floor.
- Diaper changing stations. Locations: Baby Care Rooms • Multipurpose toilets located throughout the airport
- Baby Feeding Chairs. Locations: available at all landside and airside Cafes and Bars.
Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available free of charge at various points in the airport.
Baggage Wrapping – This service is available for a 5 AZN per piece of luggage. Locations: Terminal 1, Check-in Area, Zone A, 1st Floor • Terminal 1, Check-in Area, Zone B, 1st Floor • Terminal 2, Check-in Area, 2nd Floor.
Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play areas. A soft, comfortable, and colorful play area. Location: Terminal 1, Departure Area, 3rd Floor/4th Floor • Terminal 2.
Currency Exchange – Premium Bank and International Bank of Azerbaijan offer full-service banking, including currency exchange. Four locations can be found Landside, Airside and in Arrivals. Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon-Fri).
Duty Free & Shoping – Duty-free shopping is available 24 hours a day on the 1st floor. A variety of retail shops is available on the 3rd and 4th floors.
Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, we are unable to confirm the availability of any 24-hour dining options. Vending machines can be found all throughout the terminal. Food options include:
- Landside: McDonald’s • illy • Sky Coffee • Ləzzət
- Airside: 150 Bar & Grill • Room • Xurcun • Ay Qonşu
- Vending Machines are also available throughout the airport
Information Desk – Three Information Desks can be found Landside while Airside has one. “How Can I Help You” staff can also be found throughout the airport, look for their blue uniforms.
Library – Looking for something to occupy yourself with while waiting for your flight? The airport’s library offers a variety of books which will keep you entertained! Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Departure hall.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical services are available at the airport medical center. Location: T1, 3rd Floor, “A” zone.
Mobile Charging – Charging stations for mobile devices are available. Most of the stations are located in the Departure Area, Airside, 3rd Floor.
Pharmacy – While there is no traditional pharmacy, there are several pharmacy vending machines filled with common over-the-counter medications. Locations: Arrivals, 1st Floor, Landside • Departures, 3rd Floor, Airside.
Post Office – Available in Terminal 2, Floor 2.
Prayer Room – A prayer room is available airside, after Passport Control, 3rd Floor. The airport also offers Ablution Rooms to wash before praying, located in Duty-Free Shopping Area, 3rd Floor.
Rest Zones – According to the airport website, there are 2 rest zones available. Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Departures, 3rd Floor. The Zones are just beyond the security check point where the sleep pods should also be located. A reader also mentioned “it’s true that there isn’t any free reclined seats but there are waiting seats at each gate as well as comfortable couches around the “cocoons” that if you sit without buying anything no one bothers you at.” (July 2018)
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
Showers – Not available.
SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Smoking – Smoking is prohibited throughout the airport. There are, however, designated smoking cabins. Locations:
- Landside: Zone A, 1st Floor • Zone B, 1st Floor.
- Airside: Main Terminal, Departures, 3rd Floor • Main Terminal, Arrivals, 1st Floor.
Spa – Visit the Spa & Beauty Lounge for a variety of services. Location: Terminal 1, 3rd Floor, Airside. Hours: Unknown.
Water Fountains – Thirsty? Drinking water stations are available free of charge. Locations: Departures, Airside, 3rd Floor.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Baku airport is served by the following airlines: Aeroflot • Air Arabia • Air Astana • Arkia Airlines • Azerbaijan Airlines • Belavia • Buta Airways • China Southern Airlines • Etihad Airways • Fly Dubai • Flynas • Gulf Air • IrAero • Iran Air • Iraqi Airways • Israir • Jazeera Airways • Kuwait Airways • Lufthansa • Nordstar • Pegasus • Qatar Airways • S7 Airlines • Scat • Smartvia • Turkish Airlines • UIA • UR Airlines • Ural Airlines • Utair • Uzbekistan Airways • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Aznur Car Rental is open 24 hours. Location: Located at Terminal 1, landside, on the first floor.
At the time of this update we were able to find only one hotel that provided airport shuttle service: Days Hotel Baku.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Aero Express Line provides 24 hour connections to and from GYD airport, every 30 minutes. For fares, routes and schedule information,visit the Aero Express website.
Taxis are available at the “official taxi stand” outside of Terminal 1, 2nd Lane.
Last updated: 2023-01-18
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.