Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Beijing Capital Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
no matter where I tried to get some shut-eye, even if I was sleeping sat upright, a member of airport staff would shake me and declare ‘no sleeping! – Clipsham
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Beijing Capital Airport.
What to Expect
Beijing Capital Airport is a huge, modern, and very busy airport consisting of three terminals. T1 caters to domestic flights. T2 caters to a mix of domestic and international flights. T3 is the largest and newest terminal, and has one main concourse, (T3C) and two satellite concourses (T3D and T3E). All terminals are connected by a landside shuttle bus.
There are a wide range of restaurants, many of which are open 24-hours a day. WiFi is free and unlimited, but does require those without Chinese cell phones to scan their passports to get access. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges – some of which have showers – that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and access information.
Where to Sleep
This busy airport is fairly tolerant of airport sleepers – though, you should come prepared with earplugs or noise cancelling headphones or earplugs and a sleep mask, as the noise and light can be a nuisance.
The airport offers a series of rest zones in all terminals, which are definitely the best places to unwind. Otherwise, travellers have also said good things about the couches at the Terminal 3 Burger King. If you’re not able to access any of those spots, a bit of creativity will be required. It would seem that all the chairs with cushions have armrests – and those without armrests are nearly always wooden. If you’re trying to sleep landside, there are a good number of armrest-free benches, particularly near the A/B and L/K counters. That said, these areas can get crowded so you’ll want to snag a spot quickly! Explore our guide to sleeping in Beijing Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there are sleep pods and an hourly hotel inside the terminal. There are also other hotels located nearby, and connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide for locations.
Good to Know
A number of travellers report that some airport staff struggle to communicate in English. Security checkpoints can also be quite slow and very busy, so you should make sure you give yourself more than enough time to get to your gate.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes BCAT Hourly Hotel / Lounge – Location: Terminal 3E, Airside, across from Gate E10. Showers and Nap Rooms are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the door • Prepaid lounge passes. [ more lounge info ]
Business Travelers Lounge – Location: Terminal 3E International, Airside, across from Gate E10. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Acecess: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Beijing Airport does not appeal to you, there are many hotels near the airport:
In Transit Hourly Hotel – Inside the terminal, there are “hourly lounges” which feature standard rooms with bathrooms. Locations: Terminal 1, Airside, 3F, West Side of Gate 8 • Terminal 2, Domestic Arrivals, B1, between Gate D5 and D6 • Terminal 2, International Arrivals, B1, between Gate D2 and D3 • Terminal 3, Landside, 2F, West Side of Arrivals Hall – T3E. According to a reviewer in July 2017, the rates were RMB 500 (Terminal 2, 4-6 hours for a single standard with bathroom) • 380RMB (Terminal 2, 4-5 hours for a single standard without bathroom) • 300RMB (Terminal 1 – shared room without bathroom). Showers are 50RMB per person.
In Transit GoSleep Pods – Sleeping chair/pod equipped with a cover to block light/noise and storage under the seat to secure personal items. Electronic devices can be recharged inside the unit. Pods can be used for 1 hour or longer. Location: Terminal 2, Airside, near Gate 31.
Near Airport Hilton Beijing Capital Airport Hotel – (1 minute from the airport) Free 24-hour shuttle bus runs 6:00AM to 12:59AM from Terminal 3/Gate 5 (every 20 min) and Terminal 2/Gate 3 (every 30 min). Contact hotel in advance for pick up from 1:00AM to 6:00AM. » Check Rates
Near Airport Capital Airport Hotel – (1km from the airport) Free airport shuttle. » Check Rates
Near Airport Days Hotel Beijing New Exhibition Center – (2.1km from airport) Free airport shuttle departs on a schedule. » Check Rates
Near Airport Cordis Hotel Beijing Airport – (1 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs 24 hours a day: Terminal 3, go to 2nd lane of Gate No. 5, ground floor, runs every 20 mins. Terminals 1 & 2 go to Gate No. 3, ground floor of T2, runs every 30 mins. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Beijing Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Beijing Airport. Connect to the “AIRPORT-FREE-WiFi” network. You will need a Chinese mobile phone number in order to receive your User ID and password via SMS, or you can scan your passport information at any information desk in order to receive your User ID and password. Boingo account holders should be able to automatically access Boingo hotspots in the airport.
Workstations with internet access are available at the Business Center in Terminal 3, Airside.
- Business Center – Printing, faxing, computers with internet access, mobile charging and more are available in the airport’s business centers. There are three locations: T1, airside, Floor 2, near Gate 2 (Hours: 7:00AM – 9:30PM) • T2, airside, Floor 2, near Gate 14 (Hours: 6:30AM – 9:30PM) • T3, landside, Floor 4, Check-in Area (Hours: 6:00AM – 9:00PM).
- Post Office – China Post offers postal services, along with newspapers and books for purchase. Two locations: T2, Departure Hall, 1st Floor, Gate 2 • T3, east of the Arrivals Hall, 1st Floor. Hours: 7:00AM – 8:00PM.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Dressing Rooms – The Luggage Claim Lobby has six dressing rooms equipped with mirrors, tables, chairs and additional amenities to make changing clothes quick and easy. Three locations: T1, 1st Floor, west of the Luggage Claim Hall in the Quarantine Area • T2, Luggage Claim Hall, east of Carousel 14 • T2, International Luggage Claim Hall, near Carousel 4 • T3-C, south of East Luggage Claim Hall • T3-C, south of West Luggage Claim Hall • T3-C, south of International Luggage Claim Hall.
- Children’s Play Area – Several areas have been set up for children to burn off some stea, before their flights:
- Terminal 1: A forest and jungle-themed playground is available in the Eastern Gallery.
- Terminal 2: Comfy sofas and a large toy are available at kid-friendly mini lounges available throughout T2. You can find them in these locations: International Departures Gate 13 • Domestic Gates 21, 24, 26, and 34.
- Terminal 3: Colorful climbing toys are available at a car and turtle-themed playground located near Gate C09, and at a panda-themed playground near Gate E21. Young children will enjoy the digital interactive zone at Gate C04, while a digital interactive zone for all ages is available at Gate C08.
- Swimming Pool – While not on airport grounds, a free 24-hour shuttle bus will take you to the Hilton Beijing Airport, where you can use the fitness center, spa and indoor heated swimming pool. Shuttles depart every 15 minutes to go to T3 (Gate 5 on ground floor), and every 30 minutes to go to T1 and T2, stopping to pick up passengers at T2 (Gate 7 on ground floor). Shuttle service between 11:30PM – 7:00AM must be requested in advance.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking water dispensers are available free of charge. The machines provide cold, warm and hot water (some with disposable cups). Location: throughout all terminals.
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1: Comfort Garden • KFC • Starbucks • Urban Food Market.
- Terminal 2: Acasia Deli Cafe • Costa Coffee • Du Hsiao Yueh • Grab & Fly • Heineken • Kafelaku Coffee • KFC • Lei Cafe • Malan • Qing Feng Bun Shop • Starbucks (2 locations) • Urban Food Market • Yang Guo Fu • Yoshinoya.
- Terminal 3: Ajisen Ramen • C. Straits Cafe • Celestial Cuisine • Costa Coffee (2 locations) • Crystal Jade Kitchen (2 locations) • Gourmet Noodle House • Lei Cafe • McDonalds • O’Leary’s • Paris Baguette • Starbucks (3 locations) • Thai Express • UBC Coffee • Zkungfu.
- All Terminals – Vending machines are available throughout the airport.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available free of charge throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Left luggage storage is available at a rate of RMB20 – 50 per 24-hour period, per piece of luggage (rate depends on size). Three locations: T1, corridor between T1 and T2 • T2, Arrival Hall, 1st Floor, Gate 9 • T2, Departures Hall, 2nd Floor, Gates 8 and 10 • T3-C, landside, east side of Arrival Hall, 2nd Floor • T3-C, landside, west side of Arrival Hall, 2nd Floor. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – Available for RMB30 per piece of luggage. Location and hours: unknown.
- Mobile Charging – There are free power outlets located throughout the terminals and lockable charging spots where you can insert your device and come back later when the device is charged. Location: Terminal 3, Domestic Departures, Boarding Gates C8 and C30.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Banking Services – Bank of China, China Construction Bank, and Agricultural Bank operate full-service branches on the 2nd and 4th floors of Terminal 3. Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM.
- Currency Exchange – Currency exchange agencies are located throughout all three terminals, with most locations open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Several areas have been set up for travellers to relax in between flights.
- T2 “Window Lounge”: Relax among the china doll trees in one of six comfy lounge chairs, as you watch planes take off and land through a panoramic 10 meter window. This cozy, carpeted area is located in T2, airside, between Gates 36 – 39.
- T2 “Brilliant Colors Lounge”: Take a rest on comfy seating amidst the colorful grid art of Piet Mondrian. Location: T2, airside, Gate 23 (Domestic).
- T2 “Oasis Lounge”: Mobile-charging, comfy couches, and TVs are available in this carpeted, green-toned waiting lounge. Location: T2, airside, Transfer Hall on F1.
- T3 “Digital Forest Lounge”: This eco-themed lounge has comfy leather chairs, power sockets with USB ports, interactive photography equipment, e-book devices, and more. Location: Airside at Domestic Gate C10.
- T3 “Tulip Lounge”: A whimsical tulip-themed lounge with four functional zones, where you can relax in a cozy lounge chair, charge your devices, chat with friends in eggshell-shaped chairs, or buy snacks, juices, and WiFi access. Location: Airside at Domestic Gate C30.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in the International waiting areas of Terminals 2 and 3. A wide variety of retails shops selling souvenirs, local specialties, teas and more are available in all three terminals.
Showers, Salon & Spa
Massage – Le SPA offers Chinese foot massage. Location: T3, Domestic Departures, Gate 28 Hours: 7:00AM – 11:30PM
- Salon – unknown
- Showers – A reader tells us there are two free showers in the E Gate Terminal. One is located between the Bally and Montblanc stores. The other is between the Ferragamo and Hugo Boss stores. The shower is said to be roomy and has a storage locker and good water pressure. You can also find showers in the hourly lounges. [ see Airport Hotels above ]. In July 2016, a reviewer told us that shower-only service is available in Terminal 2, Domestic Arrivals, B1, between Gate D5 and D6. The rate is 50RMB.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Art, breathtaking themes, interactive displays, and live entertainment acts are on display throughout the airport. Airplane-shaped bench seating, lush garden areas, water features, a “Starry Night”-themed corridor, and more make Beijing Airport a fun and interesting place to explore! Check out a performance of the Staff Art Troupe, live at T3-E Fountain daily from 10:00AM – 2:00PM, or feed the beautiful fish at two indoor gardens (Suzhou Garden and Royal Garden) at T3-E, daily from 9:00AM – 3:00PM. Fish food provided free of charge at the gardens.
- Gardens – There are two gardens with ponds. The staff will hand out fish food for travellers to feed the fish. Location: Terminal 3, E Suzhou Garden and Royal Garden. Feeding time: 9:00AM – 3:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of November 2018, Beijing airport is served by the following airlines: Air Algerie • Air Astana • Air Canada • Air China • Air France • Air Koryo • Air Leisure • Air Macau • American Airlines • ANA • Asia Airlines • Asiana Airlines • Aurora • Austrian Airways • Azerbaijan Airlines • Azur • British Airways • Cambodia Angkor Air • Capital Airlines International • Cathay Pacific • Cebu Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern • China Southern • Chongqing • Delta • Di Lian Airlines • Donghai Airlines • Dragonair • Dynamic Airways • EgyptAir • Emirates Airlines • Ethiopian Air • Etihad Airways • EVA Air • Finnair • Fuzhou Airlines • Garuda Indonesian • Grand China • Hainan Airlines • Hawaiian Airlines • Hebei Airlines • Hong Kong Airlines • Iran National Airline • Israel Airlines • Japan Airlines • Jeju Air • Jianxi Airlines • JSC Airlines • KLM • Korean Airlines • Kunming Airlines • LOT • Lucky Air Company • Lufthansa • Mahan • Malaysia Airlines • Mongolian Airlines • Nordwind Airlines • Philippine Airlines • PIA • Qantas • Qatar Airlines • Qingdao Airlines • Russian Airlines • S7 Airlines • Scandinavian • Shanghai Airlines • Shanghai Juneyao Airlines Shandong Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Sichuan Airlines • Sky Angkor • Spring Airlines • Sri Lankan Airlines • Swiss • TAAG • Tajik Air • Thai Airways International • Tianjin Airlines • Tibet Airlines • Turkish Airlines • Turkmenistan Airlines • Ukraine International Airlines • United Airlines • Ural Airlines • Uzbekistan Airlines • Vietnam Airlines • VIM Airlines • Xiamen Airlines • Yakutia Airlines • Zhejiang Airlines.
Numerous local city buses and interprovincial coaches are available to passengers needing rides to and from the airport. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Beijing Airport website.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service for their guests. Contact your hotel of choice for availability and details: Capital Airport International Hotel • CITIC Hotel Beijing Airport • Crowne Plaza Beijing International Airport • Days Hotel Beijing New Exhibition Center • Days Inn Business Place Longwan Beijing • Eastern Air Hotel • Hilton Beijing Capital Airport • Cordis Hotel Beijing Capital Airport.
Passengers can travel between the terminals via free shuttle bus service. Buses run 24 hours a day, as often as every 10 minutes during peak times.
Taxi ranks are located at Terminal 1 (Gate 1, outside on F1), Terminal 2 (Gates 5 – 9 on F1) and Terminal 3 (follow signs).
The Airport Express railway runs between Terminals 2 and 3, and Dongzhimen and Sanyuanqiao Metro stations in 10 – 12 minute intervals daily from 6:00AM – 11:00PM. There are Airport Express stations located in Terminal 2 (B2 of Parking Garage 2) and Terminal 3 (F2 of Parking Garage 3). At the time of this November 2018 update, a one-way ticket is ¥25.
Last updated: 2018-11-13
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.