Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Bucharest Henri Coandă Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I was nervous about sleeping here as I spoke no Romanian and had never spent the night at an airport. But, when I arrived there were probably 20 others doing the same, so that made me feel better. – robbo79
To help you plan your layover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Bucharest Henri Coandă Airport.
What to Expect
- OTP is one of two airports serving Romania’s capital city, and home to most international flights serving the country.
- This is an old, renovated airport with a single terminal. It’s divided between Schengen and non-Schengen zone flights.
- Airport staff and security are generally tolerant of overnight travellers though some travellers report that they wouldn’t allow them in some areas.
- There are plenty of 24-hour eateries and cafes. The tap water is undrinkable (don’t even try it!), so have bottled water on hand for drinking. See Food & Drinks in the airport guide below.
- Power outlets are few and far between, but there is a mobile charging station near Gate 2.
- Free WiFi is available, but it is reportedly very slow. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Armrest-free seats are rare in this airport, and the only couches to be found are in the smoking lounges. Unless you don’t mind the smoke, be prepared to sleep on the floor by having a travel mat or sleeping bag handy.
- Now that the children’s play area has been replaced with a casino, the best place for sleeping in the airport is the hallway between the Arrivals and Departures areas.
- Airside seems more comfortable, with a decent amount of benches.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are a few hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Mastercard Business Lounge – Location: International Departure Terminal, Airside, 2nd floor, above Gate 8. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door. [ more lounge info ]
- Satellite Business Lounge – Location: International Departure Terminal, Airside, 2nd floor, above Gate 14. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door. [ more lounge info ]
- Tarom Business Lounge – Location: International Departure Terminal, Airside, 2nd floor, above Gate 7. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Bucharest Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Vienna Airport Easy Airport Bucharest – (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport transfers are available upon request. » Check Rates
- Hotel Otopeni – (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport transfers are available upon request. » Check Rates
- Motel Casa Romaneasca – (5 minutes from the airport) » Check Rates
- RIN Airport Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Bucharest Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Bucharest Henri Coandă Airport.
- Post Office – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailbox. Location: Departure and Arrivals Terminals. In addition to postal service, Western Union money transfers, GSM phone cards and public phone cards are available. Location: corridor between Departures and Arrivals terminals Hours: 8:00AM – 4:00PM (Mon-Fri).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – A Mother and Baby room is available for care and feeding of infants. Ask at the Information Desk for assistance. Hours: Open 24 hours Airport restrooms are also equipped for travelers with infants.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Departures, landside, Ground Floor: Brioche Dorée • Gloria Jean’s Coffees • Lavazza Espression • Route 96
- Departures, airside: Brioche Doree (Gates 4 – 6) • Burger King (Gates 24 – 29) • city cafe (Gates 24 – 29) • Haagen-Dazs (Gates 2 – 3) • illy Espressamente (Domestic Departures and Gates 12 – 16) • La Sarmale (Gates 24 – 29) • Momenti Peroni (Gates 7 – 11) • refuel (Gates 2 – 3) • Trattoria Buongiorno (Gates 24 – 29)
- International Arrivals, landside, 1st Floor: Segafredo Zanetti
- Groceries – If you need to pick-up some groceries before heading to your home in Bucharest, Billa Supermarket is located on the Ground Floor of the Arrivals Terminal. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM Mon-Sat (open until 11:45PM on Sundays).
- Information Desks – Locations: Departures, Landside • Arrivals, Landside.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Luggage Wrapping – Service are available. Location: Departures, landside, Check-In. Rates: for 30 lei per bag.
- Pharmacy – 2mPharma – Location: passageway between Arrivals and Departures. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging -A reader (September 2018) tells us that there are outlets (230V) available at the Take Off Restaurant. There should be more spots to recharge, but you may have to look for them.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Departures, landside, Ground Floor • Arrivals, landside, 1st Floor • Baggage Reclaim • corridor between Departures and Arrivals terminals.
- Banking Services – Romanian Bank for Development and Transilvania Bank offer full-service banking in the airport. Location: corridor between Departures and Arrivals terminals • Arrivals, landside, Ground Floor Hours: 9:00AM – 5:00PM Mon-Fri.
- Currency Exchange – Foreign currency exchange offices throughout the airport operate on varying schedules. These locations are open 24 hours: Adriatica & Company (Departures (landside), Departures (airside, 1st floor and 2nd floor gates), Arrivals (airside near gates) • QUICK Exchange (corridor between Departures and Arrivals terminals).
- Chapel – Christian-Orthodox Chapel – Location: Departures Terminal, Landside, First Floor.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – You will find several shops that are open 24 hours a day including all 5 locations of BestValue (both Landside and Airside).
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Hair Salon – A hair salon/barber shop is available. Location: Landside, underground. Hours: 9:30AM – 5:30PM (Mon – Fri), 9:00AM – 2:00PM (Sat) and closed Sundays.
- Showers – Not available.
- Smoking Areas – There are designated smoking areas located airside.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour.The airport conducts four different tours of the airport. You can choose from Passenger Terminals (90 minutes), Airside (2 hours), Passenger Terminals + airside (3-4 hours) and Airport Operations (3 hours). Days: on the second last Friday of the month and the last Saturday of the month.. Departure Time: 10:00AM. Rates: unknown.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Bucharest Henri Coandă airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aeroflot • Air Berlin • Air Bucharest • Air France • Air Moldova • Air Serbia • Austrian Airlines • Blue Air • British Airways • Czech Airlines • EL Al Israel Airlines • Farnair • Switzerland • FlyDubai • Germanwings • KLM • LOT • Lufthansa • Pegasus Airlines • Qatar Airways • Ryanair • SAS • Sky Airlines • Swiss • TAP Portugal • Tarom • Turkish Airlines • Vueling • Wizz Air.
The 780 Express line runs between the airport and Gara de Nord (main railway station), and the 783 Express line links the airport to Bucharest city center with a 24-hour service that departs every 20 – 40 minutes. At the time of this January 2018 update, fare is 3,5 lei (one-way) or 7 lei (roundtrip). For route maps, schedules and additional fare information, visit the RATB website.
Car rental desks are located in the walkway between Departures and Arrivals Halls. Onsite car rental agencies include Autonom, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
Taxis are available on-demand at the airport, but must be hired by using one of the touchscreen devices located in the public area of the Arrivals terminal. The touchscreen device will signal a taxi to the pickup area for you, and print a receipt that you must present to the taxi driver. This system prevents taxi rip-offs from occurring.
There is a railway station just 900m from the airport terminals which is connected (to Arrivals and Departures) by shuttle buses. Trains from the airport train station go directly to Gara de Nord railway station, where connections can be made to regional, national and long-distance trains. At the time of this January 2018 update, cost of an adult one-way ticket is 6,8 lei, which includes the shuttle bus transfer between the airport terminals and railway station. For Airport- Gara de Nord train schedules, visit the Bucharest Airport website.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.