Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Cluj Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Overall sleeping here is feasible, but I would not recommend it. Staying for several hours during daytime is not that bad. – marcorox
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Cluj International Airport.
What to Expect
- A large and modern international airport terminal, easily accessible from the city center via cheap and easy public transportation.
- A selection of shopping and dining options is available but close at night. Reasonably-priced vending machines are available so have food and beverages handy for later!
- Lots of power outlets for mobile charging
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- All of the airport’s seat are hard and uncomfortable, with armrests, so the floor will be a more likely option for sleeping. Have a travel mat or sleeping bag handy for added comfort!
- Due to the airport’s bright lights and loud overhead music, a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones are a must, if you want to sleep.
- Try the first floor, for easy access to restrooms, power outlets and vending machines.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Cluj Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Pensiunea Verona Aeroport– (2 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers. » Check Rates
- Pensiunea Zbor – (3 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available for approx. 25,00€ each way. » Check Rates
- Pensiunea Sada – (4 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel Univers T – (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. The hotel can arrange a taxi for you (approx. 22 LEI one way). » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Cluj Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Cluj Airport in the VIP and Business lounges and the boarding areas for the International and Domestic departures.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside in the Departures and Arrivals areas.
Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour. Minimum group size is 10 people.
Chapel – Location: Departures, airside, Upper Level.
Currency Exchange – IDM offers currency exchange in the baggage reclaim area for international flights. Transylvania Bank offers both full-service banking and currency exchange in the International Terminal. Transylvania Bank hours are as follows: 9:00AM – 5:00PM (Mon-Fri) for banking; 8:00AM – 7:00PM daily for currency exchange.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available to passengers in the International Departures area (3:30AM – 9:00PM) and International Arrivals area (8:00AM – 3:00AM). A variety of retail and gift shops are available throughout the airport terminal.
Family Services – A mother and child room is available. Location: Departures Terminal, Ground Floor. Hours: 24 hours.
Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options, but vending machines are available. Food options include: Air Cafe • Brava Cafe • Cloud Cafe • Express Airport Restaurant • Petru Simigerie • So Coffee.
Information Desk – Available in the Departure Terminal. Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM (Mon – Fri) and 12:00PM – 8:00PM (Sat & Sun).
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Luggage Wrapping – SecurePlus luggage wrapping is available landside in the Departures terminal. Hours: 3:30AM – 7:00PM.
Medical Services – Services are available in the Departure Terminal, Ground Floor. Hours: Unknown.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of November 2018, Cluj airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Blue Air • Cargo Air • LOT • Lufthansa • Silver Air • Swift Air • Tarom • Turkish Airlines • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Bus and Trolleybus
Trolleybus 5 offers daily service between the airport and Cluj-Napoca train station. Connections to other public bus and trolleybus routes are available at most stops along the way.
For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the CTP Cluj-Napoca website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Autonom, Avis, Hertz, Mas Rent a Car, Niraj (Avram Iancu), Olimpo, PHP Rent A Car, Rodna, Sixt and Touring Rent Auto Romania.
Taxis are available outside of the Arrivals terminal on a 24-hour basis. For safety reasons, make sure your taxi of choice is equipped with a working meter in plain view before beginning your journey.
Last updated: 2018-11-08
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.