Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Douala Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The sight of Kenya Airways on the tarmac is a religious moment. Ahhh, they’ve finally come to get me! – unknown
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Douala International Airport.
What to Expect
- Reviewers overwhelmingly describe the airport as scary, intimidating and unsafe. The airport is said to be filthy, with poorly-lit areas, unfriendly airport staff, homeless people both inside and outside the terminal, and plenty of ways to get in and out of the airport without being checked by security.
- Carefully guard your personal belongings at all times, both inside and outside of the airport. Watch out for luggage “porters” who will try to grab your bags and demand money in exchange for carrying them or returning them.
- There are reports of travelers being extorted for money over perceived baggage weight overages.
- Inconsistent climate in the terminal, with gated areas air-conditioned and the rest of the terminal hot and humid.
- Inefficient Immigration/Customs procedures.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As of May 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Douala Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Saffana Hotel
(2 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available ($). » Check Rates
- Afrique Hotel Douala Airport
(5 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available ($). » Check Rates
- Hotel Palace Bano
(10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available upon request. » Check Rates
- Ibis Douala
(10 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available upon request. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Douala Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Douala Airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs can be found Landside. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans.
Children’s Play Areas – Not available.
Currency Exchange – Foreign currency services are available in the public areas of both International and Domestic terminals.
Duty Free & Shopping – Cameroonian merchandise and gifts are available for purchase at souvenir shops in the airport. Duty-free shopping can be found in the International terminal.
Food & Drinks – There is one option available, the Doual’air dining room, location and hours are not known.
Information Desk – Information counters are available in the public areas of the airport, as well as roaming support staff. All staff are bilingual (French and English).
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Luggage trolleys are available.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to [email protected] and we will update this airport guide.
As of March 2018, Douala airport is served by the following airlines: Rwandair • Air France • Brussels Airlines • Camair-Co • ASky Airlines • Air Côte d’Ivoire • Arik • Allied Air • Ethiopian Airlines.
These car rental agencies offer service onsite: Autorent • Avis • Car Hire Joss.
Both private and shared-ride taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.