Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Grand Rapids Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
CNN is playing in the lobby and was quite loud but since I had no where else to go, I ended up watching it all night. – redlegsfan21
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Grand Rapids Gerald R. Ford International Airport.
What to Expect
Grand Rapids Gerald R. Ford International Airport consists of a small but modern terminal with two concourses (A and B). Eateries, newsstand/gift shops can be found on both sides of security. After these services close for the night, vending machines provide the only food and drink options, so plan accordingly. WiFi is available to help pass the time. There are no private lounges at this airport.
Where to Sleep
As of November 2018, we have only received one review from a traveller who has passed through this airport. This reviewer reported that sleep was difficult as all seating consisted of bucket seats. If you intend to spend the night in this airport, consider bringing a sleeping bag and travel mat for increased comfort. Also consider bringing earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones to drown out the constant noise from the airport TVs. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
There are no pay-per-use lounges.
There are no airline lounges.
Military Welcome Center – The center is open to military members, veterans, and their families. Amenities include flight monitors, lounge area, refreshments, charging stations and interactive maps and murals where military personnel and veterans can pinpoint where they have been stationed or deployed. Location: Landside, Grand Hall. Hours: 24 hours.
If sleeping in Grand Rapids Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Springhill Suites Grand Rapids Airport Southeast – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available on request. Use the courtesy phone at the airport to arrange pick-up. » Check Rates
- Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport 28th St – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Sleep Inn & Suites – (7 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Grand Rapids Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Grand Rapids Airport. Connect to the “FlyFord” network.
Access to free use of computer workstations is available in the airport’s business centers.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Business Centers – Comfortable seating, workstations, power outlets, and free WiFi is available in the airport’s Business Centers. Entry fee: Free. Three locations: Grand Hall • Concourse A (between Gates 4 & 6) • Concourse B (opposite MI Tap Room).
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – If you require a quiet space for nursing, there are two nursing rooms. Locations: Landside, across from Starbucks • Airside, across from Starbucks and Marketplace.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play area. Locations: Landside • Airside.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:30AM or 5:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are located near the entrance to Concourse B, and also on Concourses A and B.
- Information Desk – Location: across from baggage claim. Hours: 9:00AM – 11:00PM. Look for the airport ambassadors throughout the airport wearing bright green jackets.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available. Location: Baggage Claim, next to luggage carousels. Rate: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Mobile Charging – Mobile charging stations, equipped with AC and USB outlets, are available airside near the departure gates.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations:
- Airside: PNC and Fifth Third Bank can be found in the Marketplace • Independent ATM’s can be found on each concourse in the main hallway near the Grand Rapids Magazine Travel Store.
- Landside: PNC and Fifth Third Bank offer ATM’s behind the Visitor Information Desk.
- Currency Exchange – Not available.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – You will find a few shops selling mostly souvenirs, travel related items, newspapers, etc. Destination Michigan is the Landside shop and a Touch of Grand Rapids is in the Marketplace and each of the concourses (Airside). Open from 5:00AM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
Things to do & see
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: on the mezzanine level.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
As of November 2018, Grand Rapids airport is served by the following airlines: Allegiant Airlines • American Airlines • Delta • Frontier Airlines • Southwest Airlines • United Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Grand Rapids Airport is served by local bus route 17. At the time of this update, bus fare is $1.50 and includes one transfer. For route map and schedule, visit The Rapid website.
The following car rental agencies can be found on-site, on the 1st level of the parking garage: Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Hertz • National/Alamo.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport • Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites • Clarion Inn & Suites Airport • Comfort Inn Airport • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Grand Rapids Airport • Courtyard Grand Rapids Airport • Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids Airport • DoubleTree By Hilton Grand Rapids Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport • Red Roof Inn • Residence Inn Grand Rapids Airport • Sleep Inn & Suites • SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport • Wyndham Garden Grand Rapids Airport
Taxis are available in the ground transportation area of the terminal during airport hours of operation. All taxis are metered and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, one-way fare to downtown Grand Rapids is $38 in a regular taxis and $40 in a luxury taxi.
Last updated: 2019-03-21
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.