Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Grand Rapids Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
CNN is playing in the lobby and was quite loud but since I had no where else to go, I ended up watching it all night. – redlegsfan21
GRR Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Grand Rapids Gerald R. Ford International Airport.
What to Expect
Grand Rapids Airport (code: GRR) consists of a small but modern terminal with two concourses (A and B). Eateries, newsstand/gift shops can be found on both sides of security. After these services close for the night, vending machines provide the only food and drink options, so plan accordingly. WiFi is available to help pass the time. There are no private lounges at this airport.
Sleeping in Grand Rapids Airport
Sleeping in Grand Rapids airport has been described at difficult due to the uncomfortable bucket seats. If you intend to spend the night in this airport, consider bringing a sleeping bag and travel mat for increased comfort. Also consider bringing earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones to drown out the constant noise from the airport TVs. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the guide below or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information. For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Grand Rapids Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Grand Rapids Airport:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport 28th St – Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Grand Rapids Airport – Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Springhill Suites Grand Rapids Airport Southeast – No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Grand Rapids Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
There are no pay-per-use lounges.
There are no airline lounges.
Military Welcome Center – The center is open to military members, veterans, and their families. Amenities include flight monitors, lounge area, refreshments, charging stations and interactive maps and murals where military personnel and veterans can pinpoint where they have been stationed or deployed. Location: Landside, Grand Hall. Hours: 24 hours.
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Grand Rapids Airport. Connect to the “FlyFord” network.
Access to free use of computer workstations is available in the airport’s business centers.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Business Centers – Comfortable seating, workstations, power outlets, and free WiFi is available in the airport’s Business Centers. Entry fee: Free. Three locations: Grand Hall • Concourse A (between Gates 4 & 6) • Concourse B (opposite MI Tap Room).
- Conference Rooms are available for rent.
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Postal Services – Mail and package drop boxes are located in the front lobby behind the visitor information desk.
- Baby Care Facilities – If you require a quiet space for nursing, there are two nursing rooms. Locations: Landside, across from Starbucks • Airside, across from Starbucks and Marketplace.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to one of the children’s play area. Locations: Landside • Airside.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:30AM or 5:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are located near the entrance to Concourse B, and also on Concourses A and B.
- Information Desk – Location: across from baggage claim. Hours: 9:00AM – 11:00PM. Look for the airport ambassadors throughout the airport wearing bright green jackets.
- Baggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage carts are available. Location: Baggage Claim, next to luggage carousels. Rate: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Mobile Charging – Mobile charging stations, equipped with AC and USB outlets, are available airside near the departure gates.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations:
- Airside: PNC and Fifth Third Bank can be found in the Marketplace • Independent ATM’s can be found on each concourse in the main hallway near the Grand Rapids Magazine Travel Store.
- Landside: PNC and Fifth Third Bank offer ATM’s behind the Visitor Information Desk.
- Currency Exchange – Not available.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – You will find a few shops selling mostly souvenirs, travel related items, newspapers, etc. Destination Michigan is the Landside shop and a Touch of Grand Rapids is in the Marketplace and each of the concourses (Airside). Open from 5:00AM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
Smoking and the use of e-cigarettes are prohibited inside the terminal and within 10 feet of entrances to the building. Smoking is permitted outside the terminal in designated areas.
Things to do & see
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: on the mezzanine level.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according to the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Grand Rapids airport is served by the following airlines: Allegiant Airlines • American Airlines • Delta Air Lines • Frontier Airlines • Southwest Airlines • United Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Grand Rapids Airport is served by local bus route 27 (Mon – Fri). At the time of this update, bus fare is $1.75 and includes one transfer. For route map and schedule, visit The Rapid website.
The following car rental agencies can be found on-site, on the 1st level of the parking garage: Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Hertz • National/Alamo. Visit our travel partner at Tripadvisor to search for car rentals deals.
Several area hotels provide airport shuttle service: Baymont by Wyndham Grand Rapids Airport • Comfort Inn Airport • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Grand Rapids Airport • DoubleTree By Hilton Grand Rapids Airport • Econo Lodge & Suites • Hampton Inn & Suites Grand Rapids Airport / 28th St • Holiday Inn Express & Suites Grand Rapids – Airport North • Sleep Inn & Suites • Tru by Hilton Grand Rapids Airport • Wyndham Garden Grand Rapids Airport.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Taxis are available in the ground transportation area. All taxis are metered and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, one-way fare to downtown Grand Rapids is $38 in a regular taxis and $40 in a luxury taxi.
Last updated: 2022-10-31
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, is subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers, and their websites. We are not representatives of any of the above-mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.