Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Hannover Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Being tired the brats run amok all over the place, wailing and kicking up a fuss….There is a general noise level that makes even hardened airport sleepers unable to catch a nap. -t_maia
HAJ Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Hannover Airport.
What to Expect
Hannover Airport (code: HAJ) consists of three terminals (Terminals A, B and C), connected landside. A wide variety of shops and restaurants are available, mostly in Terminals A and B. 24-hour dining is available. Free WiFi is available to help pass the time. Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
Many travelers who spend the night at the airport choose to do so to catch an early flight, or due to arriving at the airport late at night during public transportation off hours. Seat have arm-rests for the most part, so you should be prepared to sleep on the cold floor. Have a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out the airport’s bright lights and loud noises. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See locations in the Airport Hotels section below or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in Hannover Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Leonardo Hotel – (3 minute walk from the airport) Located directly in front of the airport terminals. Free roundtrip airport shuttle is available 24-hours (upon request).» Check Rates
- Maritim Airport Hotel – (4 minute walk from the airport) This hotel is 50 meters from Terminals B and C. Day rooms are offered 9:00AM to 6:00PM. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Hannover Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Karl-Jatho Lounge – Location: Terminal A, Landside, between Terminal A and Terminal B. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Hannover Club Lounge – Location: Terminal C, Landside, Departure Level, 3rd Floor. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounge listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
Lufthansa Business Lounge – Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gate A6.
Free WiFi is available at Hannover Airport for 3 hours. Connect to the “[email protected] ” network. Additional free WiFi access points are located in McDonalds, Marche Bakery, the Lufthansa Lounge.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
If you are travelling with young children, you might be interested in these services:
- Baby changing facilities
- Landside: Terminal B (departures level, opposite Sparkasse) • Terminal B (departures level, Airport Plaza) • Terminal C (departures level) • Terminal C (arrivals level, opposite Kiddieland).
- Airside: Terminal A (waiting area) • Terminal C (waiting area, 2 locations) • Terminal C (baggage claim).
- Children’s Play Areas – Location: Terminal C • Terminal B, Arrivals • Airport Plaza, between Terminals A and B.
- Strollers – Available for a refundable fee of 1,00€. The strollers can found found on the departures level in all Terminals.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: McDonald’s (in Airport Plaza, Departures level between Terminals A and B).
- Supermarket – If you need to pick up groceries on your way home or to your destination in Hannover, stop at Edeka Aktiv Markt. A wide variety of hot and cold sandwiches, take-away meals and general groceries are available. Hours: 6:30AM – 8:00PM (Daily).
- Information Desk – The Airport Service Center can assist you with general airport information, tax refund processing, luggage storage, and more. Location: Arrival Level, Terminal B. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Store your luggage at the following per item rates: €3.00 for up to 3 hours • €6.00 for up to 24 hours. Higher rates apply for over sized and odd-shaped items. Location: Terminal B, Arrivals level (Contact the Airport Service Center team for assistance). Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Trolleys – Information not available.
- Pharmacy – Airport Apotheke – Location: Terminal A, Departures level, between Terminals A and B, Landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 7:00PM (Mon – Fri) • 8:00AM – 3:00PM (Sat) • Closed Sunday.
- Mobile Charging – Electrical sockets can be found in the public area, the dining facilities and the secure area of the airport.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, operated by Sparkasse Hannover Bank, are available 24 hours a day. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Location: unknown.
- Banking Services – Sparkasse Hannover offers full-service banking in the airport. Location: unknown. Hours: 9:00AM – 6:00PM.
- Currency Exchange – There is a Travelex located in the Airport Plaza, Departures Level, between Terminals A and B. Hours: 5:45AM – 9:15PM.
- Prayer Room – Yes. Location: Arrivals, connecting hall between Terminals A and B. Hours: 24 hours. There is also a Muslim Prayer Room available. Location: Arrivals, connecting hall between Terminals B and C. Hours: 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Massage Chairs – Available both landside and airside on departure levels. Rates: Not known.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Heinemann Duty Free store is available, along with a three gift shops and a convenience store.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Hair Salon – Friseur Apel. Location: Unknown. Hours: 10:00AM – 7:00PM (Mon – Fri, Sun). Closed on Saturday.
- Showers – Not available.
- Smoking – Smoking is allowed in designated smoking areas outside all terminals as well as in designated smoking booths throughout the airport.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour. Tour is available for groups only.
- Casino – Spiel-in Casino – Location: Arrival Level Terminal C. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Observation Deck – A 360° panoramic terrace can be accessed via the glass elevators to the Hannover Airport Plaza in the connector link between Terminals A and B. Rate: € 2.50 (adult) and € 1.50 (child).
- World of Aviation – The “World of Aviation” in an interactive exhibition featuring a flight simulator. Rate: € 4.80 (adults) and € 3.50 (child). The flight simulator is € 149.00
The airport is open 24 hours.
Hannover airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aeroflot • Air Berlin • Air Cairo • Air France • Belavia • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Bulgarian Air Charter • Condor • Corendon Airlines • Lufthansa • Eurowings • KLM • NIKI • Norwegian Air • Nouvelair • Olympus Airways • Pegasus Airlines • SAS • SunExpress • Swiss • TUI • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • Vueling • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Bus 470 runs several times per hour between the airport and Langenhagen Zentrum Station. The airport bus stop is located between the Maritim Hotel and multi-story Car Park 3 (near Terminal C). For timetables and fares, go to the Hannoversche Verkehrsbetriebe website.
Car rental services are available in the Arrivals area between Terminals A and B. The following agencies are located onsite: Avis/Budget • Alamo/Enterprise/National • Europcar • Hertz/Thrifty • Sixt • Volkswagen Rent A Car.
Taxis are readily available outside of Arrivals. Total trip time between the airport and central Hannover is about 20 minutes in one direction.
Hannover Airport is connected by rail to central Hannover via S5 Suburban Train (Hannover Airport Line). Trains run between the airport’s S-Bahn station (located in Terminal C) and Hannover Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station) every 30 minutes from 3:35AM – 1:05AM. Total trip time in one direction is 18 minutes. For schedules and fare information, visit the Deutsche Bahn AG website.
Last updated: 2020-06-17
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.