Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Ho Chi Minh City Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I had to bribe my way out of a few situations in the baggage screening room. They will discretely bribe you for money. Once, I gave this guy some cash, he opened his wallet to put it away and I saw his wallet full of different currencies (US $, Canadian $, Euros). I’m certain bribes happen often. – Nicole
SGN Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Ho Chi Minh City Tan Son Nhat International Airport.
What to Expect
- Ho Chi Minh City Airport (Code: SGN) consists of two terminals: international and a domestic. T1 has been fairly recently renovated and is generally nicer than T2’s facilities.
- Recent improvements have made security lines better than the past, and the staff doesn’t take issue with overnight guests.
- Flights depart around the clock, so travellers are around all night.
- Restaurants close by 11pm.
- Free WiFi is available to help pass the time.
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass to a couple airport lounges; one has showers available. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for location and hours.
Sleeping in Ho Chi Minh City Airport
- Landside in the International Terminal has the most space for sleeping. The first floor doesn’t have much seating but it is quiet. The third floor’s Wellwishers Gallery has much more seating, and seems that many travellers overnight in this area – it is noisier though (Trvthseeker, March 2013).
- There is sleep zone in the International terminal with sleep chairs and paid sleep pods. See Rest Zones in the guide below.
- Once cafes and restaurants close, travellers had success moving chairs and benches around for more comfortable resting – some even saw airport staff doing this too.
- The airport is hot and the air conditioner seems weak.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide airport transportation. See locations in the Airport Hotels section below or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. We will start updating all of our guides in October 2021. To help us with this massive update, you can add or update information or write a review and submit photos and airport tips.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Tan Son Nhat Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Airport Hotels & Sleep Pods
If sleeping in the airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near Ho Chi Minh City airport:
- Sleep Pods – Location: International, Airside, 2nd floor hallway, near 21 – 22. There are 24 free sleep chairs and 10 paid sleep boxes. The sleep boxes are 4 square meters/ room and come equipped with beds, pillows, drinks, towels, lamps, power outlets, etc. Price: USD 7/ hour. Extra cost: USD 4 for up to 30 mins, USD 7 for 30-60 mins.
- Golden View Hotel – (4 minutes from the airport) Airport pick up service is available upon request, $35.00 USD each way. » Check Rates
- ibis Saigon Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service is available. » Check Rates
- Sunflowers Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Airport pick up service is available ($). » Check Rates
- Park Royal Saigon – (5 minutes from the airport). Airport transfer service is available upon request. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Ho Chi Minh City Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Le Saigonnais Business Lounge – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, in front of Gate 11. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Passes Orchid Lounge – Location: International Terminal, Airside, 2nd Floor, near Gate 9. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (USD 30 for 3 hours) • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs.
Lotus Lounge 1 – Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 1st Floor, near Gate 7. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (VND 350,000 or US$ 17 for 3 hours).
Lotus Lounge 2 – Location: International Terminal, Airside, 3rd Floor. Showers are available. Pay at the Door (USD 30 for 3 hours).
Free unlimited WiFi is available at Tan Son Nhat Airport in the Domestic and International terminals. Connect to the “FreeWifi TanSonNhat AirPort” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Post Office – Location: located beside D2 entrance Domestic terminal or via the TIA Information Counters at International terminal and Domestic terminal. If you want to send letters and postcards to friends and family you can send postcards from the airport via the information desks.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Children’s Play Area – Location: International Terminal, Airside, near gate 26-27. The play area offers foam carpet, a play house, games and more.
Food & Drinks
- Drinking Water – Thirsty? Drinking water fountains are available free of charge. Locations:
- Domestic Terminal – Airside, opposite gates 5, 10 and 16.
- International Terminal – Airside, opposite gates 15, 16 and 18 • baggage carousel No.1 and 6 (Arrival Hall), transit/transfer area.
- Food & Drinks – A reader tells us there are 24-food options before and after security. (June 2019)
- Information Counters – Various locations. Vietnamese and English are spoken.
- Domestic Terminal – Check-in, opposite C and D Island. (Hours: 5:00AM – 8:00PM).
- International Terminal – Main Hall (Hours: 7:30AM – 12:00AM) • Check-in area opposite C and D Island (Hours: 7:30AM – 12:00AM) • Lounge area Gate 10-14. (Hours: 7:30AM – 12:00AM).
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available. You cannot take them through security, but the airport provides smaller trolleys Airside as well.
- Baggage Wrapping – Various locations. Price: VND 80.000 – 100.000 (depend on the baggage size).
- Domestic Terminal – near D2 entrance, opposite the check-in area row A & B and escalator of departures area
- International Terminal – near D1 and D2 entrance.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Location: International Arrivals Terminal, ground floor, near by column 13 & 14. Hours: open 24 hours. Rates: under 10 hours (VND 27,500 /piece per hour) • over 10 hours (VND 275,000 /piece per day).
- Medical Services – In case of emergency, contact the hotline (08) 38 485 383 – 3408. All medical office are open 24 hours.
- Domestic Terminal – Lobby, near D2 entrance. Phone number: (08) 38 485 383 – 3307
- International Terminal – Boarding gate 18 • Boarding gate 17 • Arrivals Hall, A2 Entrance, next to Mai Linh Taxi service counters.
- Mobile Charging – Free charging stations can be found in in the Domestic Terminal at the following locations: D1 entrance, opposite Vietnam Airlines self check-in kiosk • Vietjet Air waiting area, opposite Gate 16-17 • 1st floor, opposite security screening check area • 1st floor waiting area, opposite Gate 10-11 and 11-12.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Machines are operated by Vietinbank, HSBC, Agribank, MB Bank, Shinhan Bank, ANZ, Eximbank, Vietcombank, Commonwealth Bank, Citibank, BIDV. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans.
- Domestic terminal – There are 6 machines on the ground floor opposite the D2 entrance, Departure Hall and 7 machines on the ground floor opposite the D2 entrance.
- International terminal – There are 13 machines are located behind D1 and D2 entrance, Departure Hall.
- Banking Services – VietinBank at Domestic Terminal, opposite D2 entrance.
- Currency Exchange – Various locations in the International Terminal: Airside, near gates 17 and 18 • Landside, opposite check-in area row D, (Departure Hall) • On the left outside the immigration counters (Arrival Hall) • Lobby platform of Arrival Hall.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zone – There are two relaxation areas available for passengers to rest while waiting for boarding time.
- Relaxing Zone – Location: International Terminal, Airside, 2nd floor hallway, near gate 6-9. 12 chairs. Price: USD 5/ hour (one free soft drink).
- Sleeping Zone – Location: International, Airside, 2nd floor hallway, near 21 – 22. There are 24 free sleep chairs and 10 paid sleep boxes. The sleep boxes are 4 square meters/ room and come equipped with beds, pillows, drinks, towels, lamps, power outlets, etc. Price: USD 7/ hour. Extra cost: USD 4 for up to 30 mins, USD 7 for 30-60 mins.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping -There is Duty Free available at the airport. Hours: unknown. There are also a small number of other shops available.
- VAT Refund – Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 2nd Floor, near gate 6-9. Hours: 8:00AM – 10:00PM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Free showers are available in the International Terminal, Airside, opposite Gate 25. There are 2 for male and 2 for female passengers. The Lotus Lounge in the International Terminal also has showers. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Domestic Terminal – Massages are offered at Sen Viet Spa – Location: Airside, opposite gate 10.
- International Terminal – A foot spa is located airside on the 3rd Floor and Relaxing lounge is located airside on 2nd Floor near gate 6-9.
- Smoking Rooms
- Domestic Terminal – Airside, Departure Hall, opposite Gate 14
- International Terminal – Airside, Departure Hall, opposite Gates 15 and 18.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Ho Chi Minh City airport is served by the following airlines: Aeroflot • Air China • Air France • Air Asia • Air New Zealand • All Nippon Airways • Asiana Airlines • Bamboo Airways • Bangkok Airways • Cambodia Angkor Air • Cathay Dragon • Cebu Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern Airlines • Chongqing Airlines • Emirates • EVA Air • Hong Kong Airlines • Japan Airlines • Jeju Air • Jetstar Pacific • Korean Air • Lao Airlines • LOT • Mahan Air • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Air • Mandarin Airlines • Nok Air • Philippines Airlines • Qatar Airways • Royal Brunei Airlines • Scoot • Sichuan Airlines • Singapore Airlines • Thai AirAsia • Thai Airways • Turkish Airlines • T’Way Air • VietJet Air • Vietnam Airlines • Xiamen Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Buses from the airport to Ho Chi Minh City center and vice versa pick up and drop off at:
- Domestic Terminal: Column 18 of the taxi stand.
- International Terminal: Column 15 of the taxi stand.
Bus 152 (International Terminal – Domestic Terminal – Hoang Van Thu – Nguyen Van Troi – Nam Ky Khoi Nghia – Cach Mang Thang Tam– Ben Thanh Market – Tran Hung Dao – Trung Son Residential Area), operating from 5:45 am to 18:15 pm. Waiting time is 12-21 mins. Rate: 6,000 VND.
Bus 109 (International Terminal – Domestic Terminal – Hoang Van Thu – Nguyen Van Troi – Nam Ky Khoi Nghia – Ham Nghi– Ben Thanh Market –Pham Ngu Lao – 23/9 Park), operating from 5:45 am to 1:30 am (next day). Waiting time is 30 mins. Rate: 12,000 VND (for routes less then 5 kms) and 20,000 VND (for routes more than 5kms).
Shuttle Bus 49 (International Terminal – Domestic Terminal – Hoang Van Thu – Nguyen Van Troi – Nam Ky Khoi Nghia – Le Duan – Dong Khoi – Hai Ba Trung – Ham Nghi – Ben Thanh Market), operating from 5:15 am to 2:00 am (next day). Waiting time is 30 mins. Rate: 40,000 VND. Pick up and drop off passengers at hotels in District 1, 3.
There are four companies operating at Tan Son Nhat airport: Sastco • Song Viet • Acvuni • Phu Nhuan transportation company. Their counters are located on the right outside exit doors, arrival hall of International Terminal.
See Airport Hotels above.
Many taxi companies serve the airport; however, readers have reported that Vinasun Taxi and Mai Linh Taxi offer the most reputable services. Be sure to keep an eye on the meter and take a picture of the taxi license.
Leaving the Domestic Terminal:
After exiting A2 entrance, cross the road to the Taxi and Bus Waiting Hall (opposite domestic terminal) and board taxis at column 3 to 13.
- Passengers with disabilities, pregnancy, elderly and children can take a priority taxi at column 1 and 2.
- Passengers with membership card, taxi coupons should contact taxi company staff at column 14 to 17.
- Passengers can also go to the Taxi ticket counter to get coupon at A2 entrance and column 7 at Domestic Arrivals Hall.
Leaving the International Terminal:
After exiting A1 and A2 entrance, passenger may take a taxi at column 1 to 3 at Taxi stands area (On the left of international terminal).
- Passengers with disabilities, pregnancy, elderly and children can take a priority taxi at column 6.
- Passengers with membership card, taxi coupons should contact taxi company staff at column 1 to 4.
- Passengers can also go to the Taxi ticket counter to get coupon at the A1 and A2 entrance.
Last updated: 2020-10-19
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.