Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Indianapolis Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Security seemed to tip-toe past me and the cleaning staff detoured around my cozy sleeping alcove apparently out of respect for myself. – Cam
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us about their time at Indianapolis International Airport.
What to Expect
Indianapolis International Airport is comprised of two modern concourses connected by a central ticketing/check-in area. After clearing security, passengers can move between the two concourses without re-screening via an airside walkway. The airport hosts about two dozen eateries and an equal number of shops, with at least two eateries and one convenience store offering 24-hour service. The airport offers free WiFi, and some power outlets for re-charging mobile devices. For additional comfort, economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first-class airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
Airport staff and security are described as being accommodating to overnight sleepers, though passengers are restricted to the landslide once security checkpoints close down for the night. There are comfortable couches located throughout the airport, and the terminal lounge and baggage claim are both recommended due in part to the comfortable seating. The airport can get cold and noisy, so earplugs/noise-cancelling headphones and warm clothes/travel blanket are recommended. There is no onsite hotel, but there are some hotels within a quick shuttle ride away. See Airport Hotels below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Airline Lounges (members only)
USO Lounge – The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to active members of the US military and their families. Location: lower level of the terminal near Bag Claim 3 in Room 10T.109. [ more info ]
If sleeping in Indianapolis Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Indianapolis Airport – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. Airport pick-up is at Ground Transportation Zone 2. » Check Rates
- Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Airport – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. Use the courtesy phone in the airport to call the shuttle. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Indianapolis Airport – (10 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Indianapolis Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Indianapolis airport. Connect to the “IND PUBLIC WIFI” network.
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailbox. Locations: Landside, Baggage Claim Area and Check-in.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Nursing Mother’s Room. Three locations: Room 09T.303A, landside, near Ticket Island #8 (north side of Ticketing Hall) • Room 04A.303, airside, Concourse A, near the International Arrivals Area, just past the Starbucks • Room 04B.303, airside, Concourse B, opposite Gate B5 (near the Camden Food Co.).
- Walking Path – When your idea of airport exercise doesn’t include tight connections and frantic running to the next gate, enjoy your time at the airport with a more leisurely stroll or power walk along one of the designated walking paths. IND Airport has partnered with the American Heart Association to create designated walking paths around the airport. One ¼ mile path is available landside in the Ticketing Hall, and each concourse has a ½ mile path.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Subway (IND Service Plaza) and Circle K Convenience Store (IND Service Plaza).
- Digital Information Kiosks – These easy-to-use touch screen displays can get you directly in touch with local hotels, restaurants, attractions and other businesses. Look for them in Baggage Claim, near the main escalators.
- Information Desk – The Guest Services desk offers information about airport services and local tourism, maps and brochures, paging, lost and found, business services, notary and more. Hours: 5:00 AM – 11:00PM (Sun – Fri) • 5:00AM – 9:00PM (Sat). Look for the airport ambassadors throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- CPR Training – Use your spare time to learn how to save a life! A “Hands-Only CPR Training” kiosk offers an informative video, practice session, and 30-second CPR test on a rubber mannequin. Location: Airside, near Gate A8.
- Mobile Charging – A reader tells us that 6 free mobile phone charging stations are available landside. You can find them in the restaurant area, across from guest services/by 500 Grill. (July 2019)
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, oeprated by Chase Bank, are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside. There is an international ATM machine located beside Travelex.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex offers foreign exchange services. Location: Baggage Claim.
Prayer & Meditation
- Meditation Room – The Haflich Meditation Room offers a peaceful interfaith environment for prayer and meditation. Location: Ticketing Hall (south end), landside. Hours: Open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Cots – In the event of major flight cancellations due to extreme weather, cots may be set-up. Ask an airport employee for more details.
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping -Duty Free is available as well as a good variety of shops including convenience style stores selling newspapers, snacks and drinks. Hours: vary by location with some open as early as 4:30AM.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Barbershop – Hair Departure Barber Shop. Location: Civic Plaza, just past the Ticketing Hall.
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa – EnRoute Spa offers full body massages, manicures, pedicures, and more. Two airside locations are available: Near Gates A14 (limited services). Hours: 9:00AM – 9:00PM except Saturdays when it closes at 6:30PM • B6 (full service spa). Hours: 9:00AM – 8:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according to the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
As of May 2019, Indianapolis airport is served by the following airlines: Air Canada • Alaska Air • Allegiant Airlines • American Airlines • Delta • Frontier Airlines • Southwest Airlines • Spirit • United Airlines • Vacation Express.
IndyGo Route 8 serves the airport in a regular bus service to and from downtown, via Washington Street. Bus fare is $1.75. For route map, schedule and fares, visit the IndyGo website.
Car rental desks are available in the Ground Transportation Center, located on the 1st floor of the parking garage. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty. ACE Rent A Car provides free shuttle service from the Ground Transportation Center (Zone 1) to its off-site location.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Clarion Hotel Hotel Indianapolis Airport • Comfort Suites Indianapolis Airport • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson Indianapolis Airport South • Courtyard Indianapolis Airport • Crowne Plaza Indianapolis Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Indianapolis Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Indianapolis-Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Indianapolis Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Indianapolis W – Airport Area • Hyatt Place Indianapolis Airport • La Quinta Inn Indianapolis Airport Lynhurst • Ramada Indianapolis Airport • Residence Inn Indianapolis Airport • Wingate By Wyndham Indianapolis Airport-Rockville Rd. • Wyndham Indianapolis West
The following companies provide shuttle service to/from the airport: Go Express (express service to downtown Indianapolis), Miller Trailways (Anderson, Muncie and Ball State University), Lafayette Limo (Lafayette and Purdue University), Bloomington Shuttle Service Inc. (Bloomington and Indiana University) and Star America (Bloomington, Indiana University, Lafayette and Purdue University).
Taxis are readily available at the lower level curb outside of Baggage Claim. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Minimum fare is $15 for all fares leaving the airport. Fares must not exceed what is shown on the meter, so if traveling outside of Indianapolis, negotiate the fare with the driver before starting your journey.
Last updated: 2019-05-24
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.