Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Islamabad Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
upright plastic lumbar devastating ‘chairs’ add to your foul mood after negotiating the carnage to actually end up in the departure lounge. – Col. Stewart
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Islamabad Airport.
What to Expect
- A crowded and chaotic single-terminal international airport with mediocre amenities. One reviewer recommends bringing patience, humor, tissues, and hand sanitizer!
- The security here is tight and questionable – many travellers suggest arriving earlier than normal, and report being asked for handouts, money, etc.
- Travellers generally report feeling scammed or neglected at this airport.
- Rude airport staff and a lack of overall customer service. Travellers generally report feeling scammed or neglected at this airport.
- Several 24-hour eateries are available Landside and Airside. See Food & Drinks in the airport guide below.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- A new airport is scheduled to openfor many years. The latest date is unknown.
Where to Sleep
- We have very few reports from travellers who have spent the night here. If you plan to do so, have a backup plan.
- Chairs are few and very uncomfortable.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are a few hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Showers are available in the paid lounge. Economy class travelers can buy a pass to relax in one airport lounge; showers are available. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Islamabad Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Regent – (10 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available. » Check Rates
- Pearl Continental Hotel – (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request (via email). » Check Rates
- Royalton Hotel – (15 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available upon request, PKR 1000 each way. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Islamabad Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Islamabad Airport in all terminal lounges, including International and Domestic Departures, and the Rawal Lounge.
- Post Office – Pakistan Post is located in the terminal, near the airport mosque and also at the Cargo Complex of BBIAP.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Airport Canteens (near the car park by the mosque) • Dunkin’ Donuts (International Departures lounge) • Mr. Cod (International/Domestic Departures long-term parking lot by the Fast Track building) • Pizza Hut (car park by the Fast Track building) • Rawal Restaurant (1st Floor) • Sareena Refreshment Counter (Rawal Lounge) • Snack Bar (International & Domestic Departure Lounges) • The Elbow Room (International & Domestic Departure Lounges) • TR Shop (Concourse Hall).
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge for arriving and departing passengers.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Luggage Wrapping – Crystal Safety luggage wrapping is available for Rs. 200/- per bag. Location: Landside in both Domestic and International Departures areas.
- Medical Services – Urgent and emergency medical care is available at the Airport Medical Centre is located next to the airport mosque. You can go there directly or seek assistance from Information Desk personnel, who will contact medical staff for you.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available 24-hours a day. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans.
- Banking Services – There are three banks in the Concourse Hall, and a second National Bank of Pakistan located in the International Arrivals Lounge. Hours: All banks open from 9:00AM – 5:00PM.
- Currency Exchange – PBS Exchange, National Bank, Habib Bank and State Bank Booth offer foreign currency exchange available at the International and Domestic Terminals. Hours: All money changers are open 24 hours.
- Prayer Rooms – Separate men’s and women’s prayer rooms are available. Locations: Domestic and International Departures lounges, International Arrivals and the Business Class Lounge (Arrivals/Departures area) Hours: Open 24 hours.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in the International Departures and Arrivals lounges. A few other shops can be found in the International Departures lounge and Concourse Hall.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Freshen up before your flight. Showers are available at the CIP Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Islamabad airport is served by the following airlines: PIA • Air Blue • Emirates • Gulf Air • Kuwait Airways • Qatar Airways • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Shaheen Air • China Southern • Thai Airlines • Etihad Airways • Turkish Airlines • Oman Air • Air Arabia • Safi Air • Air China.
Several local bus and minibus routes serve Islamabad Airport.
Car rentals companies are available onsite. At the time of this January 2018 update, no further information is known.
Taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport. You will usually have the choice of a non-air conditioned car (Yellow Taxis) and a more comfortable, more expensive, air conditioned vehicle (Radio Taxis). There are no meters, so negotiate a fare with the driver before starting your journey.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.