Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Katowice Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Had a good 5 hours of shut-eye – woke up by myself at around seven. -clint
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Katowice Airport.
What to Expect
Katowice Airport has three small terminals: Terminal A serves non-Schengen zone departures, Terminal B handles Schengen zone departures, and the recently-built Terminal C oversees all arrivals. Travellers report intense security procedures. Facilities include a few shops and eateries in Terminals A and B, some of which may be open 24 hours. There may be free showers, for freshening up. WiFi is available in two airport lounges, which economy class passengers can pay to enter. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for location and access information.
- A small international airport with two departures terminals (Terminals A and B) for Schengen and non-Schengen passengers and one arrivals terminal (Terminal C). A variety of shopping and dining options are available, with some open 24 hours!
- Invasive and heavy-handed security checkpoints. One reviewer claims his camera equipment was broken and film ruined during a forced x-ray examination.
- Clean facilities, including the restrooms.
- WiFi is is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
Some travellers recommend sleeping in the Observation Deck, but others describe cold temperatures, metal benches, and too much light and noise for decent overnight sleeping. Others prefer Floor 1, which has quieter nooks and some armrest-free seating, Terminal B’s Floor 2 that has long, flat seats. Wherever you land, a sleeping bag, eye mask, and noise cancelling headphones or earplugs may prove useful. For uninterrupted sleep, nearby hotels offer shuttle service. See our Airport Hotels section below for more info.
- There are mixed reviews on sleeping in the Observation Deck. Some reviewers complained of chilly temps, cold benches, too much sunlight and noise from the repeated overhead announcements and the cleaning crew. One reviewer recommended sleeping in the area outside of the Observation Deck. Either way, have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy, as well as a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, to improve your chances of a good night’s sleep!
- Some reviewers found the 1st floor preferable for sleeping, with quieter, darker areas and armrest-free seating available.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Business Lounge (Schengen) – Location: Terminal B, Airside, 1st Floor. International Non-Schengen and Schengen flights only. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Katowice Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- DeSilva Inn – (2 minutes from the airport) The hotel has a 24-hour airport shuttle bus. The service is free if you are parking your car at the hotel; otherwise, you pay 20PLN each way. Call the hotel at +48 32 393 88 88 after collecting your luggage. » Check Rates
- Pensjonat Iskra – (5 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour roundtrip airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel Iskra by Katowice Airport – (6 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour roundtrip airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Hotel Wilga by Katowice Airport – (6 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour roundtrip airport shuttle is available. Once you have collected your luggage, call +48 32 381 05 95 for pick-up and head to Terminal A, departures in front of the main entrance, the drivers car will have the hotel name on it. Service is free one way and 10.00PLN the other way. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Katowice Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Katowice Airport inside the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ] At the time of this update, we did not have any information about WiFi availability elsewhere in the terminal. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Art in the Airport – Check out the art at the Sky Gallery while you wait for your flight. Location: Terminal B, Level 2, in the Observation Deck. See “Observation Deck” below.
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Terminal B, Ground Floor, Landside • Terminal B, 1st Floor, Airside
Baby Care Facilities – If you are travelling with an infant, there are baby care rooms for breastfeeding and diaper-changing. Additionally, baby changing facilities can be found in some washrooms.
Banking Services – PKO Bank provides full-service banking inside the airport. Location: Terminal B, 1st Floor.
Chapel – Location: Terminal B, Landside, 2nd Floor
Currency Exchange – There are several currency exchange offices in Terminal A and B. Hours: unknown.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available airside on the Departures level of Terminals A and B. A few newsstands and gift shops are available. If you need to pick up groceries on your way home to your destination in Katowice, stop at 1 Minute Grocery Store, located landside on the ground floor of Terminal B.
Fast Track Service – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes are given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Fee: 50 PLN, payable online or at the Business Lounge.
Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, we are unable to confirm the availability of any 24-hour dining options. Food options:
- Terminal A, Landside: Coffee House • Bistro • SO! Coffee • Pizza & Salad.
- Terminal A, Airside: Travel Chef
- Terminal B, Landside: Chief’s Restaurant • SO! Coffee • Kebab & Salad
- Terminal B, Airside: Flying Bistro • Voyage.
Information Desk – Location: landside, ground floor. Hours: open 24 hours
Kid’s Zone – Let your kids burn off energy before a flight! KidZone offers a play area for children over age 3, and a baby-care room. Location: Terminal B, landside, 1st floor.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Medical Services – If you feel unwell or injure yourself, a medical center can be found. Location: Terminal A, Ground Floor. Hours: unknown.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Observation Deck – Enjoy a bird’s eye view of the airport complex from the longest observation deck in Poland, along with a scale model of the airport and works of art at the Sky Gallery. Location: Terminal B, Level 2. Hours: Open 24 hours. Rate: 1 PLN coin, payable at the turnstile.
Pharmacy – Apteka Pharmacy – Location: Terminal B, Landside, Ground Level. Hours: 4:00AM – 9:30PM.
Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from airport’s post office. Location: Terminal A, Landside, Ground Floor.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – A reader tells us that there are free showers, but we have been unable to confirm this information or possible location. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Katowice and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there is a ITAKA Travel Agent at the airport (Terminal B, Ground Floor) that can probably be of assistance.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of December 2018, Katowice airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Air Cairo • Air Contractors • Arkia • Bulgaria Air • Corendon Airlines • El Al Israel Airlines • Ellinair • Enter Air • Eurowings • Farnair Europe • FlyEgypt • Israir Airlines • LOT Polish Airlines • Lufthansa • Nouvelair • Pegasus Airlines • Ryanair • Small Planet Airlines • SprintAir • Sun d’Or International Airlines • Sunexpress • Tailwind Airlines • TNT Airways • Travel Service • TUIfly • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The airport is well connected to the bus system offering passengers a variety of onward travel options. Whether you are trying to get to the Katowice Centre, Krakow or a the railway station, there is probably a bus available. For more details, visit the bus transportation page on the Katowice Airport website.
The following car rental agencies offer services onsite: Jolocar • Silvercar • iCar • GT-Cars • Odkyj-Auto • Sixt • Soro World.
Taxis are available at the ground transportation area of the airport terminal. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
Last updated: 2019-04-14
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.