Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Kigali Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
They are constructing a lot but maintenance is bad. Escalators don’t work anymore.
– a traveller (2016)
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kigali International Airport.
What to Expect
- A work in progress, this airport is currently undergoing construction. Facilities are non-functioning or non-existent, shopping and dining options are currently very limited.
- Long, slow lines for check-in and security checkpoints.
- Travelers cannot enter the airport without flight ticket or boarding pass.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
- Free WiFi is is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As of May 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Kigali Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- La Palisse Hotel – (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
- Havugimana Israel Guest Centre – (5 minutes from the airport) 24-hour airport transfers are available. ($) » Check Rates
- Civitas Hotel – (5 minutes from the airport) Free airport pick-up available upon request. » Check Rates
- Chez Lando – (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport shuttle is available upon request. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kigali Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Kigali Airport in the waiting area of the airport.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? An ATM is available; however, several travellers have reported that it does not accept international cards. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans.
Food & Drink – There is a cafe located landside, hours are not known.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, Kigali airport is served by the following airlines: KLM • Turkish Airlines • Air Canada • Brussels Airlines • Ethiopian Airlines • Qatar Airways • Rwandair.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Travel like the locals do! If your load is light, you can travel at a fraction of the price of a taxi by taking a “matatu” (shared-ride minibus), which pass along a road just a short walk from the airport terminal.
Taxis and moto-taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected]