Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Kuala Lumpur Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Long cushioned benches were nice and we pushed a couple of these together in a more remote area to make a ‘double bed’ – lisadridenour
KUL Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Kuala Lumpur International Airport.
What to Expect
Kuala Lumpur Airport (code: KUL) is a large, and busy, global hub with two terminals: KLIA 1 and KLIA2. KLIA 1 has three areas: the main terminal, the contact pier and Satellite Terminal A, which is connected by train. KLIA 2 is smaller and caters to low cost carriers. It is located 6km from KLIA 1, and you can connect to it by a free shuttle bus or by train.
The airport has a decent range of amenities – including showers, TV and movie lounges, rest zones and free WiFi. There are a number of restaurants; however, only the convenience stores seem to stay open overnight. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges, many of which have showers, that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Kuala Lumpur Airport
KLIA is generally quite popular with airport sleepers – so much so, that the good spots get scooped up quickly! The best and most plentiful chairs and benches are located airside in the Main Terminal, with some especially good spots located near the 2nd floor food court and the Samsung lounge. KLIA2 gets mixed reviews, with some travellers recommending avoidance if possible. No matter where you sleep, bring eyeshades and earplugs or noise cancelling headphones, as this airport is busy around the clock. That said, while the airport is open 24-hours, some travellers found themselves restricted landside if they tried to clear security late at night. Explore our guide to sleeping in Kuala Lumpur Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there is a transit hotel and sleep pods inside the airport, and several hotels nearby that are connected with shuttles. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations.
Good to Know
There are a lot of different ways people and airlines refer to the various terminals at Kuala Lumpur. The airport officially refers to its terminals as KLIA1 and KLIA2. However, some airlines will call them Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Other airlines will call the Main Terminal, “Terminal M” or “TM”. The Contact Pier is sometimes referred to as CP1.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Kuala Lumpur Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Plaza Premium Lounge (KLIA) – Temporarily Closed – Location: International Departures Building, Satellite Building, Airside, Mezzanine Floor, Level 2, near Gates C11 – C17. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
- The Lounge KLIA – Location: International Departures Building, Airside, next to Gate C5. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
- Plaza Premium First Lounge – Temporarily Closed – Location: Satellite Terminal, Airside, near Gates C21 – C27, Mezzanine Floor, Level 2. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (KLIA2, Gate L8) – Temporarily Closed – Location: KLIA2, Level 2, International Departure, near Gate L8. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
- Plaza Premium Lounge (KLIA2, Level 3) – Location: KLIA2, Level 3, International Departure. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
- The Lounge KLIA2 – Location: KLIA2, Airside, Level 3, International Departures. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
- KLIA Main Terminal, Airside – Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge (Domestic) • Malaysia Airlines Golden Lounge (Regional) • Malaysia Airlines Golden Business Class Lounge.
- Satellite Terminal, Airside – Malaysia Airlines Golden First Class Lounge • Thai Airways Royal Silk Lounge • China Airlines Dynasty Lounge • Cathay Pacific First and Business Class Lounge • Singapore Airlines SilverKris Lounge • The Emirates Lounge.
- KLIA2, Airside – Malindo Air Lounge • AirAsia Premium Red Lounge.
Related Pages: Kuala Lumpur Airport Lounges
KLIA Airport Hotels, Sleep Pods & Day Rooms
- Nearest Hotel: Inside the Airport
- Sleep Cabins & Pods: Yes
- Day Rooms: Yes
- Nearby Hotels with Shuttles: Yes
When the prospect of sleeping on the floor or in a chair is giving you nightmares, there is good news for those of you who are looking to sleep at KLIA Airport in comfort. If you are on a layover, you don’t have to go through security as there are three transit hotels offering both short-term and overnight rates. Several other hotels can be found in the public area of the both terminals and, of course, there are off-site hotels with paid airport shuttles.
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
KLIAIn Transit Sama-Sama Express KLIA – Located inside the airport at Satellite A Building near Gate C5. This hotel is only for travellers who are transiting between flights. Do not clear Malaysian Immigration and Customs after your arriving flight. Boarding pass is required at check-in. Day rooms are available on an hourly basis with a 6 hour minimum, prices starting at RM 290.00. » Check Rates In Transit Napzone KLIA – Temporarily Closed – Located Airside, Satellite Building, on the Mezzannine Level. The facility offers 28 sleep capsules that comes equipped with a bed, power socket, light, fan and WiFi. There are also lockers and massage chairs. Guests can use the shower facilities at the Sama Sama Express KLIA. » Check Rates At Airport Sama-Sama Hotel – This hotel is connected to the main terminal via covered sky bridge. It’s a 5 minute walk from the Arrivals Hall, or you can get there in 3 minutes with the hotel’s free buggy ride (operates 24/7). You can even check in right at the baggage area (Carousel F) from 7:00AM to 11:00PM. Day rooms are available for 3, 5 or 7 hour stays. Day spa packages are available. » Check Rates
KLIA2In Transit Sama-Sama Express KLIA2 – Located inside the klia2, Level 3. The hotel is available only to passengers transiting from one international flight to another. Do not clear Malaysian Immigration and Customs after your arriving flight. Guests arriving from KLIA main terminal or Domestic are required to check in their bags and present boarding pass for next flight (must be international flight) before being allowed into the klia2 Satellite Building. Rooms must be booked for a minimum of 6 hours and rates start at RM 195.00. » Check Rates In Transit Capsule Transit (Airside) – Located in KLIA2 Satellite building. There are 3 types of capsules (Single, Queen and Private Suite) that can be booked in blocks of 3, 6 or 12 hours. Single capsules are available in mixed or female-only zones, upon request. Single capsules start at RM 105 for 3 hours, RM 115 for 6 hours, and RM 125 for 12 hours. Queen capsules run RM 210/230/250 for 3/6/12 hours and Private suites run RM 230/250/270 for 3/6/12 hours. Shower only packages (warm water) are available for RM 29 which includes towel, shampoo, shower gel, hair dryer and slippers. » Check Rates Inside Airport Aerotel (KLIA2) – Located Landside (before immigration clearance) at Level 2M of KLIA2 Gateway, the hotel features rooms with single, double or bunk bed beds. Lounge access is included. Sample Rates: Single Room/3 hours/$US 75 OR 5 hours/US $131 • Double Room/3 hours/US $96 or 5 hours/US $167. » Check Rates At Airport Capsule Transit (Landside) – Malaysia’s first capsule hotel a 7 minute walk from KLIA2. If you are arriving at KLIA, you would need to take the Express train to the KLIA2 Station (RM 2.00). There are 3 types of capsules (Single, Queen and Private Suite) that can be booked in blocks of 3, 6 or 12 hours. Single capsules are available in mixed or female-only zones, upon request. Single capsules start at RM 105 for 3 hours, RM 115 for 6 hours, and RM 125 for 12 hours. Queen capsules run RM 210/230/250 for 3/6/12 hours and Private suites run RM 230/250/270 for 3/6/12 hours. Shower only packages (warm water) are available for RM 29 which includes towel, shampoo, shower gel, hair dryer and slippers. » Check Rates At Airport Tune Hotel – The budget hotel is connected to KLIA2 via covered walkway, and is a 10 minute walk from Arrivals Hall. KLIA Ekspres brings passengers to and from KLIA in 3 minutes. Day Rooms: Available between 7:00AM and 7:00PM (subject to availability). Sample rates: 2 hours for RM 79 / 6 hours for RM 109 / 12 hours for 139. » Check Rates
To see some options off-site with airport transfers, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Kuala Lumpur Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at KLIA Airport for up to 3 hours at a time. Connect to the “FREE_WIFI@KLIA” network. No registration required. If you don’t have your own mobile device, you can access the internet, free of charge, from the internet kiosks located in the Satellite Building.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Business Centre – Printing, faxing, photocopies and a limited variety of business services are available.
- Post Office – Send your last minute postcards to friends and family from the airport’s post office. Location: Main Terminal, landside. Hours: 8:30AM – 5:00PM (Mon – Sat).
- Telecommunications – Access the internet, make phone calls, reload prepaid phone cards and more for a free using the Multimedia Phone Kiosks located in the Satellite Building. Cash, coins and credit cards are accepted.
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby Care Rooms are equipped with a baby bed, changing table, chair and wash basin. Locations: Main Terminal Building • both Contact Piers • Satellite Building.
- Children’s Play Areas – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: Main Terminal, Level 5 • klia2, airside, International Departure Satellite, Level 2, near Elle Cafe.
- Strollers – Free strollers can be borrowed in KLIA2, in both the Arrivals and Departures Halls.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Many food options are available. The following are open 24 hours:
- KLIA: Bones (Satellite, Level 2) • Boost Juice Bar (Satellite, Mezzanine) • Burger King (Arrival Hall • Satellite, Mezzanine) • Flight Club (Satellite, Mezzanine) • Flight Club Grab & Go (Satellite, Mezzanine) • Food Paradise (Arrival Hall) • Fukuya @ KLIA (Satellite, Mezzanine) • Hameed Dalca Curryhouse (Arrival Hall) • Hameed Exotic Drinks (Arrival Hall) • Hot & Roll (Arrival Hall) • KFC (Main, Departures Level) • Marrybrown (Contact Pier, Domestic Level) • McDonald’s (Main, Departures Level) • Nooodles (Satellite, Mezzanine • Main, Departures Level) • Old Town White Coffee (Main, Departures Level • Contact Pier, International Level) • PappaRich (Main, Departures Level) • Secret Recipe (Satellite, Mezzanine) • Sports Bar by Bones (Satellite, Level 2) • Starbucks (Satellite, Mezzanine).
- KLIA2: Bar Metropole (Skybridge, Level 3) • Bibik Heritage (Departures, Level 3) • Bumbu Desa (Departures, Level 3) • Burger King (Satellite, Level 3) • Dim Sum (Level 3) • Dome (Departures, Level 3) • Dunkin Donuts (Gate J) • Hot & Roll (Departures, Level 3) • KFC (Departures, Level 3) • Mamak (Departures, Level 3A) • Marrybrown (Departures, Level 3) • McDonald’s (Satellite, Level 3) • Nooodles (Departures, Level 3A) • O’Brien’s (Satellite, Level 2) • PappaRich (Departures, Level 3) • Popeye’s (Satellite, Level 3) • Soul Chicken (Departures, Level 3) • Starbucks (Satellite Building, Level 2 • Departure Hall, Level 3 • Level 1A, near Gate J) • Tampopo (Departures, Level 3) • The Chicken Rice Shop (Satellite, Level 3) • Uncle Lim’s (Level 1A, Gate J) • Wincaa (Departures, Level 3).
- Airport Ambassadors – Stationed around the airport, the airport ambassadors are easy to spot with their sashes. Ambassadors can assist with everything from airport logistics, flight information and medical assistance.
- Information Desk – If you have any questions, visit one of the airport information desks. Locations: Main Terminal, Level 5 • Satellite Building, International Arrivals • Satellite Building, International Departure / Arrival • Contact Pier, International Departure / Arrival. The Malaysia Visitor’s Centre is open 24 hours a day. Location: Main Terminal, 3rd Floor.
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available free of charge throughout the airport.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Baggage Solution provides short to long term luggage storage and lockers. Location: Main Terminal, Level 3, Arrival Hall • klia2, landside, Level 2, Arrival Level. Hours: Open 24 hours. Rates:
- Storage – Storage room rates are per bag/per 24-hour period, from RM19.00 – RM51.00, depending on size. Oversized items are accepted. Discounts available for items stored longer than 7 days.
- Lockers – Medium and large lockers are available for RM40.00 (medium) and RM48.00 (large) per locker/per 24-hour period. Discounts apply for longer use.
- Luggage Wrapping – Protect your valuables! Get your luggage wrapped in the airport. Locations: KLIA, Landside, Departures Hall, Level 5 • KLIA2, Landside, Departures Hall, Level 3. Hours: 24 hours.
- Medical Services – Menara Medical Group offers urgent and emergency medical care. Location: Main Terminal, Level 3 • Satellite Building, East Zone • KLIA2, Main Terminal, Level 2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy – Stop by the following pharmacies for any last minute medication: Guardian – Locations: Satellite Building, Level 1, West Zone • KLIA, Main Terminal, Departures, Level 5 (Hours: 6:00AM – 12:00AM) • Caring Pharmacy – Location: KLIA2, International Departures, Level 3.
- Mobile Charging – Mobile charging points are available. Locations: Domestic Departures/Arrivals, 1A, Pier K (3 locations) • International Departures, Level 2, Pier L (1 location) • International Departures, Satellite Building, 2 Floor (2 locations).
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Main Terminal Building (Departures Hall, Arrivals Hall and Contact Pier) • Satellite Building.
- Banking Services – CIMB Bank, Maybank and Bank Muamalat offer full-service banking in the airport. Location: Main Terminal, Departures, Departures, Contact Pier and more. Hours: vary by location.
- Currency Exchange – Fifteen foreign exchange counters are available in the airport. Locations: Main Terminal Building • Contact Pier • Satellite Building.
- Prayer and Silent Rooms – There are Muslim prayer rooms (surau) available throughout the airport, on every floor and pier in each terminal. There is also a Silent Room, which is for travellers looking for a quiet place for prayers or meditation.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Rest N Go offers a little oasis of rest and relaxation in the middle of the Main Terminal. Comfortable massage chairs await! Location: Main Terminal, landside, opposite the Air Asia ticket counter.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty-free shopping is available in may locations, many of which are open 24 hours. There is a wide variety of retail shops to pass your time. There are approximately 12 convenience shops (Expressmart, 7-Eleven, etc.) available, some are open 24 hours.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Free cold water showers are available on the 4th floor, past the eateries. Additionally, showers can be found on Level 2 and 3, Main Terminal and Level 2 Satellite Building, it is not known if they are free or offer hot water. Hot showers are available at the Sama-Sama Express Hotel and KLIA2. Rate: RM 30.00 per person includes towel, soap and shampoo. The Capsule Transit (Landside) offers showers (hot water) for RM 29.
- Spa – Massage and a range of hair and beauty treatments are available at Wellness Salon. Location: Satellite Building, Mezzanine, Level 2, East Zone, opposite Emirates Lounge • Wellness Spa Location: klia2, International Departure, Level 3, near Popeye’s Chicken • Wellness Spa Location: Satellite Building, Mezzanine, Level 2, East Zone, opposite the prayer room.
- Reflexology & Massage Centre – Location: Lot SATP B1, Passenger Level, Satellite Building, KLIA (leading to gates C1-C5, next to smoking room). Hours: 7:00AM – 1:00AM Mon-Sat (closes at 12:00AM on Sundays) Rates: vary according to service.
- Smoking Lounges – Locations: Contact Pier, Domestic Level, near Gate B2 • Satellite Building, Mezzanine Level, near Gate C11 and C31.
Things to do & see
- Movie Lounge – Enjoy free movies in a comfortable setting. Location: klia2, airside, International Departure Satellite, Level 2, near Chocolatte Bar.
- Observation Deck – Relax and watch planes taking off and landing from the vantage point of the airport’s observation deck. Location: Landside, at the end of the Main Terminal Building, past the food hall.
- TV Lounges – Locations: airside and landside throughout the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Kuala Lumpur airport is served by the following airlines: Air Astana • Air China • Air Mauritius • Air New Zealand • Air Asia • AirAsiaX • All Nippon Airways • Bangkok Airways • Batik Air • Biman Bangladesh • British Airways • Cathay Pacific • Cebu Pacific • China Airlines • China Eastern Airlines • China Southern • Citilink • Condor • Emirates • Ethiopian Airlines • Etihad Airways • Eva Airways • Flynas • Garuda Indonesia • Himalaya Airlines • IndiGo • Indonesia AirAsia • Iraqi Airlines • Japan Airlines • Jetstar • KLM • Korean Air • Lion Air • Lucky Air • Mahan Air • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Air • Nepal Airlines • Oman Air • PIA • Philippine Airlines • Qatar Airways • Regent Air • Royal Brunei • Saudia Airlines • Shenzhen Airlines • SilkAir • Singapore Airlines • SriLankan Airlines • Thai Airlines • Thai Smile • Turkish Airlines • US Bangla Airways • Uzbekistan Airlines • VietJet • Vietnam Airlines • Xiamen Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The following car rental agencies can be found in the Arrivals Hall of KLIA: Avis (counter C6) • Hertz (counter B10) • Insas Pacific (counter C4) • Kasina Baru (counter B16) • Mayflower (counter C1) • Orix (counter C2) • Pantas (Lot CR17, Block D, car park).
The following car rental agencies are available at klia2: Asia Car • Avis • Europcar • Hawk • Hertz • Kasina • Mayflower Car Rental • Pacific Rent A Car • Xplore Drive.
KUL airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you are looking for an express bus service, a bus to connect to the central station, a city bus or a long distance bus, there is probably an option for you. For more information regarding routes, schedules and fares, visit the Kuala Lumpur Airport website.
A few area hotels provide airport shuttles: Tune Hotel KLIA Aeropolis • Qlassic Hotel • the youniQ Hotel
See also Airport Hotels above.
Free transfer service is now available for those passengers with interconnecting flights between KLIA and klia2. This is a free service but needs to be booked in advance.
There are two types of taxis are offered at the airport:
- Pre-paid with four different types of taxis and limousines to choose from: Budget Taxi (economy taxi – 4 passengers), Premier Limo (upgraded vehicles – 5 passengers), Super Luxury (Jaguar Type-S – 3 passengers) and Family Service (via Kia Pregio van – 8 passengers). Passengers need to purchase a coupon at the Airport Limo counters (Arrivals Halls and Domestic Baggage Claim).
- Budget, metered taxis are also available at Levels 1 and 3 of the main terminal building. A RM2.00 coupon is required in order to board one of these taxis.
KLIA is served by two train lines.
- The KLIA Ekspres is a comfortable, modern and wheelchair-friendly express service that transports passengers between KLIA and KL Sentral railway station in just 28 minutes.
- KLIA Transit is a commuter service that makes three stops on its route between KLIA and KL Sentral. Trains depart every 15 minutes during peak times. For more information on either of these train services, visit the KLIA Ekspres website
User Tip: You can get 10% discount if you use their app or the self service kiosks rather than the counter. And a further 10% for using Mastercard (which we found out by accident when we used ours to pay – it doesn’t seem to be advertised anywhere!). Also, if you want to use the baggage drop off at Sentral, you have to buy the Ekspres tickets first as there’s a barrier you need to scan it against to get into the baggage drop off bit.
Last updated: 2022-10-28
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.