Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Kualanamu Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
[Has] some mosquitoes so it is good idea to have some protection somehow. – zinuzoid
KNO Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Kualanamu International Airport.
What to Expect
- Kualanamu Airport (code: KNO) consists of a bright, spacious and modern single-terminal with stunning exterior and interior design that reflect the local Batak tribe. A wide variety of shops, restaurants, and services are available.
- WiFi is available to help pass the time.
- Tons of mosquitoes inside and outside the terminal, so wear mosquito repellent to keep them at bay!
- Believe it or not, this airport is currently the most popular hangout spot for locals, causing terrible traffic between the airport and Medan. Leave early to allow yourself plenty of time to get to the airport. One reviewer suggests leaving five hours before your flight!
- Mixed reviews on the temperature inside of the terminal, with some complaining of the heat and others claiming the air-conditioner makes the terminal too cold.
- Have enough local currency on hand to pay for the airport departure fee. The fee increases if you pay with USD or other accepted foreign currencies.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
A few couches are available in the Ticketing Office area. Otherwise, there is plenty of empty floor space, so have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy for added comfort. For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
Good to Know
You can’t check into flights until two hours before your flight departure.
Due to the current Covid-19 pandemic, all services and times listed below are subject to change. Some services and facilities may remain closed or operate with reduced hours. Airport tips and suggestions in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. If you are planning to sleep in the public area of the terminal overnight, have a back-up plan! We’ve heard from a few travellers at other airports and they were not permitted to stay overnight. We’re not sure if that will apply to this airport, until a reader lets us know the current situation. We will start updating all of our guides in October 2021. To help us with this massive update, you can add or update information or write a review and submit photos and airport tips.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Kualanamu Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in Kualanamu Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Horison Sky Kualanamu – (Inside Airport) Located on the Mezzanine Floor of the airport between departures and arrivals. » Check Rates
- The Crew Hotel KNO – (5 minutes from the airport) Reviews are mixed on this brand new hotel, but it’s the closest hotel to the airport. Airport transfers are available ($).» Check Rates
- Prime Plaza Kualanamu-Medan – (15 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle starts at 6:00AM. » Check Rates
- Airy Bandara Kualanamu 9 A39 Deli Serdang – (15 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle is available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kualanamu Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Saphire Bluesky Executive Lounge – Location: Airside, Domestic Boarding Area, 1st Floor. Lounge Access: Lounge membership program.
- Saphire Mandai Executive Lounge – Location: Airside, International Boarding Area, 1st Floor. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s web site.
- Garuda Indonesia Executive Lounge – Location – Domestic Terminal, Airside.
Related Pages: Kualanamu Airport Lounges
Free, unlimited WiFi is available at Kualanamu, connect to the “freewifi.kno or [email protected]” network.
The airport also offers internet stations where you can access the internet for free.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
Banking Services – BNI, BRI and Mandiri all have bank branches onsite which provide full-service banking services.Locations: Passenger Terminal, Domestic and International Arrival Areas. Hours: 8:00AM – 3:00PM.
Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play areas. The area includes slides, play structures, soft carpeting and more. Location: Domestic Terminal.
Currency Exchange – Foreign exchange services are provided by Money Changer and can be found in 2 locations. Location: Arrivals Area. Hours: 6:00AM – 8:00PM.
Drinking Water – Thirsty? Water fountains are available which are large enough to refill water bottles.
Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: A&W • Bakso Malang • Maximum • Serambi Deli. Alfa Mart and Indo Mart mini markets are also open 24 hours.
Game Centre – A game centre, with games such as air hockey, is accessible for all passengers for no charge Location: exact location is unknown. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Luggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your bags? Baggage carts are free of charge throughout the airport.
Luggage Wrapping – Service are available in 2 locations. Hours: 4:00AM – 8:00PM. Rates: 50.000 Rp/bag.
Massage Chairs – If you don’t have enough time for full spa services, electric massage chairs available. Location: Landside and Airside.
Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Movie Theatre – If you have time, watch a movie while waiting for your flight. Location: exact location is unknown. Hours: 7:00AM – 10:00PM.
Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s post office. Location: 2nd Floor, East Side.
Prayer Room – A prayer room is available in Departure Terminal at 2nd Floor, Pier, and Arrival Terminal at 1st Floor.
Rest Zones – The airport has created a rest area for weary passengers, but unfortunately we do not have any details or location. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
Shopping – There are variety of shops available including 2 mini-markets.
Showers – A reader tells us there are showers next to the toilets in the check-in counter area. (December 2019)
Smoking – There is a dedicated smoking lounge within a coffee shop. Location: Pier Level.
Spa – Head to the Batik Spa to enjoy some relaxing services. Location: International Arrivals Area. Hours: 7:00AM – 7:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Kualanamu airport is served by the following airlines: Air Asia • Batik Air • Cathay • Citilink • Garuda Indonesia • Indonesia Airways • Jetstar • Lion Air • Malaysia Airlines • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Silk Air • Sriwijaya Air • Susi Air • Wings.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Buses and Trains
Public buses and trains are cheap and depart to/from the airport every 30-60 minutes; however, some involve travel times of up to 120 minutes. Plan ahead and explore route, fare and schedule information, visit the Kualanamu Airport website.
Several car rental and private car hire companies are available, including ASSA Rent, Golden Bird, KSU Sena, TRAC, and Wisata Armada.
Visit the Kualanamu Airport website to get more information about the taxi service provided.
Last updated: 2021-10-20
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.