Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Kualanamu Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
[Has] some mosquitoes so it is good idea to have some protection somehow.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kualanamu International Airport.
What to Expect
- A bright, spacious, and modern single-terminal international airport with stunning exterior and interior design that reflect the local Batak tribe. A wide variety of shops, restaurants, and services are available.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Tons of mosquitoes inside and outside the terminal, so wear mosquito repellent to keep them at bay!
- Believe it or not, this airport is currently the most popular hangout spot for locals, causing terrible traffic between the airport and Medan. Leave early to allow yourself plenty of time to get to the airport. One reviewer suggests leaving five hours before your flight!
- Mixed reviews on the temperature inside of the terminal, with some complaining of the heat and others claiming the air-conditioner makes the terminal too cold.
- Have enough local currency on hand to pay for the airport departure fee. The fee increases if you pay with USD or other accepted foreign currencies.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- A few couches are available in the Ticketing Office area. Otherwise, there is plenty of empty floor space, so have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy for added comfort.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Saphire Bluesky Executive Lounge – Location: Airside, Domestic Boarding Area, 1st Floor. Lounge Access: Lounge membership program. [ more lounge info ]
- Saphire Mandai Executive Lounge – Location: Airside, International Boarding Area, 1st Floor. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Kualanamu Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- The Crew Hotel KNO – (5 minutes from the airport) Reviews are mixed on this brand new hotel, but it’s the closest hotel to the airport. Reviews speak to a free airport shuttle which runs every hour to/from the airport. » Check Rates
- Miyana Hotel – (30 minutes from the airport) Roundtrip airport shuttle is available on request (call +62 61 800 33 999), IDR.200.000 each way. » Check Rates
- Swiss-Belinn Medan – (45 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available upon request ($). » Check Rates
- Permata Inn – (45 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle is available upon request. RP.180.000/car/each way (may 4 persons) between hours of 6:00AM – 9:00PM, outside these hours a charge of RP.200.000/car/each way applies. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kualanamu Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free, unlimited WiFi is available at Kualanamu, connect to the “freewifi.kno or [email protected]” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
Currency Exchange – Foreign exchange services can found in 2 locations. Exact location is unknown.
Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: A&W • Bakso Malang • Bangi Kopi Tiang • Serambi Deli • Toko Edwin. Alfa Mart and Indo Mart mini markets are also open 24 hours.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Prayer Room – A prayer room is available in Departure Terminal at 2nd Floor, Peer, and Arrival Terminal at 1st Floor.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Shopping – There are variety of shops available including 2 mini-markets.
Showers – Not available.
Spa – Head to the Batik Spa to enjoy some relaxing services.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2018, Kualanamu airport is served by the following airlines: AirAsia • Batik Air • Citilink • Garuda Indonesia • Jet Star • Lion Air • Malaysia Airlines • Malindo Air • Saudi Arabian Airlines • Silk Air • Sriwijaya Air • Susi Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Buses and Trains
Public buses and trains are cheap and depart to/from the airport every 30-60 minutes; however, some involve travel times of up to 120 minutes. Plan ahead and explore route, fare and schedule information, visit the Kualanamu Airport website.
Several car rental and private car hire companies are available, including ASSA Rent, Golden Bird, KSU Sena, TRAC, and Wisata Armada.
Visit the Kualanamu Airport website to get more information about the train-link service provided.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.