Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Lilongwe Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
This airport closes in the evening and then only re-opens around individual flights because the airport is so small. – a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to
What to Expect
- A tiny single-terminal international airport with basic shopping and dining options.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- As of May 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
At the time of this update there was a VIP Lounge. We do not have access information.
If sleeping in Lilongwe Airport does not appeal to you, there are no hotels near the airport:
- Crossroads Hotel – (25 minutes from the airport) Roundtrip airport shuttle is available on request ($). » Check Rates
- Madidi Lodge – (30 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged upon request ($). » Check Rates
- Kiboko Town Hotel – (30 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged with a 3rd party supplier upon request for $35.00 USD each way. » Check Rates
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Lilongwe Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Unknown
Banking Services – A bank is available. Additional details are unknown.
Currency Exchange – Yes
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a magazine shop and gift shop.
Food & Drink – The airport offers food and beverage concessions but location (landside or airside) and the hours are not known.
Information Desk – Information not available however there is a tourist information desk that may be of assistance.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Medical Services – There is a First Aid station; however, hours and location are not known.
Pharmacy – Yes
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to [email protected] and we will update this airport guide.
As of February 2018, Lilongwe airport is served by the following airlines: Ethiopian Airlines • Kenya Airways • South African Airways.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport. A one-way trip between the airport and Old Town takes about 30 – 40 minutes.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.