Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Lisbon Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Frequently rousted by security, but generally allowed to stay put. – euromancan
LIS Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Lisbon Portela Airport (Code: LIS).
What to Expect
- Lisbon airport has two terminals. Terminal 1 handles arrivals and departures on traditional airlines (ie. TAP Air Portugal), whereas Terminal 2 is for flights on low-cost carriers (ie. easyJet).
- Terminal 1 is reportedly much newer and nicer than Terminal 2, with better food and shopping choices.
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for locations and rates.
- Showers can be found in a few of the lounges.
- WiFi is available to help pass the time.
Sleeping in Lisbon Airport
- According to a July 2022 review, T1 does not allow travellers to check-in for flights after 12:00AM. Travellers were permitted to stay Landside. Reviewers unanimously recommended Terminal 1 over Terminal 2 for sleeping options. In particular, try the rest zone around Gates S19 and 20, airside.
- There are couches in the Terminal 1 food court and near some of the gates. Landside, there are quiet areas on the upper level.
- Some reviewers warned of cold AC, so considering bringing a blanket and warm clothes.
- Explore our guide to sleeping in Lisbon Airport or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Lisbon Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Lisbon Airport:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
- Melia Lisboa Aeroporto Hotel – Located next to Terminal 1. The hotel is within walking distance. » Check Rates
- Star Inn Lisboa – Located next to Terminal 1. The hotel is within walking distance. » Check Rates
- Radisson Blu Hotel Lisbon » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Lisbon Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
ABC – Airport Business Center – Location: Terminal 1, Landside, near check-in desks 14-36. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.Passes ANA Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, 6th Floor, Praça Lisboa. Showers are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs. Passes Blue Lounge – Location: Terminal 1, Airside, near Gates 7-13. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Lisbon Airport Lounges
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Lisbon Airport. Connect to the “VINCI Airports wifi” network.
Additionally, there are several internet kiosks available Landside and Airside.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Post Office – CTT offers postal services, stamps, telephone cards and more. Location: T1, landside. Hours: 8:30AM – 7:00PM (Mon-Fri) 9:00AM – 6:00PM (Sat) 9:00AM – 1:00PM & 2:00PM – 5:00PM (Sun, holidays).
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Sinks, changing tables, and worktops are available in baby changing rooms located landside and airside throughout T1 and T2. There are fourteen changing rooms in T1 and two available in T2. Two additional baby changing rooms offer a private area for breastfeeding. Those two rooms are located near Gates 41 and 44 in the International area (non-Schengen). To make things even easier for little travelers, airport restrooms (26) located landside and airside are retrofitted with children’s toilet seats.
- Children’s Play Areas – A fun and colorful play area for children ages 2 to 7 is available.
- Family Room – Travelling with kids? Check out the Family Room, a quiet and comfortable oasis for families, away from the crowds. The family room has comfortable couches, a kitchenette with microwave, a baby bottle warmer, vending machines and entertainment for the kiddos. Location: landside.
- Strollers – Available for use in the airport, free of charge, for babies up to 3 years old or 15kg. You can pick up an airport stroller, marked with the ANA logo, after security and leave it at the gate when you board your flight.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1, Landside: Go Natural • Go To Cafe • Grab It
- Terminal 1, Airside: 1st Cafe (two locations) • Cockpit
- There are no 24-hour dining options in T2.
- Check out the Express Market in Terminal 1, Airside, offering a new concept in vending machines.
- Information Desk – Location: Arrivals Hall, Landside • Departures Hall, Airside, next to Gate 15A. Hours: 7:00AM – 12:00AM.
- Travel Agencies – If you are arriving in Lisbon and need local arrangements or help planning a really last minute trip abroad, there are a number of travel agencies with offices (all Landside) at the airport that can probably be of assistance. Abreu (2 locations), Geostar and the Portugal Tourist Information Desk.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Baggage Deposit rates are per item, per day, as follows: €3.36 for up to 10kg, €4.98 for 10 – 30kg, and €9.87 for more than 30kg. Location: next to Car Park P2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping – SafeBag luggage wrapping service. Location: T1, landside, Check-In. Hours: 5:00AM – 10:00PM. • T2, landside, Check-In. Hours: 5:30AM – 1:30PM and 3:00PM – 7:00PM.
- Medical Services – Available at the First Aid Stations in both Terminals. Hours: unknown.
- Pharmacy – Farmacia Aeroport. Location: Landside. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – Recharge your mobile devices and yourself at the Living Spot. See Rest Zones.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Banking Services – Full-service banking is available at Santander. Location: T1, landside Hours: 8:30AM – 3:00PM (Mon-Fri).
- Currency Exchange –
- Nova Câmbios and Unicâmbio offer currency exchange, money transfers and VAT refunds. Unicâmbio even offers a free battery charging service!
- Nova Câmbios locations: T1, landside (Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM) • T1, airside, non-Schengen (Hours: 5:00AM – 11:00PM) • T2, landside (Hours: 5:00AM – 8:00PM) • T2, airside (Hours: 5:00AM – 8:00PM).
- Unicâmbio T1 only locations: landside, Arrivals (Hours: 5:00AM – 1:00AM) • airside, Gate 15 (Hours: 6:00AM – 7:00PM) • airside, Central Plaza (Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM) • airside, Luggage Collection Room (Hours: 5:00AM – 12:00AM).
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – The airport offers a rest zone called “Living Spot”. This is a free area where you can lay down on recumbent chair, charge your mobile phone or use one of the interactive features. Location: Terminal 1, Departures Restricted Area/Airside, near gates S19 and 20.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free Store has three airside locations in T1 (one of them is non-Schengen), and one airside location in T2. All locations are open from 4:30AM – 12:00AM. A wide variety of retail shops, selling everything from chocolates and wine to clothing and books, is also available.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are available in the ABC Business Center and ANA Lounge. [ See Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa – Absolute Beauty offers massages and haircuts/styling services. Location: T1, Landside. Hours: 8:00AM – 8:00PM, except Sundays and Holidays when it is open 10:00AM – 7:00PM.
- Smoking – There is a designated smoking area available. Location: Airside, near Gates 17-21 • Airside, non-schengen area, near the gates 46 and 47 • Baggage Claim, near belt 4.
A reader sent us this information: Terminal 1 is open 24 hours. Terminal 2 closes at night. (November 2018)
Lisbon airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroflot • Air Algérie • Air Arabia • Air Baltic • Air Canada • Air Europa • Air France • Air Moldova • Air Nostrum • Air Transat • American Airlines • Arkia • Azul • Beijing Capital Airlines • Binter • Blue Air • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Bulgaria Air • Czech Airlines • Croatia Airlines • Delta Air Lines • EasyJet • EL Al Israel Airlines • Emirates • Euro Atlantic • Eurowings • Flyone • Iberia • Isair • KLM • Lufthansa • Luxair • Norwegian • Orbest • Ryanair • Royal Air Maroc • STP Airways • Swiss • TAAG • TACV • TAP Portugal • Transavia • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Vueling Airlines • Wizz Air.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
This service provides regular transportation between Lisbon airport, bus terminal, rail terminals, major hotels, and several main points of the city. Two different Aerobus lines are available: Line 1 to City Center and Line 2 to Financial Center. As of this update, tickets are 3,60€ for an adult single line 24-hour ticket or 5,40€ for an adult return 24-hour ticket.
Five public bus lines operate in and out of the airport. At the time of this update, a Carris/Metro single ticket is 1,45€ (1,80€ on the bus) and a 1-day ticket (valid for 24 hours) is 6,30€. There is a baggage size limit for these buses: 50x40x20cm. If your luggage is over the size limit, you will need to take the Aerobus.
Avis, Budget, Europcar, Goldcar, Guerin/Enterprise, Hertz and Sixt rental car agencies operate reception desks at the airport.
Group Airport Shuttles
100 Rumos operates a shared-ride airport shuttle service between LIS airport, Lisbon, and Porto. This door-to-door service is ideal for those who want a relaxing and comfortable way to travel to or from the airport. Fares start at 6€ per person, per ride.
See also Airport Hotels above.
A reader tells us the shuttle bus between Terminals 1 and 2 operates between 3:30 AM till 1:00 AM. (November 2018)
Lisbon Airport can be reached by underground train from the city. Passengers can reach the airport from Saldanha (Lisbon city center district) in 16 to 21 minutes on the metro’s red line. As of this update, a Carris/Metro single ticket is 1,45€ and a 1-day ticket (valid for 24 hours) is 6,30€. The Airport Metro Station is open from 6:30AM to 1:00AM.
Taxis are readily available at the airport and are an affordable way to reach the city. At the time of this update, a typical ride including luggage will cost 10,00 – 15,00€.
Lisbon Oriente Station (Gare do Oriente) is a modern and architecturally stunning train station. Trains from this station travel to cities within Portugal and major cities in neighboring countries. To reach Oriente Station from the airport, take the metro’s red line to the Oriente Station stop or take buses N.208, N.705, or N.744.
Last updated: 2022-03-16
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.