Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Liverpool Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The real jewel was the meditation-prayer room /never seen anything like that …thanks to John Lennon? -a traveller
LPL Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Liverpool John Lennon Airport.
What to Expect
Liverpool Airport (code: LPL) has a modern terminal that handles domestic and international routes. Amenities include a variety of eateries and shops. For added comfort while you wait, economy class passengers can pay to enter an airport lounge. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for location and access information.
Sleeping in Liverpool Airport
Overnight travellers seem to have no problem spending the night here, but you will have to stay landside until the early morning. Try the comfortable couches in and near the cafes that close for the night, but they will start to get busy by 5:00AM. If you prefer spreading out, a sleeping bag or blanket provides added comfort to sleep on the marble window sills or floor. For uninterrupted sleep, hotels are nearby, including one directly across from the terminal. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information. For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Liverpool Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Aspire Lounge – Location: Airside, Lower Level. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Liverpool Airport Lounges
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there is a hotel at Liverpool Airport:
- Hampton by Hilton Liverpool/ John Lennon Airport – Located opposite the John Lennon Terminal. A two minute walk from baggage claim to the hotel. » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Liverpool Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available for 4 hours and beyond that time you can purchase speed Premium WiFi for £5 per session.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – A baby changing facility is available in the upper retail level.
- Family Rooms – A family room is available Landside (by Starbucks) and by the upper retail level toilets.
- FastTrack/Park Option – Pre-book a Family package which offers you a wider parking space (just a one minute walk to the terminal) and includes four free Fast Track tickets (2 adult + 2 children) for quicker security processing.
- Nursing Room – While breastfeeding is permitted throughout the airport, there is a dedicated, private room if you prefer. Location: by the upper retail level toilets.
- Pre-Ordered Baby Food – Located airside on both the Upper and Lower Retail levels, Boots drugstore offers pre-order service for baby food and formula. Simply place your order 2-7 days before your travel and pick up at the designated Boots location, freeing up space in your hand luggage for other essentials.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions, both Landside and Airside, operate on varying schedules, with most open at 4:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
- Mobile Charging – Joos allows you to charge your devices as you move around the terminal. Joos Power Banks can be picked up at the Joos Boxes in the following locations: opposite Check-in desks • Departure Area • near Gates 11-17.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs, operated by Travelex, are available. Machines dispense Euro, Sterling, Polish Zloty, Swiss Francs, and Turkish Liras. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Airside and Landside.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex has three currency exchange counters: Check-in, Landside, Ground Floor. Hours: 8:00AM – 6:00PM (Thu – Mon) 8:00AM – 4:30PM (Tue) 8:00AM – 4:00PM (Wed) • Airside, Level 3. Hours: 4:00AM – 7:00PM (Mon, Thu) 4:00AM – 4:30PM (Tue) 4:00AM – 4:00PM (Wed) 4:00AM – 8:00PM (Fri, Sun) 4:00AM – 6:30PM (Sat) • Arrivals. Hours: 8:00AM – 9:00PM (Mon – Sun).
- Prayer Room – Location: Upper level, airside.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Fast Track Service – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: £5.00 pre-booked online.
- Duty Free & Shopping – World Duty Free has two shops in the Departures area of the airport; one in the Departure Area on Level 2 and the other on the Departure Area on Level 3. In addition, you’ll find a WHSmith, a WHSmith “sound” store, a Boots drugstore, and shops selling gifts, souvenirs, sports gear and beauty products. Most shops are open at 4:00AM but close at various times.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
- Smoking – There is an outdoor designated smoking area located Landside which can be accessed from the lower level, past the Kissing Gate Bar & Restaurant.
Things to do & see
- Airport Tours – Find out what happens at the airport during a behind-the-scenes airport tour. Duration: approx. 2 hours.
- Art in the Airport – There are a number of John Lennon, Beatles and non-Beatles related collections throughout the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours, even though security checks open at 4:00AM.
Liverpool airport is served by the following airlines: Aer Lingus • EasyJet • Jet2.com • Logan Air • Lufthansa • Play • Ryanair • Wizz Air • Widerøe.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Popular bus routes with service to the airport include the following: Arriva 500 (Airport Express), Arriva 80A, Arriva 81A, Arriva 82A, Arriva 86A, Arriva 89, Arriva 3A. For schedules, routes and fares, visit the Liverpool Airport website. Extra info on buses and fares can be found on the Merseytravel website.
The following car rental agencies are available in the Car Rental Centre, located on the ground floor of the multi-storey car park: Avis/Budget • Enterprise/National/Alamo • Europcar • Hertz.
See also Airport Hotels above.
Shared Ride Services
ArrivaClick is available at Liverpool Airport. This offers travellers “on-demand” minibus service, using ride-sharing technology (via an App), enabling multiple passengers travelling in the same direction, to share their ride. To learn more about the service, visit the Liverpool Airport website.
Hackney cabs are readily available at the taxi rank outside of the terminal entrance. All cabs accept credit card payments.
Lisbon South Parkway is the closest train station to Liverpool Airport with trains heading to all destinations in the UK. This station is located approximately 3 miles from the airport and can be reached with the 80A and 81A buses, departing approximately every 20 minutes.
Last updated: 2024-01-30
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, is subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers, and their websites. We are not representatives of any of the above-mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.