Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our London Luton Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
The absence of seating has long been a source of complaint of other passengers, and as a result it is likely that you will have to walk around a sprawling mass of bodies on the way to your departure gate. This often resembles the aftermath of a humanitarian disaster, which in many ways is exactly what it is. – a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at London Luton Airport.
What to Expect
- Luton airport has a single terminal.
- 24 hour concession options can be found both landside and airside.
- This airport is reportedly quite busy, with long and difficult security lines.
- Some reviewers warned of dirty bathrooms and seats, so you might want to pack hand sanitizer and tissues.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- Good sleeping spots may be hard to come by at this airport. Reviewers recommended the benches in the arrivals area, landside, as the best option.
- Several reviewers mentioned homeless people or unusual characters at this airport. If you are a solo traveler, be sure to stay on your guard.
- Reviewers warned that this airport is noisy, crowded, and very cold. We definitely recommend earplugs and warm layers if you want to sleep.
- Explore our guide to sleeping in London Luton Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
Passes Aspire Lounge – Location: Airside, 1st Floor opposite Monsoon Store. Showers and nap rooms are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge passes • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
[ update ]
If sleeping in London Luton Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Holiday Inn Express London Luton Airport – (10 minute walk or 5 minure drive from the airport) This hotel does not run an airport shuttle, but is located near a First Capital Connect shuttle bus station, a free shuttle which links to the Luton Airport Parkway train station. » Check Rates
- ibis London Luton Airport– (10 minute walk from the terminal) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- ibis Budget Luton Airport– (10 minute walk from the terminal) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Luton Airport – (20 minute walk or 5 minute drive from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
- Courtyard Luton Airport– (5 minute drive from the airport – walkable) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near London Luton on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
[ update ]
Free WiFi is available for 4 hours. Connect to the “Luton Airport WIFI” network for access. For additional time, there is a faster premium service for £3 per hour, or if you already have an account with a roaming WiFi provider, you can access it by connecting to the “roaming partners” network and then logging in.
[ update ]
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Printing Stations – If you need a boarding pass, travel itinerary or a page or two of a document printed, go to the Excess Baggage Company for assistance. Rate: £5.00 per print job. Location: Check-In area, landside, Departures Level, opposite Bar des Voyages.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Diaper changing rooms are available throughout the airport, located next to the men’s/women’s restrooms. If you need a quiet, private place to breastfeed your baby, a Passenger Service Assistant can show you to the nearest place.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Landside: Costa Coffee (departures • arrivals) • Pret a Manger (departures • arrivals) • Starbucks (departures • arrivals) • The Great British Sausage Company.
- Arrivals: Ready-to-eat meals and snacks are also available at Mark & Spencer Simply Food grocery store, open 24 hours a day in the Arrivals area.
- Information Desk – Location: Check-In Hall, landside, near the entrance to security.
- Passenger Service Assistants – Need help finding your way around the airport? Passenger Service Assistants are available throughout the airport to answer your questions, set you in the right direction or even assist you with getting help for a medical emergency. They’re easy to spot – just look for their brightly-colored clothing with the “i” information symbol, or you can pick up a red courtesy phone to call for assistance.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Excess Baggage Company offers left luggage storage at the following rates: £5.00 per bag / item (up to 2 hours) • £10.00 per bag / item (from 2 – 24 hours) • £5.00 per bag / item (every 24 hours after). Location: Main Concourse, opposite Bar des Voyageurs. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Trolleys – Rate: £2 / €2 – non refundable. Payment by cash or card.
- Luggage Wrapping – Services are available in the check-in area. Rate: starting at £8.00 per bag.
- Mobile Charging – Power up your mobile devices for free with the UK plug sockets and USB points situated throughout the terminal. There are also plug sockets available under the bench seating in Benugo in the Departures Lounge.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Sterling and Euros are dispensed. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: in the Check-In area, the Departures area and the Arrivals area.
- Currency Exchange – International Currency Exchange (ICE) offers foreign currency exchange, Western Union money transfers, and more. Five locations are available both landside and airside. Hours vary by location, the landside branch (departures) is open 24 hours.
- Prayer Room – Prayer books, prayer mats, a directional sign, washing facility and more are available in the interfaith Prayer Room. A multi-faith chaplaincy team is available onsite to offer comfort and emotional support. Location: Departures lounge, airside, near Gate 20-28. Hours: The prayer room is open 24 hours a day, to travelers of all faiths or the non-religious.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – Aelia Duty Free shop, located airside, is open 24 hours. A small variety of retail shops are available airside, and there is a WHSmith newsstand open 24 hours landside.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers can be found inside the Aspire Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking Areas – There are no designated smoking areas inside the terminal.
[ update ]
A reader tells us the airport closes from 1:00 AM to 4:00 AM. (July 2019)
[ update ]
As of May 2019, London Luton airport is served by the following airlines: Blue Air • easyJet • El Al Israel Airlines • Ryanair • SunExpress • TUIFly • Vueling • Wizz Air.
[ update ]
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Bus / Coach
The airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you need a shuttle bus to the train station, want a fast bus connection to central London or need a long distance coach, there is probably a bus for you. To plan your route, visit the London Luton Airport website.
Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt are available onsite at Luton Airport. Location: Car Hire Centre. Free shuttle buses between the terminal (from Bay C) and the car hire centre are available.
Taxis are readily available outside of the airport terminal. Taxis can be hailed on the street for rides to the airport. Note, if you your taxi drops you off at the Priority Drop Off Zone (closest to the airport) there is a charge of £3.00 for up to 10 minutes wait time. Alternatively, you can be dropped off at the Mid Term Car Park for free and take the shuttle to the airport.
The airport terminal is connected to the Luton Airport Parkway rail station by a 10-minute shuttle bus ride. The shuttle departs every 10 minutes from 5:00AM – 12:00AM, or according to train schedule for the overnight trains. For fares and to plan your route, visit the London Luton Airport website.
Pro-Tip: A reader tells us the shuttle is “cash only, but there is a cash-point at the train station. I find this often catches foreigners out, and even some Brits, and have sometimes just paid for their tickets to keep things moving quietly. The prices (as of May 2019) are £2.40 for a Single, £3.80 for a Standard Open Return. Children between 5 and 15 travel half price, and under 5s go free.”
[ update ]
Last updated: 2019-07-15
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.