Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our London Stansted Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Recent changes mean that parts of the landside terminal are now closed and locked out of passenger use overnight including toilets until security opens in the morning. When security opens, staff request everyone to wake up and move people along. -a traveller (March 2018)
Effective 11 June 2018, London Stansted Airport will be closed periodically from 12:00AM – 2:00AM. Sleeping on floors, air mattresses, sleeping mats and sleeping bags is no longer permitted.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at London Stansted Airport.
What to Expect
London Stansted is a small, single terminal airport, mainly serving budget airlines. While the airport is pretty barebones, you can expect 4 free hours of WiFi, plenty of electronic outlets, and a handful of food and beverage spots, including one grocery store. For those looking for a little added comfort, there is one first class lounge that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for location and access information.
Where to Sleep
As of June 2018, London Stansted Airport will close periodically from 12:00AM – 2:00AM. The airport no longer permits sleeping on floors, air mattresses, sleeping mats or sleeping bags. Explore our guide to sleeping in Stansted Airport or read some traveller reviews for more tips. If you have a late arrival or early departure from this airport, you should plan to either stay at the hotel connected to the airport, or one of the other hotels nearby, connected by shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below for more information.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there is a lounge that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
If sleeping in Stansted Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hampton by Hilton – (250m from the airport) Connected to the terminal via a walkway. » Check Rates
- Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport – (2 minute walk from the terminal) Connected via covered walkway. Day rooms for 4 & 8 hour blocks are offered between the hours of 8:00AM – 6:00PM. » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express London Stansted Airport – (5 minutes from the airport) Shuttle bus operates from 4:00AM to 12:30AM (every 30 minutes). To the airport: the shuttle operates on the hour and half hour. From the airport: the bus departs from Bay 21 at 15 and 45 minutes past the hour. (£3.00 per person). » Check Rates
- De Salis Hotel Stansted – (5 minutes from the airport) The hotel’s 24-hour airport shuttle departs every 20 minutes. Cost is GBP 6 per person. » Check Rates
- Hilton London Stansted Airport – (6 minutes from the airport) Shuttle bus operates from 4:15AM to 1:00AM (£3.00 per person). The shuttle bus departs Coach Station Bay 20 at the airport on the hour and 30 minutes past the hour. The shuttle bus departs the hotel for the airport every 15 and 45 minutes past the hour. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Stansted Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available in London Stansted Airport for 4 hours. Connect to the “_stanstedairport” network. After your four hours is up, additional time can be purchased in increments as little as 24 hours for £9.
If you don’t have a mobile device for connecting to WiFi, internet kiosks are available landside. Printing facilities are available as well. Payment can be made by credit card, voucher, or coin.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby changing facilities are available in the following locations:
- Departures: Zone A Check-In area restrooms • Main Departures Lounge (nursing room also available) • Family restrooms at Gates 13, 33/34, 43, and 59 • Gates 81-88 area (ladies restroom)
- Arrivals: UK Baggage Reclaim (ladies restroom) • International baggage reclaim 1 (family restroom) • Intl Baggage Reclaim 9 (restrooms) • Arrivals Route 40-59 (accessible toilet) • Main Arrivals Greeting area (restrooms).
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Most food concessions throughout the airport operate according to flight schedules. The following options are available 24 hours: Harris + Hoole • Pret-a-Manger coffee shop • Starbucks.
- Grocery Store – Need to pick up groceries on your way home from the airport? M&S Simply Food has produce, wines, deli items, ready-to-go meals and everyday household items. Location: Arrivals, landside. Hours: 4:00AM – 11:00PM.
- Information Desk – Get info about the airport or flights, page a person, send or receive faxes, make photocopies or print online boarding documents (£5.00 each) at the Information Desk. Locations: International Arrivals area, landside (Hours: 24 hours) • Departures lounge, airside (Hours: unknown).
- Baggage Trolleys – Need a hand with your luggage? Baggage trolleys are available in designated areas of the terminal, baggage reclaim, car parks, and the airport rail and coach stations. Rate: a refundable deposit of £1, €1 or $0.25 coin.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Left luggage storage is available at the following per-item rates: £8 per day / £48 per week for carry-on suitcases/bags • £10 per day / £60 per week for larger suitcases/bags • £20 per day / £120 per week for oversized items. Location: Luggage-Point Airport Services desk, landside, International Arrivals, Zone A. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Luggage Weighing – For £1 per bag, you can avoid overage charges by checking the weight of your luggage before you check it in. Six Luggage Point weight check systems are located throughout Zones A – G, landside in the Check-In area. If your bag is overweight, you get a free weight recheck after you have adjusted the weight.
- Luggage Wrapping – Rates start at £10 per bag. Location: Luggage-Point Airport Services desk, landside, International Arrivals, Zone A. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy – Location: Boots, after security (airside). Hours: 4:00AM – 10:00PM.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, write a review or email us at [email protected]
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside and Airside.
- Currency Exchange – Moneycorp kiosks can be found in these locations: Zone A (next to M&S) • Zone F (landside) • Airside (before World Duty Free) • Departure Lounge • Baggage Reclaim • International Arrivals. Hours: Vary per location, but the one in Zone A is open 24 hours. Moneycorp foreign currency ATMs dispense Euro and Sterling 24 hours a day, both landside and airside.
- Prayer Room – There are two 24-hour interfaith prayer rooms in the airport: One is located landside opposite Check-In Zone A, and the other is located airside near Escape Lounge in the main Departure Area. Ablution (ritual washing) facilities are located next to each prayer room.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Fast Track Service – As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: £7.00 book online before 10 PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping – World Duty Free is available, as well as a variety of retail shops. Most stores are open from first flight of the day until the last.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
- Smoking – There are no designated smoking areas inside the terminal. Once you have passed through security, there will be nowhere to smoke.
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Changing Rooms – Changing rooms are available airside in the main Departures lounge, and landside at Arrivals.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of March 2018, London Stansted airport is served by the following airlines: Air Corsica • Air Mediterranean • Air Moldova • Arkia • Atlasglobal • Aurigny • BMI Regional • British Airways • Cobalt • easyJet • Emirates • Eurowings • Flybe • Jet2 • Pegasus Airlines • Primera Air • Ryanair • Thomas Cook Airlines • Titan Airways • Transun • TUIFly • WOW Air.
The airport is well connected to the bus system. Whether you need a shuttle bus to the train station, want a fast bus connection to central London or need a long distance coach, there is probably a bus for you. The airport bus and coach terminal is located opposite the main terminal entrance. Tickets are sold at ticket desks in Arrivals, at the bus and coach terminal (open 24 hours), or on board from the driver. To plan your route, visit the London Stansted Airport website.
The following car rental companies are located at the airport: Alamo • Avis/Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Hertz/Firefly • Interrent • National • Sixt.
Stansted Airport rail station is located directly below the terminal building, just a 2-minute walk from Check-in and Arrivals. Trains are available to central London, long-distance destinations and more. Train tickets are sold online, at the rail station or in the Arrivals area of the airport terminal. To plan your trip, visit the London Stansted Airport website.
24×7 Stansted is the official taxi service provider of Stansted Airport, offering 24-hour transportation to and from the airport. Fares are flat rate, accessed according to final destination, with any extra fees or tolls already included. Credit cards are accepted.
Last updated: 2018-10-23
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected]