Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Montreal Trudeau Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Around 23 pm they closed a majority of lights and the only sound we could hear was a few employees passing by or the announcer, but overall it is an awesome place to sleep. – mariemaea32
YUL Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Montreal Trudeau International Airport.
What to Expect
Montreal Trudeau Airport (Code: YUL) is a busy two-level, single terminal international airport divided into 4 sections: domestic, international, transborder and a public area. Amenities are fairly standard throughout YUL. It has a good range of shops and restaurants – two of which are located landside and open 24- hours. There is also a good spot for plane spotting. The airport offers 60 minutes free WiFi. Once that period expires, you can begin another session after watching an advertisement. Power outlets are apparently difficult to find – so charge your devices ahead of time. For those looking for a little added comfort, there are first class lounges that economy class passengers can pay to access. See Airport Lounges for locations and access information.
Sleeping in Montreal Airport
Landside, the best place to sleep seems to be around the check-in area of the terminal. However, it can be bright, cold and loud here, making a blanket, an eye mask and noise cancelling headphones or earplugs definite assets. Airside has a number of designated rest areas and armrest-free seating in the International departures area. If you’re looking for uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel connected to the airport, and other hotels nearby, connected by shuttles. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Montreal Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge – Multiple Locations – (1) Domestic Departures, (1) Transborder Departures and (1) International Departures.
- National Bank Lounge (Swissport) – Location: International Departures, Airside, between gates 52 and 53. Lounge Access: Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
- Desjardins Odyssey Lounge – Location: International Departures, Airside, between Gate 63. Lounge Access: Desjardins credit cardholders.
- Air France Lounge operated by Plaza Premium Group – Location: Airside, International Concourse, Gate 57. Hours: 3:00PM – 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Montreal Airport Lounges
If sleeping in Montreal airport sounds like a nightmare, there is a hotel connected to the terminal and several nearby hotels offering free airport shuttles. Shuttle pick-up is at Door 7 on the Departures Level (2nd floor).
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.At Airport Montreal Airport Marriott In-Terminal Hotel – Connected to the airport through the US Departures terminal. » Check Rates
Hotels near Montreal Airport with airport shuttles
- Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel » Check Rates
- Aloft Montreal » Check Rates
- Comfort Inn Montreal Aeroport » Check Rates
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Montreal Airport » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels near Trudeau Airport that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Airport WiFi / Internet
Free WiFi is available at Montreal Trudeau Airport for 60 minutes. Connect to the “YUL Wi-Fi” network. Open your web browser and agree to the terms.
Pro-Tip: Once your free session is over, you can start it again for free after watching another commercial. You can repeat this as many times as you want.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Postal Services – Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailboxes located Landside. Stamps are available for purchase at the Maison de la Presse newsstands.
- SIM Cards – A reader tells us “Chatr has pretty good SIM card deals; 10GB for C$55 + taxes (as of September 2022) and the data speed is great!” Available landside in Arrivals.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Nursing rooms offer comfortable seating, sinks, changing tables, and in some cases a microwave. You’ll find them next to most restrooms throughout the airport.
- Children’s Play Area – Located at most boarding areas. An Air Transit playground has been added in the International Area for kids under 7 years old.
- Family Services – Courtesy carts for children are available at the information desks in the departures area. Priority queues are available for families with children, head to screening checkpoints “A” and “C”.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drinks – Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this post-Covid update, the only 24-hour option is a Subway (Landside, Arrivals).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – A cloakroom is available to store a wide range of items ranging in size from envelopes to bicycles. Sample rates are: Envelope – $5.00/day • Carry-on bag – $7.00/day or $25/week • Jacket – $5.00/day or $20/week. Rates are available per day or per week for up to 5 weeks. Valid photo ID and boarding pass / flight ticket are required for service. Location: Domestic area, landside. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM (Daily).
- Luggage Carts – Need a hand with your luggage? Available free of charge in the baggage claim areas, parking lots, passenger drop-off areas and the International jetty.
- Luggage Wrapping – Available starting at $12/bag at two Safe Bag kiosks, located landside in the Departure zone, near Gates 3 and 5. Hours: Open during flight hours.
- Mobile Charging – A reader let us know that there are electrical and USB outlets are available for mobile charging.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Debit cards are accepted at all ATMs, but if using a credit card for cash advance, please note that Bank of Montreal ATMs only accept MasterCard, while Royal Bank ATMs only accept Visa. Foreign currency ATMs are located in the international area (Euro available) and transborder zone (USD available). Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: throughout the airport.
- Currency Exchange – International Currency Exchange (ICE) kiosks offer services in accordance with flight schedules and are available in these locations:
- Landside – Arrivals level • New Commercial Zone
- Airside – Canada area (Gate 01) • International area (Gate 50 • Gate 53 • Luggage Zone) • United States area (Gate 76).
- Pet Relief Area – Location: Outdoors, near the multi-level car park.
- Prayer Room – Gather your thoughts in a peaceful interfaith prayer room. Location: Transborder-US Departures area, near the Java U restaurant.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are a number of recliner seats and flat padded couches scattered throughout the International departures area.
Take precaution even when sleeping in the rest zones. In December 2019, a traveller at another airport reported that money and credit cards had been stolen from their bag even though the bag was right beside them. Protect and lock your bags as you would sleeping elsewhere in public.
- Duty Free & Shopping – The Loop duty-free shops are available airside in the International area (near Gate 52 and near Gate 63), and the Transborder-US area (near Gate 75). In addition, a variety of retail stores are available throughout the airport. The 1 Minute shop may come in handy for last minute snack and drink needs. Location: Landside, International Arrivals. Hours: according to flight schedules.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Not available.
- Spa & Salon Services – Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and more are available at BALNEA Spa Voyage. Locations: Transborder-Canada area, airside, Gate 5 • International Area, airside, Gate 50 • Transborder-US area, airside, Gate 81. Hours: according to flight schedules.
- Smoking Area – Smoking, including e-cigarettes, is prohibited throughout the terminal building. There are smoking areas in front of the terminal.
Things to do & see
- Art in the Airport – Art exhibitions are available throughout the airport.
- Entertainment Lounge – Gamers can enjoy 25+ games on Playstation consoles at Cyber Station. Rates: $9.99 (30 minutes) • $18.99 (1 hour) • $34.99 (2 hours) + tax. Snacks are available. Location: International Departures, Airside, Gate 53.
- Planespotting – Watch planes land and take-off from Jacques-de-Lesseps Park, Trudeau Airport’s official observation park! Bring a zoom lens here in the afternoon to take great pics of planes arriving and departing for Paris. Location: Intersection of Halpern and Jenkins at the airport’s southeast side.
- Therapy Dogs – YUL’s Pet Squad consists of 30 dog teams that walk around the airport to help calm anxious travellers or bring a few moments of entertainment for waiting passengers.
Other Airport Services
- Shoe Shine – Walter’s Shoe Care. Locations: Transborder-Canada area, airside, Gate 1 • United States area, airside, Gate 76. Hours: Open during flight hours.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Montreal Trudeau airport is served by the following airlines: Aegean Airlines • Aer Lingus • Aeroméxico • Air Algérie • Air Canada • Air China • Air Creebec • Air France • Air India • Air Inuit • Air New Zealand • Air Saint-Pierre • Air Transat • Alitalia •All Nippon Airways • American Airlines • Arkefly • Asiana Airlines • Austrian Airlines • Avianca • British Airways • Brussels Airlines • Canadian North • Cathay Pacific • Condor • Copa Airlines • Corsair • Croatia Airlines • Delta Air Lines • Egyptair • Etihad Airways • EVA Air • Finnair • Flair Airlines • Iberia • Icelandair • InterJet • Jet Airways • KLM • Level • LOT • Lufthansa • Miami Air • MEA • Norwegian Airlines • OWG • Pal Airlines • Pascan Aviation • Porter Airlines • Qatar Airways • Royal Air Maroc • Royal Jordanian • Sata • Singapore Airlines • South African Airways • Sunwing Airlines • Swiss • TAP • Thai Airways • Tunisair • Turkish Airlines • United Airlines • Volare Airlines • WestJet.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The 747 Express is a 24-hour city bus line that runs between YUL airport and the central bus station, Gare d’autocars de Montréal – Berri UQAM metro station. The trip can take 45 – 70 minutes, depending on traffic. As of this update, a fare card is $11, good for 24 consecutive hours of unlimited travel on Montreal’s public bus and metro network. For more information, visit the STM web site.
The 204 Cardinal is a city bus line that runs between the airport and Dorval train station. The 209 bus runs between the airport and the Roxboro-Pierrefonds train station. For more information on visit the STM (Societe de Transport de Montreal) website.
The following car rental agencies can be found on the ground level of the multistory car park at the airport: Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Thrifty.
Many area hotels provide airport shuttle service: Aloft Montreal Airport • Comfort Inn Aeroport Dorval • Comfort Inn Montreal Aeroport • Courtyard Montreal Airport • DoubleTree by Hilton Montreal Airport • Embassy Suites by Hilton Montreal Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Montreal Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Montreal/Dorval Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Montreal Airport • Holiday Inn & Suites Montreal Airport • L’Auberge De L’Aeroport Inn Dorval • Quality Hotel Dorval Aeroport • Quality Inn & Suites P.E. Trudeau Airport • Radisson Hotel Montreal Airport • Residence Inn by Marriott Montreal Airport • Sheraton Montreal Airport Hotel.
There are 3 courtesy phones near door 8 on the Departures Level where you can contact your hotel for pick-up.
See also Airport Hotels above.
The airport is serviced daily by the following regional bus lines:
- Orleans Express: Montreal-Trudeau > Ottawa, Montreal-Trudeau > Québec, Montreal-Trudeau >Trois-Rivières
- Aeronavette: Montreal-Trudeau > Eastern Townships
Uber rides pick-up from Gate 8 on the Departures Level or Gate 21 on the Arrivals Level.
Taxi and Limousine Service
Taxis and limousines are available for hire at the Arrivals Level central exit. A dispatcher will be available to assist. As of this update, taxis charge according to the meter for all destinations except downtown, for which a flat rate is available ($41). Limousine fares are based on a zoned rate card.
The AirConnect airport shuttle connects Montreal-Trudeau International Airport with VIA Rail, a nationwide inter-city passenger railway service in Canada. AirConnect runs between the airport and the VIA station in Dorval every 20 to 30 minutes.
Last updated: 2022-10-28
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.