Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Queenstown Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Queenstown airport in New Zealand is one of the most scenic airports and one of the smallest international airport. – a guest reviewer
ZQN Airport Overview
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down about what to expect during your time at Queenstown Airport.
What to Expect
The scenic Queenstown Airport (code: ZQN) has a small terminal that handles domestic and international flights. Amenities include a couple eateries and cafes and several shops. WiFi is free for up to 2GB per 24 hours. Economy class passengers can pay to enter an airport lounge. See Airport Lounges in the guide below for location and access information.
Sleeping in Queenstown Airport
The airport closes nightly from 10:30PM until 5:00AM, so overnight stays are not permitted. For uninterrupted sleep, nearby hotels offer free shuttle service. See the Airport Hotels section below for locations or read some traveller airport reviews for more tips.
Some airport reviews and tips in this guide and elsewhere on the site were written before March 2020 and may no longer be valid. To help us keep this guide up-to-date, you can add or update information or write a review to submit airport tips and photos. You can also visit the airport’s web site for current information.
For more airport information continue scrolling down to explore more in our Queenstown Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security. For more information on Europe’s Schengen Area, click here.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door, purchasing a lounge pass or through a lounge membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Air New Zealand Lounge – Location: Landside. Lounge Access: Lounge membership programs.
- Manaia Lounge – Location: Airside, International Departures. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Prepaid lounge pass • Lounge membership programs.
Related Pages: Queenstown Airport Lounges
If sleeping in the airport sounds like a nightmare, there are hotels near Queenstown Airport:
With Covid restrictions constantly changing, we recommend that you confirm shuttle availability prior to booking and/or prior to your arrival.
- Ramada Suites by Wyndham Queenstown » Check Rates
- DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown » Check Rates
- Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa » Check Rates
- Wyndham Garden Remarkables Park » Check Rates
For more options, visit Tripadvisor to see a list of hotels in Queenstown, search deals and read traveller reviews.
Free WiFi is available at Queenstown Airport for up to 2 GB per 24 hours. Additionally, there is an internet lounge with 16 computers beside the International Arrivals area. Internet time can be purchased ($2 for 15 minutes) from the information desk. Printing services are also available.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
- Postal Services- Drop off your last minute postcards at the airport’s mailbox. Location: near the Paper Plus store.
- SIM Cards – A reader has asked us to include where to buy SIM Cards. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- WiFi – see “Airport WiFi/Internet” above.
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby changing facilities are available in most of the toilets throughout the airport.
- Children’s Play Areas – There are no children’s play areas.
- Family Services – Parents Rooms are available which include change tables, microwaves and toys and is free to use. Locations: Landside, next to the Information Desk • Airside, International Gate Lounge. There are also change tables in most of the bathrooms.
Food & Drinks
- Food & Drink – All restaurants open half an hour before the first flight, and close half an hour after the last scheduled flight, 7 days a week. Airside, there is an Airspresso Kiosk located in the international departure area. Landside, there is the Airspresso Café and Bar, Patagonia Café and the Savoury Corner.
- Information desk – The Airport Information Desk is open 30 minutes before the first scheduled flight of the day, and 30 minutes after the last scheduled flight of the day. Location: Near International Arrivals.
- Luggage Carts – unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Charges for a locker are $7 for a small locker, $10 for a medium locker, and $15 for a large locker per 12 hour period. Oversized items can be stored at the Airport Information Desk for $20/12 hours, per item. Location: Outside of the terminal, near Check-In.
- Medical Services – A First Aid Room is available for urgent medical issues. Stop at the Airport Information Desk first for assistance. The First Aid Room is located next to the Spark Store at the International Arrivals Exit.
- Pharmacy – TravelPharm is located between Paper Plus and Airspresso Café in the international departure area. Hours: opens half an hour before the first flight, and closes half an hour after the last scheduled flight, 7 days a week.
- Mobile Charging – At the time of this update, we did not have any information about mobile charging availability. If you know, click here to update this airport guide.
- ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. An ANZ ATM accepts both New Zealand and foreign Visa (PLUS), Mastercard (CIRRUS) and Diners Cards. Travelex dispenses both NZ and AUD. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: International Arrivals • Main Terminal.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex provides currency exchange, wire transfers and travellers cheques. They have an office in the check in hall. Hours: opens half an hour before the first flight, and closes half an hour after the last scheduled flight, 7 days a week.
Rest & Relaxation
- Hotels – see “Airport Hotels” above.
- Lounges – see “Airport Lounges” above.
- Rest Zones – There are no dedicated sleeping areas, quiet areas or rest zones. If this information has changed, click here to update this guide.
- Duty Free & Shopping – There are 3 duty-free stores in the airport, located in departures, arrivals and the main airport terminal. There are also a few other shops selling local art, books, sweets, phones, souvenirs and outdoor wear found throughout the terminals. All retailers open half an hour before the first flight, and close half an hour after the last scheduled flight, 7 days a week.
Showers, Salon & Spa
- Showers – Showers are not available.
- Smoking Area – Smoking areas are not available inside the terminal. There is a designated smoking area outside in the forecourt.
Other Airport Services & Facilities
- Disabled Services – Services include automatic doors, braille keys, handicap toilets, wheel-chair friendly spaces and elevators.
The terminal is open daily from 5:00AM – 10:30PM. Overnight stays are not permitted in this airport.
Queenstown airport is served by the following airlines: Air New Zealand • Jetstar • Qantas • Virgin Australia.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
- Ritchies Wannaka – Provides a connection to Wanaka via Cromwell.
- Orbus – easiest connection to Queenstown, with a flat-rate fare of $2.00 (June 2019).
- Airport Super Shuttle – Shared and private micro coach shuttles that connect the airport with major accommodation.
- Buckley Track Transport – Shuttles between all tracks in the Wakatipu area
- Glenorchy Journeys – Shuttles between the airport, Glenorchy and the walking tracks in the Mt Aspiring National Park. Also provides a shuttle service from the airport to Divide.
The following companies have car rental offices in the airport terminal, near the arrivals/baggage claim exit doors. Ace • Avis • Budget • Enterprise • Europcar • Ezi Car Rental • Hertz • Jucy • Thrifty.
At the time of this update there were no hotels offering an airport shuttle. See also Airport Hotels above.
Taxis are available in front of the arrivals hall.
Last updated: 2022-10-28
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.