Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Rovaniemi Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
Lots of security around, but they did not bother me.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Rovaniemi Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal airport, served mainly by seasonal international flights. Rovaniemi is the “Official Hometown of Santa Claus”, so this airport gets very busy during the Christmas season!
- Clean facilities and minimal shopping and dining options.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overnights are not permitted in this airport.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If sleeping in Rovaniemi Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Santa Claus Holiday Village – (4 minutes from the airport) Free airport transfers. For airport pick-up, please notify hotel at least 2 days prior to arrival. » Check Rates
- Snowman World Igloo Hotel – (4 minutes from the airport) A hotel made entirely of ice! Open December through April. No airport shuttle. Hotel rate includes admission to Snowman World, breakfast, special sleeping gear and an Arctic Night survival certificate. » Check Rates
- Chalet Hotel Rovaniemi – (10 minute from the airport) Airport transfers are not available. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Rovaniemi Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Rovaniemi Airport. Connect to the “Free Wi-Fi for you by Finavia” network.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Children’s Play Area – A children’s play area can be found near the boarding gates.
Duty Free & Shopping – Duty Free is available as well as a gift shop.
Food & Drinks – There are no 24 hour food concessions. The airport offers the Rovaniemi Cafe Landside (Hours: coffees, sweets and snacks are available throughout the day, lunch is available 11:00AM – 2:00PM on weekdays) and the Rovaniemi Cafe Airside offers a larger menu and alcohol beverages (Hours: open according to flight schedules).
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Not available.
Post Office – Rovaniemi is the Official Santa Claus Airport. Visit the post office to ensure Santa receives your wish list in time. Location: main terminal, second floor. There is also a mailbox in the main terminal.
Rest Zones – The airport offers an area Airside with rocking chairs where you can relax.
Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 5:00AM – 12:00AM (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat) • 5:00AM – 10:30PM (Wed, Fri, Sun). The terminal is closed at night.
As of February 2018, Rovaniemi airport is served by the following airlines: Finnair • British Airways • Lufthansa.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
The following car rental companies have offices onsite: Avis • Budget • Europcar • Firent • Green Motion • Hertz • Scandia Rent • Sixt • Toyota Rent. Location: first floor of the terminal. Note, some offices are only open with prior reservations, be sure to check in advance.
Bus and Train
The airport is well connected to the public transportation system. Whether you are looking for a bus to the city centre, a ski resort, the local train station or Santa’s village, there is probably an option for you. For more information, visit the Rovaniemi Airport website.
The airport is also served by a shuttle bus offering service to the city centre with a number of stops along the way at popular hotels. At the time of this January 2018 update, one-way adult fare starts at 7,00€. For routes and schedule information, visit the Airport Bus website.
Taxis are readily available at the airport.
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide, write a review or send an email to [email protected] and we will update this guide.