Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Shannon Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
I read on this website that the 3rd floor (panorama) had the most comfortable seats, so I went there and began sleeping at 23h. But at 23h15 the security told me (nicely) to go away. -Kisco
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Shannon Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, but modern single-terminal airport with friendly airport staff and a few shops and restaurants, including 24-hour dining!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Several reviewers described the frigid temperature inside of the terminal, making it almost impossible to relax or sleep. Have a travel blanket, sleeping bag or sweater for warmth!
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
Where to Sleep
- On the 1st level, opposite the departure gates, is an open area with cushioned seats near a restaurant.
- The benches between the elevators provide a warmer sleeping place than other areas of the terminal, but noise from the elevators can be bothersome. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out any airport noises.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
Pay-per-use, Single Visit Passes & Lounge Memberships
Regardless of what class of service you are flying, there are lounges that you can enter by paying at the door or through a lounge membership program (ie. Priority Pass). Visit the individual lounge page for more details about the lounge itself and to also find out how you can gain lounge access with just an economy class ticket!
- Burren Suite – Location: Airside, adjacent to Gate 6. Non-Transatlantic passengers only. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
- Boru Lounge – Location: Airside, adjacent to Gate 7, Departure Lounge. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Lounge membership programs. [ more lounge info ]
If sleeping in Shannon Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport – (2 minute walk from the airport) Located opposite the main terminal. Day rooms are offered. » Check Rates
- Carrygerry Country House – (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Shannon Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Shannon Airport. If you do not have a mobile device, coin operated Internet terminals are also available in the WH Smithbook store on the arrivals level. Hours: open 24 hours.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
Amusement Corner – Located Landside by the Taxi Desk.
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: in the Check-in Area, Arrivals Hall and Departures Hall.
Currency Exchange – There are four ICE facilities at the Shannon airport: Departures Check-In (5:00AM – 8:00PM) • Arrivals Hall (5:00AM – 8:00PM) • Customs Hall, Arrivals (6:00AM – 2:00PM) • Departures Lounge, Airside (5:00AM – 4:00PM).
Duty Free & Shopping – Shannon Duty Free is available and is open 6:00AM – 10:00PM. There are also two WH Smith stores, the one in the Departures is open 24 hours a day.
Family Services – The following services are available:
- Baby Care Facilities – Baby change facilities are available both Landside and Airside.
- Children’s Play Area – When you want to ensure your kids burn off all their energy before their flight, take them to the children’s play area. Location: Airside, 1st Floor, near gate 7 and beside the Aviation Gallery in the transit area.
- Travelling with Special Needs Children – Contact the airport in advance, they can help get you through the airport quicker and smoother. Children receive a ballcap and bracelet. Families will also be provided access to the Sensory Room (Airside, 1st Floor, near the Children’s Play Area).
Food & Drinks – There is a 24-hour restaurant located airside in the departures lounge (Sheridan Food Pub). In addition, you will find: Gate 8 Cafe (Airside. Hours: 7:30AM – 12:30PM) • Zest Food Market (Airside. Hours: 5:30AM – 9:00PM) • The Atlantic Cafe (Landside. Hours: 6:00AM – 10:00PM).
Information Desk – Need help finding your way? An information desk is located near the front entrance.
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Location: Link Corridor, Terminal Building. Hours: 6:00AM – 11:00PM. Rates: from €3.00 per day.
Mobile Charging – Power outlets are available in the transit seating areas as well as in the booths at the airport’s restaurants and bars.
Post Office – A mailbox is located next to the WH Smith bookstore in the arrivals area.
Prayer Room – Location: unknown. Roman Catholic Mass is held on Sundays at 8:45AM.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Available in the Rineanne Suite. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
Smoking – Permitted in a designated area Airside, adjacent to the airport Transit Lounge/Departures Area.
The airport is open 24 hours.
As of February 2019, Shannon airport is served by the following airlines: Aer Lingus • Air Canada • American Airlines • Delta • Lufthansa • Norwegian • Ryanair • United Airlines.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Bus Eireann offers service between Shannon Airport and major Irish cities. For fares, routes and schedules, visit the Bus Eireann website.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Avis/Budget, Dooley Car Rentals, Enterprise, Europcar and Hertz.
For taxi service from the airport, visit the airport cab desk in the Arrivals Hall.
Last updated: 2019-02-15
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.