Whether you have a layover, overnight sleepover or you are just quickly passing through, our Tromsø Airport Guide is a great place to start planning your visit. Here, you’ll find information on services and facilities available inside the airport – including details about airport lounges, WiFi, mobile charging points, lockers, 24-hour food options, nearby hotels, and everything in between.
the head of security was pointing out a patch of grass in the middle of the airport car park where we were welcome to pitch our tent! -Sal
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Tromsø Airport.
What to Expect
- A small international airport with two terminals: Terminals A and B. Shopping and dining options are limited and close at night. Have snacks and beverages handy for later, if you plan to stay the night.
- Many travelers who spend the night at this airport choose to do so, due to the expensive hotels in town, and to catch an early flight.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- If you plan to spend the night here, make sure to show up before the terminal closes for the night. Upon closing, all doors are locked, and passengers will not be let in or out.
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Near the cafe in the baggage claim area, you will find three comfortable couches. Throughout the airport, there are rows of seats without armrests, perfect for laying across, but have a sleeping bag handy to keep warm if you are staying during the winter. A sleeping bag or travel mat will also come in handy for added comfort if you choose to sleep on the floor. Either way, airport security will not bother you if you don’t make a mess or cause any trouble.
- Flights arrive until around 1:00AM, and start departing between 4:00AM – 5:00AM, leaving little quiet time without foot traffic. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones and a sleep mask handy to block out the lights and noise!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
In this guide we may refer to locations as “landside” and “airside”. Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are a First or Business Class traveller you may have access to the lounges listed below. For more information, check the airline’s website.
- SAS Café Lounge – Location: Terminal A, Airside.
If sleeping in Tromsø Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Scandic Grand Tromsø – (3 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. » Check Rates
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Tromsø Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Tromsø Airport for two hours. Connect to the “AIRPORT” network and Select “GRATIS WiFi”. After your two hour limit, you can log on again.
More Services, Facilities & Things To Do On A Layover At The Airport
ATMs / Cash Machines – Need cash? ATMs are available. You can withdraw Norwegian kroner, Euro and GBP. Fees may apply, so be sure to check your bank’s fee schedule and your daily withdrawal limit if you are travelling internationally. You may also want to notify your bank of your travel plans. Locations: Landside, Ground floor • Airside, past security.
Duty Free & Shopping – The airport offers Duty Free (open for all flights) as well as four other shops (mostly selling magazines, books, etc.). The Point Kiosk (Landside, Arrivals) maybe a good option for last minute snack needs.
Food & Drinks – At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour food concessions available. The airport offers five food outlets, with the majority being open from 10:00AM – 10:00PM (reduced hours on Saturday).
Luggage Storage & Lockers – Luggage lockers can be found to the left of the baggage conveyor belts in the Arrival Hall. Rates: from NOK 60 per 24 hours. Storage limit is 30 days and must be paid with a bank or credit card. Key Storage is available at Point Kiosk for NOK 30.
Mobile Charging – A reader, who visited Tromsø Airport in March 2018, let us know there are two outlets in the baggage claim area, next to the couches.
Rest Zones – Not available.
Showers – Not available.
A reader (April 2019) mentioned that the airport is only open 5:00AM – 11:00PM; however, we have reviews from travellers who have slept overnight there. We recommend reading more reviews before spending the night. If you have more information about the airport hours, click here to update this airport guide.
As of February 2019, Tromsø airport is served by the following airlines: Finnair • Lufthansa • Norwegian • SAS • Thomas Cook • Widerøe • Wizz Air. Note: the airport may be served by additional airlines on a seasonal-only basis.
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
Buses 40 and 42 are public buses that run a local route, stopping at the airport enroute. Total travel time is 15 – 20 minutes in one direction, and tickets are available at the Point kiosk in Arrivals Hall.
The Airport Express Coach travels exclusively between the airport, select hotels in downtown Tromsø, the University of Tromsø and the University Hospital. For fares and schedules, visit the Flybussen website.
Car rental services are available on the 1st floor of the airport, near Check-In. The following agencies are located onsite: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Rent a Wreck and Sixt.
Taxis are readily available outside of Arrivals. Total trip time between the airport and central Tromsø is about 10 minutes in one direction.
Last updated: 2019-02-28
This guide is for informational purposes only to assist with your planning. All information, including rates and hours, are subject to change at any time without notice. The information in this airport guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports, lounges, hotels, transportation providers and their web sites. We are not representatives of any of the above mentioned service providers. To report errors or to add/update any items mentioned in the guide: update the airport guide or write a review.